• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Dummy needs help-Please

Suzque

:confused: I'm sure this has been asked prior to this post but couldn't locate exactly what my issue is... I downloaded AnyDVD and purchased the license key today. I'm trying to backup a movie that I own with Roxio Creator 9; it works perfect with my laptop but does not work in my Sony or Panasonic home DVD player. From what I've read, it sounds like Roxio is not converting the AVI files to compatible DVD files. Is this correct or are there additional problems? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated! :)

From what I've read, it sounds like Roxio is not converting the AVI files to compatible DVD files.

Hello,

Why do you have .avi files? An original commercial dvd doesn't have .avi files.

Take your backup disc, and navigate to "my computer"--and "explore" the disc. Do you see a video_ts folder? Inside that folder do you see ".vob" files?

Edit: I recommend clicking this link, and following the instructions step by step: http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=476
(If you're new to making backups, I think you'll find that method fairly simple to understand).

Last edited:
Webslinger - thanks...
Yes, I have .vob files as well as .bup & .ifo files.

Webslinger - thanks...
Yes, I have .vob files as well as .bup & .ifo files.

O.k., then that's correct for dvd-videos. We're not dealing with .avi files at all when we make backups of commercial dvd movies.

Please answer these questions: click http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=321
and answer questions 6, 7, 8, and 9. For question 9 please describe exactly what happens when you attempt to play your backup.

Also please, read below, because I strongly suspect that information applies to your situation.

from Frequently Asked Questions (READ BEFORE YOU POST)

12. My backups play on my computer or standalone dvd player, but not in something else. Why?

First, if the backup is playing in a standalone dvd player or on your computer, that means Anydvd and whatever backup program you used worked.

The most common reason why you're having this problem (if the backup doesn't work in a standalone dvd player) is due to a compatibility issue between the blank media you're using and whatever you're using to play the backup in (standalone dvd player, for example). Basically your dvd player, dvd-rom drive, etc. doesn't like the blank media you're using (or if you're using +R media, you didn't change the booktype to "dvd-rom"). You can try choosing other blank media (+r instead of -r, for example, and change the booktype to "dvd-rom")--or buy a different standalone dvd player (or a different dvd-rom drive, burner, etc.).

If you're using dvd-r media and your standalone dvd player gives you a message similar to ""Play Prohibited, please check disc", use dvd+r media instead and change the booktype to "dvd-rom" (see "b)" below).

a) Are you using junk blank media? If you're not using Taiyo Yuden 8x premium, Verbatim, Maxell Plus, or Maxell Broadcast Quality, then chances are the answer to this question is "yes".
b) Click this and read FULLY (especially take a look at point 4 for more information on bitsetting/booktyping, but all points are very important)

The same factors also apply to why the backup doesn't play in your computer (but there can be other factors including buggy or poorly installed dvd player software, bad drivers, etc.).

It's also possible the playback device/player you're using is slowly dying.

Last edited:
Answers:
6) First tried Maxell DVD-R/120 min. Video/4.7 GB/1-16x speed/single-sided recordable/L1-1 of 6 0604019795910 and they only worked in my laptop so purchased Sony DVD+R/120 min. 4.7 GB/AccuCore/RW/Ver. 1.3/1x-16x/ and these too only work in the laptop and not the home DVD players (Sony & Panasonic)

7) I believe it was burning at 8x

8) Summary for drive E: (AnyDVD 6.1.7.3)
HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GSA-T11N A103 00010507V3732H2338
Drive (Hardware) Region: 0 (not set!)

Media is a DVD.
Booktype: dvd-rom (version 1), Layers: 1
Total size: 2286096 sectors (4465 MBytes)

I have a Memorex DVD+R/8x/4.7 GB/120 min/RW/T1-10CH1505068570B23 that a friend has burned for me and it works fine in the Sony & Panasonic players.

I don't understand...

Answers:
6) First tried Maxell DVD-R/120 min.

Avoid. Use Taiyo Yuden Premium (http://www.supermediastore.com/ has them if you're in the U.S.) or Verbatim (newegg.com has them if you're in the U.S.). Only Maxell Plus (expensive . . . some of it is Taiyo Yuden anyway) and Maxell Broadcast Quality (super-expensive) are worth using (if you like Maxell).

I have a Memorex DVD+R

Also should be avoided

That said, I'm not 100% positive you're not doing something wrong in Roxio. As I do not use Roxio (nor like it), I am unable to assist you with that program. Others might be able to.

Here is a simple way to see if the problem is the method you're using in Roxio. Try a different product and method. Try Clonedvd: click http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=476 and try it. If that method works, then chances are you're doing something wrong in Roxio.

Drive (Hardware) Region: 0 (not set!)

Others may point out that you should set your region code, but unless you're having issues decrypting with Anydvd (and I don't see that you are), then I would just leave it alone.

The issue you're having isn't related to Anydvd at this point. It's either something you're doing wrong in Roxio--or your choice of blank media.

Last edited:
OK, thanks for trying. When I purchased the Sony DVD's today from Best Buy I was told by the salesman (since I was completely clueless on which manufacturer to purchase) that Sony was the best. I did see Verbatim on the shelf but he didn't mention that one :-( Again - thanks!

OK, thanks for trying. When I purchased the Sony DVD's today from Best Buy I was told by the salesman (since I was completely clueless on which manufacturer to purchase) that Sony was the best. I did see Verbatim on the shelf but he didn't mention that one :-( Again - thanks!

Business practices aside, Sony (blank media) isn't terrible. Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden Premium, however, are better. Again, it might just be that you're doing something wrong in Roxio, but I don't use that software suite.

If you're unwilling to try the free 21 day trial of Clonedvd (which I've linked to twice now), then Dvd Shrink is a freeware alternative: click http://www.doom9.org/index.html?/mpg/dvdshrink31-main.htm and http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/dvd9_to_dvdr_with_dvd_shrink.cfm

Last edited:
Sony media has been great to me. I recommend it along with Taiyo Yuden and Verbatim.

I'm currently using DVD Shrink 3.2. But this only "condenses" the files, correct? I'd still have to use software to burn the dvd, right? Am I confusing something here?

I'm currently using DVD Shrink 3.2. But this only "condenses" the files, correct? I'd still have to use software to burn the dvd, right? Am I confusing something here?
Do yourself a favor and try CloneDVD2.

DetroitBaseball... thanks for your input on the Sony material. Any Sony product I've purchased in the past has always been "top-notch"! How 'bout them Cardinals??? Well, except for Ankiel's name all over the papers? :)

I'm currently using DVD Shrink 3.2. But this only "condenses" the files, correct?

That is correct.

I'd still have to use software to burn the dvd, right?

That's right. In theory, you should be able to burn your Shrink compressed files using Roxio, but if you're not using the software properly, then . . . As I've stated previously, I think you should give the 21 day free trial of Clonedvd a shot. You really have nothing to lose by trying it.

Last edited:
James- What will CloneDVD2 do for me? Using AnyDVD and CloneDVD2 together is easier? Sorry, newbie at all of this!

James- What will CloneDVD2 do for me? Using AnyDVD and CloneDVD2 together is easier? Sorry, newbie at all of this!

Clonedvd will compress and burn for you in nice easy steps. Again, click http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=476 (and follow the steps). There's a couple of nice picture guides (links) towards the bottom of that post too. And if you have questions practically everyone here can help you with Clonedvd2.

I (and I suspect many others here) are not terribly familiar with the Roxio software suite (I know some are, but I don't see them on the forum at the moment). But most of us do know Clonedvd2 well.

Last edited:
You are correct. Well actually I think it can copy but it has poor features for copying, so I don't recommend using it to copy.

Well actually I think it can copy but it has poor features for copying, so I don't recommend using it to copy.

No. Shrink doesn't burn. Shrink requires a third party burn engine (and most Shrink users allow it to hook into older versions of Nero).

Last edited:
Back