• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

NVenc for Nvidia Turing

ministry49

Please could you update NVenc to the latest version 9.0 ?

This new version (video codec SDK 9) add HEVC B-frames support for Nvidia Turing cards and globally greatly improve quality.
I made some test with updated Nvenc, there's a great quality improvement with HEVC.

Last edited:
Please could you update NVenc to the latest version 9.0 ?

This new version (video codec SDK 9) add HEVC B-frames support for Nvidia Turing cards and globally greatly improve quality.
I made some test with updated Nvenc, there's a great quality improvement with HEVC.

Yes, I wholeheartedly agree.
Can you please download:
https://www.elby.ch/download/beta/drone.nvidia.x64.exe
And then copy it into your CloneBD installation directory (the existing file will need to be overwritten).

Note: you'll need to have CloneBD 1.2.4.8 64bit installed prior to copying.

This drone should automatically enable B-frames (encoding order: IBBP) if available.
If that works for you, we'll add it to the upcoming release.

Yes, I wholeheartedly agree.
Can you please download:
https://www.elby.ch/download/beta/drone.nvidia.x64.exe
And then copy it into your CloneBD installation directory (the existing file will need to be overwritten).

Note: you'll need to have CloneBD 1.2.4.8 64bit installed prior to copying.

This drone should automatically enable B-frames (encoding order: IBBP) if available.
If that works for you, we'll add it to the upcoming release.
Testing it now...

I just made a test with version 1.2.4.8 and drone.nvidia.x64.exe, using my GTX 1660 Ti.

It works ! (y)
I analyzed encoded HEVC HDR files with ffprobe. B-frames are presents like this - IBBPBBPBBPBBPBBPBBPBBP etc...

Image quality seems very good. No playback issue on my Panasonic UB420.

:thankyou:

Reto, which quality preset did you set in Clone BD Nvenc ? Quality, slow, CBR HQ ? It is possible to use 2 pass hardware conversion (CBR HQ in NVenc) ?
In Nvenc, slow seems to be the best quality preset.

Does CloneBD "encoder quality" setting have effects with Nvenc ?

I understand that this will improve quality even on a Pascal GPU since the video can be stored using less data compared to not storing B-frames. But how does it affect processing time? Faster, equal or no idea at all?

Pascal does not support B-frames on HEVC. That's why I went on Turing...

Got it.
I have a NVIDIA 1050 for the sole purpose to compress video, e.g. copies to 50Gb from UHDs with CBD. 300 bucks for a NVIDIA Turing for just that purpose is too steep. Too less bang for the buck as I don't do games at all.

I made 3 screen capture of Braveheart.

The first is the original UHD (~68 Gb for the main movie)

The second is the encoded version without B-frames encoding using previous Nvenc version. (17.5 Mb /s)

The last is encoded with CloneBD with Nvenc B-frames encoding. (17.5 Mb /s)

With B-frame thanks to latest Nvenc. it retains more informations. Without, there is more loss of information. Nvidia did a great job with Turing !

Original.jpg No B frames.jpg B frames.jpg

Reto, which quality preset did you set in Clone BD Nvenc ? Quality, slow, CBR HQ ? It is possible to use 2 pass hardware conversion (CBR HQ in NVenc) ?
In Nvenc, slow seems to be the best quality preset.

Does CloneBD "encoder quality" setting have effects with Nvenc ?

The quality setting is used, yes - for nVidia the medium setting maps to "high quality", because nVidia has only two presets (which is totally fine IMO).
CloneBD uses VBR. CBR requires adding junk-data in scenes with low detail.

2 pass is not planned, no.

@Reto,

just out of curiosity: Is Turing support for B-frames now included in 1.2.4.9 as a standard? You didn't mention it in the change log.

Thank you!

just out of curiosity: Is Turing support for B-frames now included in 1.2.4.9 as a standard? You didn't mention it in the change log.
It's included - not mentioning it in the changelog was an oversight.

Back