• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Extracting subtitles from BD or image?

clueless

So I've bought anydvd to rip some blue rays. But I struggle with file large size of the iso output file.

So I tried Handbrake to shrink and transform into mkv. But viewing the mkv file subtitles are lost.
Then I found out about CloneBD. I've just spend money on various dvd software without being able to extract subtitles so this time I will check before I buy.

1: If I use anydvd to make an image file, stripped for all protection can I then use clonebd to extract subtitles?

2: Or if not possible, can I have clonebd convert the image file into mkv with subtitles?

3: It seems clonedb can also shrink the file size for output file, correct?

4: If I can't jam the image file into clonedb, can I then mount the image file from anydvd onto a virtual bd player and then either extract only the subtitles or if not possible convert the mounted iso to smaller size mkv containing subtitles without having subtitles burned into the movie?

1: If I use anydvd to make an image file, stripped for all protection can I then use clonebd to extract subtitles?
You do not have to first make an image file. Just have AnyDVD running in the background. AnyDVD is a background decrypter. When it is active, the disc is unprotected, decrypted, etc...
You can access the disc with CloneBD then.
No, you can't extract the subtitles. But

2: Or if not possible, can I have clonebd convert the image file into mkv with subtitles?
Yeah, sure.

3: It seems clonedb can also shrink the file size for output file, correct?
Absolutely.
4: If I can't jam the image file into clonedb, can I then mount the image file from anydvd onto a virtual bd player and then either extract only the subtitles or if not possible convert the mounted iso to smaller size mkv containing subtitles without having subtitles burned into the movie?
All far too complicated.

Just shove the disc into your drive, run CloneBD, select MKV and go. That's really all.
Also: you can test CloneBD for as long as you like, without paying anything. The only limitation is, that CloneBD will add a beaver image to the resulting video if you shrink.

So anydvd hd is installed and running and that one I paid for. Now I can just install a trial version of clonedb and pop any blu ray into BD player and start clonedb to make a mkv file with the subtitles included.

Do you know how much I can shrink the file size? Some blu rays are 20 ish GB and some more then 30 GB and probably even bigger.
10-15 GB file size seems to be ok, so I don't run out of disk space too fast.

Here from their website:

CloneBD makes perfect 1:1 clones, but also compresses BD-50 to a single BD-25, BD-9 or BD-5.

So I guess there will be a slider that let me choose output size. I am not at my computer right now so I can't test program.

This seems like a one step process, and that I like a lot.
Sadly if I should rip also DVD it seems I will have to purchase also cloneDVD as well making it twice as expensive. But hey, if this works and it gives me a one-step process that also includes subtitles I don't mind paying license fee.

Last edited:
Do you know how much I can shrink the file size? Some blu rays are 20 ish GB and some more then 30 GB and probably even bigger.
10-15 GB file size seems to be ok, so I don't run out of disk space too fast.

That depends a lot on what else is on the disc and what you intend to do with the data.
HD audio tracks can consume many GBs.

If space is of the most concern to you - CloneBD can convert HD audio to AC3 with minimal quality loss, then you can compress video as much as you like (down to 2 GB, if you like, but that will not look so good).
If you select HEVC as video codec (and your playback device can handle HEVC), you'll end up with pretty good quality despite shrinking the video.
You'll have to test for yourself and see what it looks like.

Compressing to 10-15GB with HEVC will most likely result in a flawless copy. Even with AVC the quality loss should be hardly noticeable at 15GB.

Thx for your swift reply and meaningful insight Pete. I will test this out tonight.

Back