• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Advice requested on how to proceed with MCU Phase 1 box

PaceMaker

In light of: https://forum.redfox.bz/threads/please-read-this-before-you-post.71489/

I guess I need reassurance or correction about my suspicions and what I should do next. I've made no headway on making iso images from two discs so far from the Marvel phase 1 box set that is advertised as region free Blu-ray (Amazon). I bought the box and had it delivered a day ago. I had similar behavior happen to a (I think) UK box set of Battlestar Galactica. In the BSG case, I got a second box set that was US only and all discs worked out fine, so I have some unfortunate tingly feelings about region 1/region 2 shenanigans.

I assume from the thread this isn't true, but it's difficult to shrug off the suspicion that region locking is a part of the problem. The phase 1 box set uses EU age warnings and the disc titles have "EU" appended. This is known to be a region-free set, right?

The drive appears to be fine; I got three different boxes ripped about a month ago just fine.

So after two disc failures what should my priority be next:
- Return for another copy of the same box? (if there's a region problem that won't help)
- Is there a US equivalent of the Phase 1 box that's, umm, less than $100?
- Should I try and find everything piecemeal?

I have no idea what your problem is or what you are talking about.
But posting AnyDVD logfiles shed some light into any issue.

I'll do that when I can get back home; sorry for mangling the post.

There's a very easy way to find out if it's region locked or not if you have for example PowerDVD. Since you're in the US it should be set to A, if the discs are from the UK then it should be coded to region B, if it is region locked. This would trigger the 'wrong region' message.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

There's a very easy way to find out if it's region locked or not if you have for example PowerDVD. Since you're in the US it should be set to A, if the discs are from the UK then it should be coded to region B, if it is region locked. This would trigger the 'wrong region' message.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Or - much better - do this check within AnyDVD. Or if it is a EU/UK disc, just set AnyDVD to "B".

Yup, but afaik the automatic method isn't always capable of finding the region, unless that has changed recently.

Yup, but afaik the automatic method isn't always capable of finding the region, unless that has changed recently.
Not what I said. Do the check as you suggested, but *DON'T* do the region change in PowerDVD. Do it within AnyDVD instead. (Force AnyDVD to a specific region).

Or don't bother and set it to "B" for any UK/EU disc.

Logfile created. I don't know whether it has the information you need, though. I had a rip attempt fail on me because the disc spun down and the ripping rate dropped to near 0MB/s. I tried to abort the process, but the program wasn't responding, so I killed it through task manager.

I currently have AnyDVDHD set to region 1 (US) and the hardware driver set to region 1. I don't have any playback suites like PowerDVD, just VLC and Kodi. I tried playing the disc back on both and VLC froze at the Paramount logo while Kodi stopped playback at the Marvel logo a few seconds in. Usually I just try to rip to image, mount the ISO, and then encode through Handbrake.

Attachments

• AnyDVD_8.3.5.0_Info_F_IRON_MAN_D1_EU_CD6E242A_AF05383C.ziplog
    303.7 KB · Views: 2
Logfile created. I don't know whether it has the information you need, though. I had a rip attempt fail on me because the disc spun down and the ripping rate dropped to near 0MB/s. I tried to abort the process, but the program wasn't responding, so I killed it through task manager.

I currently have AnyDVDHD set to region 1 (US) and the hardware driver set to region 1. I don't have any playback suites like PowerDVD, just VLC and Kodi. I tried playing the disc back on both and VLC froze at the Paramount logo while Kodi stopped playback at the Marvel logo a few seconds in. Usually I just try to rip to image, mount the ISO, and then encode through Handbrake.
Your disc and / or drive is dirty and / or defective.

Most likely the disc then. If I return the box, is there any advice for sourcing them again in a way that minimizes the chances of getting another bad disc?

Most likely the disc then.
Not sure. The sense error says "LOGICAL UNIT COMMUNICATION FAILURE". Any chance to try a different drive? Other discs work fine?

They do. A BSG box set, Murdoch seasons 1-4, and several other movies, all Blu-ray. It could be dirty which I'll check, but I've not had a great deal of trouble with the drive to date. I have one more slot-load drive in storage I could plug into the PC, but I'd prefer to reserve that for a very-last option.

I thought I would post a month-later update. The root cause appears to be the drive itself. It seems to need to somehow 'warm up'. I'll make a few attempts to rip, fail, wait an hour, and then insert the disc and try again. After that the recorder will work as beautifully as you could ask across most any disc. I've replicated the behavior about six or seven times since then and it's always the same: make some attempts, let it sit, then it works fine. It's almost as if the drive hits the snooze button and mumbles "jus' five more minutes mum plz,k".

Back