• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

[S] Firmware 1.02 for LG BH16NS55

Yup, that looks correct. There's almost no risk of perma-bricking the drive because it's using the built in update process. Dosflash whacks the entire eeprom which is why it's considered dangerous. The patched windows flashers do not do that. To be clear, there's always a risk involved, but, it's no more risky than running an official update.

That particular firmware is a pain in the ass as it disables downgrade in multiple ways. There are some steps you must take if you want to get the drive working for UHD in more than just LibreDrive mode for MakeMKV.

First, you will need to flash the MK 1.03 version for that drive. That will re-enable the stuff that LibreDrive needs to work and also re-enable firmware downgrades. I'm not sure if the MK 1.03 version has been tried with AnyDVD...it might work so I would try it after flashing the MK 1.03. If it does not, then you will need to flash the DE 1.02 firmware. But that can only be flashed after the MK 1.03 firmware is flashed first.

Things to note. Dosflash is completely irrelevant here as 1.03 has disabled dosflash access to that drive. Downgrading does not re-enable it, either. Fun! But yes, depending on the USB enclosure, you should be able to flash it using a patched flasher. If it does not work, it means your particular enclosure is not compatible with flashing.

Hope this helps!

@SamuriHL seems to have gotten a little confused here. A BH16NS55 with 1.03 can be downgraded normally using the modifed ASUS flasher. Firmware 1.04 is the crappy one that has disabled DOSFLASH and the normal downgrade method. This can be currently be overcome by using the modified ASUS flasher to flash firmware ASUS 3.10 MK first, then you can downgrade to LG 1.02 or whatever other firmware you choose.

@SamuriHL seems to have gotten a little confused here. A BH16NS55 with 1.03 can be downgraded normally using the modifed ASUS flasher. Firmware 1.04 is the crappy one that has disabled DOSFLASH and the normal downgrade method. This can be currently be overcome by using the modified ASUS flasher to flash firmware ASUS 3.10 MK first, then you can downgrade to LG 1.02 or whatever other firmware you choose.

Ahhhhhhhhhhh damnit you're right. I forgot it was 1.04 not 1.03. Man there's too many drives and firmware out there! So yes, follow what Marty says!!!

(P.S. I hope to hell we can get 1.04 to Mike at some point so the MK 3.10 step isn't necessary for that drive!)

Ahhhhhhhhhhh damnit you're right. I forgot it was 1.04 not 1.03. Man there's too many drives and firmware out there! So yes, follow what Marty says!!!

(P.S. I hope to hell we can get 1.04 to Mike at some point so the MK 3.10 step isn't necessary for that drive!)

Yep, Mike successfully obtained 1.04 from my drive yesterday. Now, we need to give him a few days to hopefully come up with something.

Perfect! That'll be good to have in the bag for future drive owners.

That'd be nice. I'd like to have it re-enabled "just in case". Not that my new PC has IDE mode on the sata ports. SIGH.

Hi guys,

I am having trouble. I am connecting my BD drive via SATA to USB3 and attach it to my Win10 notebook. But the patched installer does not like the drive. Am I mistaken somewhere? BH14NS40_N1.00-A4_patched.exe is the patched installer, right? Anything I have to take into account that is missing right now?

And again THX SO MUCH!

Goes back to what I said originally that *IF* your USB enclosure supports flashing.....not all of them do. When you say "does not like the drive" that's not super descriptive about what's happening when you try to flash.

It's more than 90% likely that your SATA ->USB chip set / firmware doesn't support flashing optical drives. Any chance to take it out and connect it to SATA directly?
Sometimes you can also update the firmware of the SATA-> USB chip set but this is even more complicated.

Sorry for not being descriptive. When I said "does not like" I mean that the tool does not recognise the drive even if Windows does. But that's what you've said, most likely my USB chipset is crappy.

So I found myself an old DELL mini PC (160) that theoretically should help. SATA ports, BIOS has ATA option. Unfortunately the first SATA port is not usable (mounted in a way that you need a cable I don't have) and the second port can only hold a boot drive OR my BD drive.

Any idea how I could build a USB pen drive or anything like that for booting that includes the tool? If I could boot the computer using something that is NOT a SATA HDD drive I could probably help myself out of this...

No no no no. None of that IDE crap. LOL That's not necessary nor is connecting it to the first SATA port. That's only for dosflash which we're not doing here. And yes, you can absolutely build a WinPE instance to do this flashing no problem.

https://www.aomeitech.com/pe-builder.html

Use that and you can throw the firmware flashing tool and the firmware on it and you should be good to go. No dosflash! :)

Oups, right, the IDE part was only for the unwanted dosflash. It's already a little late for me. I've downloaded the PE builder and now I've to go to bed. Tomorrow in the morning I am going to try it out. That looks like a good chance...

Ok, I could not sleep and went back to give it a try: It worked and I am VERY grateful that you guys were super helpful and patient with me!

For those looking for an answer here's my story:

Bought a LG BH16NS55 that came with 1.03 firmware. Had just a notebook. Bought a SATA/USB3 adapter, too. But no cigar updating the firmware through the USB connection. Got an old PC that had no usable second SATA (the one and only had to be used for the BluRay drive). Got myself a pen drive, downloaded the PE Builder exe, created a PE bootable usb drive and added the tool (patched flashing tool) and the necessary firmware files during the setup process so they were IN the Windows PE. Bootet the PE -> started the flashing tool -> update to MK firmware 1.03 -> no reboot -> directly downgraded to the DE image 1.02 and shutdown the PC.

After that I connected the BluRay drive to my Windows 10 notebook where I got MakeMKV installed and it detected my drive (1.02!) and started ripping my disc w/o any problem. As I am not looking for PLAYING movies through that drive I am not testing this anytime soon. But for ripping it's perfect.

One word on MacOS: Before connecting the drive to Windows 10 I tried it on my 2015 Retina Macbook. MakeMKV was somehow seeing the drive (worked sometimes and sometimes not) and I could NOT start the backup process. I got some "Error 'OS error - (ipc/send) invalid destination port' occurred while reading '/AACS/Unit_Key_RO.inf' at offset '0'" messages. If I can find that problem I will report.

Again: Thank you guys soooo much! I appreciate your help! Best regards from Germany!

Gday i just bought the LG bh16ns55 but it came with firmware version 1.04! dosflash says it unrecognized flash chip is there an update or is it already compatible or not??? haven't tried it yet was going to flash it first off the bat...

Gday i just bought the LG bh16ns55 but it came with firmware version 1.04! dosflash says it unrecognized flash chip is there an update or is it already compatible or not??? haven't tried it yet was going to flash it first off the bat...

Please don't use dosflash. Grab the modified flasher and firmware from this thread.

https://forum.redfox.bz/threads/new...h-using-official-modified-asus-flasher.76571/

Grab the MK firmware pack from here. https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=19113

STEPS:

1. Use the modified flasher to flash firmware ASUS BW16D1HT 3.10 MK
2. Once the flash has completed, you can then flash whatever firmware you want to use.

Easy Peasy!!

Cheers!

Back