• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

UHD Playback on my first two rip and burns

@eviltester I will have to read through this again. It tends to raise more questions than provide specific answers. IOW, what would be the best speed using this media and writer? I have been using the lowest speed available: 2x. This worked well for Blu-Ray HDs. Maybe not so well for these UHDs? Also, what about other folks burning UHDs? Have they just been getting "lucky"?

The technical specs on your drive I linked earlier and your media that you linked indicate that they are 4x rated so you should use 4x speed to burn, not 2x. The media is Verbatim and rated 4x and this is the manufacturers rated speed for optimum results.

Those recent links I posted above explain why you shouldn't use slower speeds.

Thx. I will try a burn at 4x. Thanks for all your time and effort!
EDIT: I think, in ImgBurn anyway, this media are listed as being *** possible *** 2x. Are you referencing something that indicated 4x for a combination of this media and drive?

Last edited:
Your link on amazon shows that media as being 4x.
Code:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00POY826G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Your link on amazon shows that media as being 4x.
Code:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00POY826G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I got my LG back from them - supposedly checked out/repaired. I have the same issue. I tested with a copy/backup of "The Matrix", 1999, UHD release 2018. It gets to about CH 21, Time Index 1 Hour and 11 minutes and freezes. [Original disc presents no issues] I can't get past this by recycling the disc tray out and in. This worked with a few other copies/backups. I am guessing as before, that this is maybe at a layer break? Assuming that the write/burn process is OK, maybe I have to consider that the media [linked in previous post] is just crappy/bad?

This will most likely not work with 100Gb disks. Most players can't handle them and if then only up to 66Gb data on them. If you want to play discs you need to compress the movies so they fit to a 50Gb disc. CloneBD can do this in the commercial variant, not in the free. I do this all the time and the quality is still excellent. Use 50Gb BD-Rs. Also for those Verbatim is a good choice.

This will most likely not work with 100Gb disks. Most players can't handle them and if then only up to 66Gb data on them. If you want to play discs you need to compress the movies so they fit to a 50Gb disc. CloneBD can do this in the commercial variant, not in the free. I do this all the time and the quality is still excellent. Use 50Gb BD-Rs. Also for those Verbatim is a good choice.
@rdgrimes posted something similar. @eviltester and @testiles seemed to suggest that this LG should be able to play them. I tried to explain fully all of this to LG before sending the player to them. But, Tech Support in some companies is not what it used to be? Q: How would you be absolutely certain that any specific home theatre 4K Ultra HD player would support them?

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/388243-BluRay-Player-with-BDXL-Support

Only the Panasonic UB900 will play a full 100Gb BD-XLdisc. No other player is known. Some can read up to 66Gb
Good catch. It's a head scratcher. There is a lot of confusion about this. If you read my post where I copied and pasted the specs for LG, it does not mention BD-XL specifically. However, when I talked with LG Tech Support, I specifically mentioned BD-XL and whether or not the LG UBK80 could handle them. They claimed that it could, but after many head banging hours and days, it appears that this is not true.
EDIT: Q1.In the above thread, there was question about UDF v2.50 and v2.60 in regard to burning these disks. I have been using ImgBurn with UDF v2.50 and have never used v2.60. Q2. Using CloneBD to "shrink" these disks down to size. These discs are made with x265 HEVC which already uses compression? Does this pose any issues?
EDIT2: I just got LG to admit [finally] that this UBK80 DOES NOT SUPPORT BD-XL. It was like pulling teeth... Now, I am waiting for a supervisor to see if I have any recourse - refund [probably not], credit of some sort, etc.

Last edited:
Q1: UDF 2.5 is spec for BD, UDF 2.6 is spec for UHD. Sometimes I forgot to switch in ImgBurn but never saw any issues. BTW- DVDFab burns everything with 2.5.
The quality on 50Gb discs is very high. I can't tell a difference between compressed copy and original. Be aware that you also should have a NVIDIA 10xx graphics card in your PC to to so. Otherwise compressing times without hardware support from the card are sloooooow. Too slow. A 1050 as I have would be sufficient. Using a laptop is a challenge since you can't simply add a graphics card.

Q1: UDF 2.5 is spec for BD, UDF 2.6 is spec for UHD. Sometimes I forgot to switch in ImgBurn but never saw any issues. BTW- DVDFab burns everything with 2.5.
The quality on 50Gb discs is very high. I can't tell a difference between compressed copy and original. Be aware that you also should have a NVIDIA 10xx graphics card in your PC to to so. Otherwise compressing times without hardware support from the card are sloooooow. Too slow. A 1050 as I have would be sufficient. Using a laptop is a challenge since you can't simply add a graphics card.
My desktop is a crappy HP Compaq refurb from maybe about 3-4 years ago - 2 Core processor, only 2 Gigs of memory, etc. It's definitely not ready for UHD or 4K playback. It can take 5-6 hours just to compress a BD50 hollywood film to BD25 - overnight. This is why I am reluctant to do this for UHD compression. My priority is first to get a quality tablet, maybe a Microsoft Surface. After this, I'll be saving for another desktop.

Hmmmm. This seems actually to be a piece of junk. The desktop I have is also fairly old but good enough to process the UHD discs with the 1050 Nvidia. Core2Quad CPU, 8 Gigs of RAM, ,1050 NVIDIA, 2 x 4TB HD, 32 Gb SSD Cache, 2x LG BH16NS55 both converted to ASUS UHD friendly drives, several external USB hard disks. But I burn discs and play them on a standalone player and don't use the PC for playing the video.
You will not be able to use the MS Surface for UHD processing. There is just no configuration that would fit. Lacking NVIDIA support, even if you get an external friendly UHD drive.

Last edited:
Hmmmm. This seems actually to be a piece of junk. The desktop I have is also fairly old but good enough to process the UHD discs with the 1050 Nvidia. Core2Quad CPU, 8 Gigs of RAM, ,1050 NVIDIA, 2 x 4TB HD, 32 Gb SSD Cache, 2x LG BH16NS55 both converted to ASUS UHD friendly drives, several external USB hard disks. But I burn discs and play them on a standalone player and don't use the PC for playing the video.
You will not be able to use the MS Surface for UHD processing. There is just no configuration that would fit. Lacking NVIDIA support, even if you get an external friendly UHD drive.
It's just a matter of priority with the $$. My laptop is going out - screen. This is why my first purchase [soon] will be tablet.

Your choice, Sir! You set your own priorities. I hope I could help to clarify the puts and takes but in the end you decide to go that way or the other.

Your choice, Sir! You set your own priorities. I hope I could help to clarify the puts and takes but in the end you decide to go that way or the other.
Q: With your current rig, how long does it take to compress a reasonably large UHD to BD50?

In the range of $600 to $700 including a Nvidia 1050. But you would need to add storage capacity to that with external USB drives.

If you consider this path I could give some recommendations if you want to build one. I f you want to purchase one and upgrade it you can ask me for my opinion as well.

There is only one single Panasonic player that supports BD-XL fully. You have to consider - if so - to compress to <50GB for UHD with the commercial version of CloneBD.

There is only one single Panasonic player that supports BD-XL fully. You have to consider - if so - to compress to <50GB for UHD with the commercial version of CloneBD.
What is the least expensive player that fully supports BD-XL? That's the question... No streaming necessary, etc.

Back