• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

A question on 4k players

shaunvis

I just got a 4k friendly burner. I made a backup of my 4k Starship Troopers disc. It ripped to an iso fine. It burned fine. I can play it on my PC with VLC fine.

But I put the disc in my LG UBK90, it tries reading it for a minute, then ejects the disc.

Is there something different with burning 4k vs. standard BD?

Are some players not capable of playing BD-XLs? If that's the case, is there a list of players that do?

I'd say most players are not capable of playing BD-XL. There are a few. My UB820 is not one of them unfortunately. But a few players do have the capability.

I just got a 4k friendly burner. I made a backup of my 4k Starship Troopers disc. It ripped to an iso fine. It burned fine. I can play it on my PC with VLC fine.

But I put the disc in my LG UBK90, it tries reading it for a minute, then ejects the disc.

Is there something different with burning 4k vs. standard BD?

Are some players not capable of playing BD-XLs? If that's the case, is there a list of players that do?

The only player I know that plays BD-R XL for sure is the Panasonic DMP-UB900.

There are some that play XL as a data disc, meaning they'll read them and play .mp4, .mkv, etc files off them but will not play them if they are backups of discs/.iso's.

The UB900 plays XL as a data disc or a backup disc.

T

Well that's disappointing news.

Why are people bothering with them then? Do they just play them on a pc? Or hoping for a future player that works?

Just wondering if it's worth the hassle yet.

Anyone who rips or burns UHD discs do it for the main reason to use MadVR on the PC, otherwise, why not just use the original in the stand-alone player.
And of course if one has uncontrolled kids around that don't respect things...

Note too, that you don't even have to rip or burn the disc to use MadVR, RedFox allows decryption on the fly, I do this all the time.

Well that's disappointing news.

Why are people bothering with them then? Do they just play them on a pc? Or hoping for a future player that works?

Just wondering if it's worth the hassle yet.

I'm not sure a lot of people do burn to XL. Maybe as you say as a backup to use in the PC only?

I would bet a lot more people use CloneBD to compress a UHD to 50G and burn to BD-R DL. Then just play those in their player.

Almost every UHD player I've seen that won't play XL discs will play them if they are on DL discs.....

T

I'm not sure a lot of people do burn to XL. Maybe as you say as a backup to use in the PC only?

I would bet a lot more people use CloneBD to compress a UHD to 50G and burn to BD-R DL. Then just play those in their player.

Almost every UHD player I've seen that won't play XL discs will play them if they are on DL discs.....

T

Cool, thanks for the info. I always forget about CloneBD. I bought it and almost never use it. I'll give it a shot!

Cool, thanks for the info. I always forget about CloneBD. I bought it and almost never use it. I'll give it a shot!

CloneBD is a tool that I don't use a great deal either but I'm glad it's in my toolkit -- because what it can do is priceless.

Yeah, definitely give it a shot!

T

Back