• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

NVIDIA GTX 1650 (Turing) apparently does not use Turing NVENC

DrinkLyeAndDie

Retired Moderator
That's highly disappointing. I was considering a 2070 anyway for the new build but was eyeing one of those due to the price. Was curious how it'd perform on various things I do. nVENC is one of the things I use most. I'll stick with the 1060 for now but at least I got my build done. i9 9900k, 2x16 ddr4 3200, m.2 970 pro 512gb. I rather like it but I really would like a graphics card to match.

That's highly disappointing. I was considering a 2070 anyway for the new build but was eyeing one of those due to the price. Was curious how it'd perform on various things I do. nVENC is one of the things I use most. I'll stick with the 1060 for now but at least I got my build done. i9 9900k, 2x16 ddr4 3200, m.2 970 pro 512gb. I rather like it but I really would like a graphics card to match.

I didn't expect much from the 1650. It it's aimed at the bargain basement.

Nice specs on the new system. :) Be a shame to skimp on the videocard, however. Hold off and keep the 1060 or see if the 1660 is equally as hobbled. I haven't heard that it is.

I went with the ASUS Strix 2060 because I wanted a better quality & cooled card. I would have preferred the 2070 but the price difference was more than I cared to spend. I grabbed a Samsung 970 Pro m.2 NVMe 512 GB about a month ago. I just haven't gotten around to installing it. I'll do a clean install of 1903 on it when I get around to it. I'd really like to investigate switching from an AIO water cooling solution to an air cooling setup. I just hate dealing with big clunky HSFs that get in the way. Possibly the new Noctua NH-U12A. Already spent time making an older (2010) laptop useable. Tore it apart and swapped out the 5400 RPM HDD with a Samsung 960 EVO and dumped the junk 4 GB DDR3 RAM for 8 GB of Crucial DDR3 RAM. Dual booting Windows 10 and Linux. It's like night and day after the updgrades. Right now I'm not overly motivated to take my desktop offline.

Last edited:
If you're looking for a good air cooler for the CPU (i use that same 9900k cpu myself in my now 3 month old rig). I'm using the "Scythe mugen 5 PCGH edition". Ran a 15m test with prime 95, dont think it reached 80°C and at idle it's a comfy 35-39.

Is it bulky yes, it's about double the size of a CM Hyper 212 EVO, but it cools a lot better AND is VERY EASY to install, and isn't that expensive!

1. Hold the backplate
2. Insert 4 screws from the top (with screwholes in them)
3. Place 2 fan bracket on those screws and secure them in those 4 screws
4. Place Heatsink on CPU
5. Screw fan in place.
6. Attach fans & done.

It's like a 10 minute job at worst. My main reason for going back air cooling is well, i just couldn't get used to the idea of a liquid in a PC, and i'd hate myself if it sprung a leak and fried all my data. I'm also not overclocking (except for enabling XMP) so i have no need for liquid cooling.

I have a case designed for AIO so I put an h100i v2 in it. Works very well. I'll get a video card upgrade at some point but for now this is a big step up over my 3770k.

These low end "turing" cards do not impress me though.

I have a case designed for AIO so I put an h100i v2 in it.
Wise choice.
I prefer even a simple water cooler like the H60 over any air cooler. Simply because of the air cooler's weight hanging on the mainboard. You carry the PC and drop it accidentally and the cooler will tear your motherboard apart.

Yea, it seems to cool well, too. And because my case was built for it, it's up and out of the way which I love. I did some screwing around testing ffmpeg to max all cores and it was still under 60c at stock. I have room to play. :D

I have a case designed for AIO so I put an h100i v2 in it. Works very well. I'll get a video card upgrade at some point but for now this is a big step up over my 3770k.

I'm currently using an H100i v2, myself. I dumped the original fans. I found them painful and annoying to listen to. Swapped them for two Noctua NF-P12 redux-1700 PWM fans. Much nicer.

These low end "turing" cards do not impress me though.

No argument there but they do have their place.

If you're looking for a good air cooler for the CPU (i use that same 9900k cpu myself in my now 3 month old rig). I'm using the "Scythe mugen 5 PCGH edition". Ran a 15m test with prime 95, dont think it reached 80°C and at idle it's a comfy 35-39.

Is it bulky yes, it's about double the size of a CM Hyper 212 EVO, but it cools a lot better AND is VERY EASY to install, and isn't that expensive!

[...]

Thanks for the advice/info.

It's like a 10 minute job at worst. My main reason for going back air cooling is well, i just couldn't get used to the idea of a liquid in a PC, and i'd hate myself if it sprung a leak and fried all my data

I understand where you are coming from and my own reasons to not love the idea of liquid cooling are the same. That said, I can't deny that it works well and makes the system far easier to work on when I need to.

That's on the list of things to do....replacing the fans with some kind of ML replacements. Not too worried about it at the moment. This build has been 2 years in the making. Being laid off didn't help that situation. I'm just glad to have it finally built.

They do have their place, yes, but, I don't see a clear advantage other than price. I want something that's about as fast as a 1080 with turing. I do a ton of encoding so having turing would be nice.

I'm not denying it works either. Performance wise liquid beats air in heat transfer. It also takes longer to cool down. But when anyone starts overclocking (not saying you are), at some point even the best air cooler can't compete with liquid.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 7 met Tapatalk

Oh I will definitely be OC'ing it at some point given the headroom in temps I have on LC. I came from a vapor cooler which is sort of "best of both worlds" I guess. And it worked well for my 3770k. But, for this new beast I knew heat was going to be an issue so I went all in on AIO LC. ;) :D

I concur that liquid cooling would be too risky for me. All the PC's I have built I only did with fans and most of the times I followed suggestions of the German computer magazine CT and that worked very well to have very, very silent machines. Which was always my highest priority. Dump all original fans, install silent ones, install at best locations for air circulation and set up intelligent cooling curves. Use fans with the biggest diameter that fit your case since they can provide equivalent airflow at lower speeds compared to smaller ones.

EDIT: As far as fans are concerned: Just follow the old American rule: Bigger is better :dance:

EDIT 2: My mechanical engineering diploma many years ago had the main topic of acoustic optimization of axial fans. So please don't call me clueless or don't assume I'm just making assumptions.

Last edited:
That's on the list of things to do....replacing the fans with some kind of ML replacements. Not too worried about it at the moment. This build has been 2 years in the making. Being laid off didn't help that situation. I'm just glad to have it finally built.

Of course. :) You should get a great deal of enjoyment out of that upgrade!

I'm not denying it works either. Performance wise liquid beats air in heat transfer. It also takes longer to cool down. But when anyone starts overclocking (not saying you are), at some point even the best air cooler can't compete with liquid.

I have OC'ed at times but due to the location of my desktop OCing isn't the best idea and, frankly, I don't see the benefits in the long run. Ambient temps tend to run higher where the system is located so I'm already starting off at a disadvantage. That said, I've been satisfied with the temps when I've done various stress testing at stock speeds.

I'm repeating myself and DrinkLyeAndDie's comments are not contradicting. Pick 140mm fans for your case if possible and also a CPU cooler with a 140mm fan. But I guess the choice for the CPU fan / CPU cooler has already been made unfortunately.

EDIT: The acoustical design of the fan blades is very important and this distinguishes good engineered fans from just cheap ones. Besides that the rest is just physics. A 140mm fan has 50% more airflow area than a 120mm fan. Means if a 120mm fan has to run at 2000rpm to cool at a certain load, a 140mm fan would only have to run at 1300rpm. You figure....

Last edited:
In my case (ha ha) it most definitely has and I chose LC for a reason. It has 2 120mm fans attached and the case itself has 3 140mm fans. It'll keep it cool.

My mechanical engineering diploma many years ago had the main topic of acoustic optimization of axial fans. So please don't call me clueless or don't assume I'm just making assumptions.

No one is questioning your knowledge, debating, or discounting it.

I agree with what you've said.

Just my 2 cents. That's everything. Nobody has to excuse or whatsoever. Only advice / hints that come from experience for you guys.

I've been building my machines for 32 years now. Holy hell. Lol. I've been wanting to switch to LC for a while now. The vapor cooling was a step in that direction. I like it.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I had just to think how long I build my PCs. 35 years. Jeeeeeez... I can't believe it. But I admit that silence was not the priority in the early years. We just wanted to have max performance these days and compromised anything for that. That shifted 20 years ago. At least for me.
No - I don't oppose LC at all or vapor cooling. I only do just air cooling if I can reach the same computing power w/o raising the noise level and not having the risk of leaks if LC would fail. Right now I'm still good with optimized air cooling - but you need optimized air cooling in comparison to LC !- w/o taking the risk of leaks for LC. That's all. No dogmatic opinion on my side. But I have not yet seen the necessity to switch and have not yet seen any advantages therefore.

Back