• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Star Wars ep 1,4,5+6 - Ripping Problems

slithu

Hi there,

I've been looking through the search for info on the problem I'm having, and although there have been people with the same issue, I haven't found a solution (or understood it if there was one)!

The angles options in the 4 films.
There are different angles which cover the different languages for the scrolling intro text at the beginning.
Selecting 1 angle only, the preview plays fine and will only show the correct text for that angle, but once it starts to rip the DVD, you can see the other angles in the preview coming through so therefore once the film has finished ripping, the intro text appears multiple times in different languages and the audio is out of sync for the rest of the movie.

I've been using AnyDVD, CloneDVD and AutoGK. The same problem is occuring whether I'm ripping using Clone DVD or AutoGK.

Is there a simple option that I am missing that will solve this?

**edit - just realised this should be in the CloneDVD section. Sorry!**

The discs I'm using by the way are Ep1 - Region 2 (original release), Ep 4,5+6 - Region 1 (2006 release).

Strangely enough, Ep 2 and 3 ripped and converted with no problems at all.

Any help would be appreciated.

**edit - Oops, I should have posted this in the CloneDVD section. Sorry!**

Last edited:
Sorry, should have said.

Using:

CloneDVD 2.9.1.2
AnyDVD 6.1.7.0

AutoGK 2.40

1. For EP 4,5, and 6, just choose to preserve the main menu in Clonedvd, and select the first angle (which should have the English text).

2. Or backup all three angles without the main menu.

By the way, update to Anydvd 6.1.7.3: click http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=7541 (this won't affect your issue though)

Anything else is an AutoGK issue.

Last edited:
The angles options in the 4 films.
There are different angles which cover the different languages for the scrolling intro text at the beginning.
Selecting 1 angle only, the preview plays fine and will only show the correct text for that angle, but once it starts to rip the DVD, you can see the other angles in the preview coming through so therefore once the film has finished ripping, the intro text appears multiple times in different languages and the audio is out of sync for the rest of the movie.
Sorry, I don't fully understand.
How do you watch the files created by CloneDVD? Does this error show, if you play the files (the VIDEO_TS.IFO file, not the .VOB files!) with DVD player software like ZoomPlayer, mplayer classic, PowerDVD (open folder in disc mode)?
What are you doing with AutoGK?

Thanks Webslinger,

I've downloaded the latest beta, just haven't installed it yet!

I don't need the main menu as I'm converting it to XviD (it's easier to have all 6 films on one DVD rather than having to keep using the original DVDs all the time.).

So basically, if I rip the DVD once using CloneDVD keeping the menus and only using angle 1, will that remove the other angles, then if I re-rip it and convert it to XviD using AutoGK, I should be ok?

Thanks Webslinger,

I don't need the main menu as I'm converting it to XviD (it's easier to have all 6 films on one DVD rather than having to keep using the original DVDs all the time.).

So basically, if I rip the DVD once using CloneDVD keeping the menus and only using angle 1, will that remove the other angles, then if I re-rip it and convert it to XviD using AutoGK, I should be ok?
Ah. CloneDVD will keep the multi angle streams (it will only blank them out) to keep the DVD structure as close to the original as possible. It looks like AutoGK doesn't like that. You should try CloneDVD mobile in VOB pass-through mode, it will remove unwanted angles completely from the output.

Thanks Webslinger,

I can't speak for anything involving AutoGK as I don't use the program, but it seems to me the "syncing" issue you mention is related to an issue with AutoGK.

If I rip angle 1 only, I get all those various subtitle languages as well. If I preserve the main menu--and choose to select "play" via the main menu (and having ripped only angle 1), everything plays fine. You can also select all 3 angles to backup if you want, but the main thing is to select "play" through the main menu.

Possibly James has another work around, but I can only tell you what works for me (or what I can reproduce). I also can't speak for Episode 1, since I hated the film and don't own the disc. But quite possibly preserving the main menu and selecting "play" through it works as well.

Last edited:
@ James,

What I am trying to achieve is to rip all the Star Wars DVDs into XviD files so I can put them all onto one DVD.

In CloneDVD you can watch the preview in the Title Configuration screen. This will show you the different angles.

Once I've selected Angle 1 (which is the english one) and changed the audio and subtitle settings, I choose the Output Method as DVD files. When you hit Go, you can see the preview of the film playing while it rips. While watching this, you can see that it is putting in the other Angles.

I watch the files back either using Media Player Classic or WinDVD8.

If they play ok, then I'll use AutoGK to convert them into XviD files.

I can't speak for anything involving AutoGK as I don't use the program, but it seems to me the "syncing" issue you mention is related to an issue with AutoGK.

If I rip angle 1 only, I get all those various subtitle languages as well. If I preserve the main menu--and choose to select "play" via the main menu (and having ripped only angle 1), everything plays fine. You can also select all 3 angles if you want, but the main thing is to select "play" through the main menu.

Possibly James has another work around, but I can only tell you what works for me (or what I can reproduce). I also can't speak for Episode 1, since I hated the film and don't own the disc.

Ok. I'll try ripping it using the menu and angle 1 only, then I'll see what AutoGK does with it.

The sync is out after the initial rip using CloneDVD. But this is before I've tried to rip keeping the menu intact. I'm gonna try that now.

And you're right, episode 1 is god awful!

Thanks

Last edited:
I'd try what James suggested with Clonedvd mobile (I missed reading his response earlier).

Last edited:
If I rip angle 1 only, I get all those various subtitle languages as well. If I preserve the main menu--and choose to select "play" via the main menu (and having ripped only angle 1), everything plays fine. You can also select all 3 angles to backup if you want, but the main thing is to select "play" through the main menu.

I didn't write that clearly

1. Angle 1 + main menu works (you must select "play" through the main menu)

2. All three angles backed up without the main menu works

And anything else is an AutoGK issue.

Last edited:
Ah. CloneDVD will keep the multi angle streams (it will only blank them out) to keep the DVD structure as close to the original as possible. It looks like AutoGK doesn't like that. You should try CloneDVD mobile in VOB pass-through mode, it will remove unwanted angles completely from the output.

Ah, bugger. I'll download the trial and give it a go later.

Any chance you could get an option into CloneDVD that would do the VOB pass-through? :D

**edit

Thanks Webslinger, I'll figure something out to get it done. Looks like CloneDVD Mobile is going to be the best bet, although it is only these films I've had problems with, so hopefully I'll get it all sorted out before the tiral period runs out!**

Last edited:
Just finished encoding Episode 1 and...

It's worked fine!

So, for others who may want to try this :

Rip the DVD using CloneDVD leaving the menus intact and Angle 1.
Once ripped, use CloneDVD Mobile and use the VOB pass-through mode.

This should remove the Angle problem.

Success!

Thanks to James and Webslinger.

Back