• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

CloneBD presale questions (... AnyDVD HD too)

markfilipak

I have a lifetime license for AnyDVD HD -- latest: 8.3.5.0. I have tried experimenting but I have questions not addressed by the FAQ. Answers will help me further evaluate some continuing problems I am exeriencing.

Q1.1: Are BD ISOs made with AnyDVD HD unprotected?
Q1.2: Will a BD ISO made with AnyDVD HD play without AnyDVD HD installed?
Q1.3: Will the BD ISO mount and play in Linux?
Q1.4: If I burn the BD ISO to a BD-ROM, will it play in Linux and in my home theater?
Q1.5: AnyDVD HD doesn't actually remove region coding, does it?

Q2.1: Does "CloneBD lets you copy any unprotected Blu-ray to your hard drive ..." include BD ISOs made with AnyDVD HD?
Q2.2: If "CloneBD will also convert your Blu-ray discs to all popular file formats, such as .mp4, .mkv, ...", is the result a pile of loose files?
Q2.3: Can I have an example of that file (those files) and how to then play them?
Q2.4: Does the result have the menus that the BD had?
Q2.5: Does "CloneBD supports all regions (A,B,C)" mean that the resulting files cannot be played if I uninstall CloneBD or play the video in a system without CloneBD installed? (This question may seem like a non sequitur, but it isn't because, from prior questions, I've concluded that AnyDVD HD doesn't actually remove BD region coding but, instead, performs some sort of trick, and I assume that CloneBD performs the same trick.)

I'm intentionally not mentioning the continuing problems I'm experiencing because I don't want to distract any ensuing discussion away from my simple questions.

Warm Regards,
Mark.

PS: As of today, I have nearly 1000 ISOs.

1.1 yes, unless you specifically tick the box on the ripping window that tells it to keep protection
1.2 yes, ignoring the fact that there's always the possibility of incorrect playback behavior due to protection issues, it should still play
1.3 If linux has the ability to mount them, they should
1.4 should behave exactly like an original (both iso aswel as a physical copy of the iso)
1.5 Yes it does, if you tell it too (there's a setting for that under blu-ray settings

2.1 yup, you don't even need to rip first if you don't want to (although recommended for speed / heat generation). You can have just anydvd running in the background and clone straight from the disc in the drive.
2.2 mp4 / mkv is a file container and contains a single file (usually people use this option to create an mp4 for playback on phone, tablet,...) this is a different cloning mechanism than a full disc backup
2.3 if you can play an mp4 made with your phone (eg with VLC) then it should play the ones from CloneBD, if you clone to a full disc structure you may need proper blu-ray playback capable software such as powerdvd
2.4 mp4/mkv won't, those are single title files. Otherwise they should, unless you tell cloneBD not to keep them
2.5 CloneBD doesn't care about regions, it's not a player by default (unless you could use it as such with the preview player, in a limited way). If the source was region free, then the output will be too. If it wasn't (due to not telling anydvd to remove the region), then the output won't be either (unless you convert to mp4/mkv). It's not a trick, AnyDVD does remove the region on the backup

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:
1 yes, unless you specifically tick the box on the ripping window that tells it to keep protection
2 yes, ignoring the fact that there's always the possibility of incorrect playback behavior due to protection issues, it should still play

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Thanks Ch3vr0n,

What about my CloneBD questions?

sorry was answering from phone and realised it would take too long, swapped to PC. Post was updating while you were typing that :)

sorry was answering from phone and realised it would take too long, swapped to PC. Post was updating while you were typing that :)
LOL.

I mount & play ISOs on a Win7 laptop that I use as a media server. It connects to my home theater via HDMI. I don't have a smart phone. I assume I don't really need CloneBD. Correct?

I don't know that, my needs are different from yours. I don't know how you hook the laptop op, how its being used to load the ISO's or how the playback is done. Only you can make that call. Even if you wouldn't absolutely "need it", you could still use it to do a full disc copy from a BD50 (double layer disc) to BD25 (single layer disc) and thus take up half the space for a rip

I don't know that, my needs are different from yours. I don't know how you hook the laptop op, how its being used to load the ISO's or how the playback is done.
It's just an ordinary laptop. On a shelf beside the laptop, I have 3, 4TB USB drives. I choose the USB drive that has what I want to watch, and I simply plug it into the laptop. The laptop's HDMI is connected to the home theater unit (which is what drives the TV). Windows is configured with HDMI (the TV) as the primary display -- I don't use the laptop's built-in display at all. I mount the USB drive via Virtual CloneDrive, launch either PDVD or VLC, and play the video. It's an inelegant setup, but it's simple and it works.
Even if you wouldn't absolutely "need it", you could still use it to do a full disc copy from a BD50 (double layer disc) to BD25 (single layer disc) and thus take up half the space for a rip
So CloneBD is a transcoder. I can pass on that. I prefer full resolution.

Thanks for the clarification. Some concrete usage examples (like what I just wrote) would be very helpful to add to AnyDVD documentation.

To flesh things out a bit: Two of the three 4TB drives have the 'videos'. The third 4TB drive is for parity. I only need to plug all 3 drives into my main computer when I add or remove an ISO file, or if a drive fails. Except for those events, I put the parity drive away. The parity is striped across the data drives (which act as a JBOF). I can add up to 4 more data drives (6 data drives total) while still using a single parity drive as loss prevention.

Last edited:
Transcoding doesn't reduce resolution 1 bit, transcoding MAY reduce video quality when needed. 720p, 1080p those are resolutions. Clbd uses x264 which is an excellent encoder. Bd's are encoded originally with a lot of overhead in the video, before clbd even begins to touch video quality it strips away the excess overhead, that alone reduces file size.

Been doing it since the start of clbd and haven't regretted it one bit.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 7 met Tapatalk

I concur with Chevron on video quality after compressing with Clbd. So far, compressing down to BD25 I have not been able to tell the difference on my 55inch smart TV. In the past I have compared frames on my PC monitor from compressed to original and I really had to pixel hunt to see differences which on playback, were just not visible long enough for me to detect. It's worth experimenting with Clbd to see if compressing is acceptable because if it is, the space saving is worthwhile. You can try it for free, and will just have a watermark on the copy which is fine for testing purposes.

Back