• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade / Cross-Flash Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher

There was no 3.03 DE. There was briefly a 3.03 MK before they released 3.10.

I upgraded to 3.10 MK and downgraded to 3.02 DE without issue.

I haven't seen a 3.03 DE firmware?

Mike replaced the 3.03 MK firmware with 3.10 MK in the newest download pack. Let me know if you want to have the 3.03 MK. There was never a 3.03 DE, only a 3.02 DE

Mike replaced the 3.03 MK firmware with 3.10 MK in the newest download pack. Let me know if you want to have the 3.03 MK. There was never a 3.03 DE, only a 3.02 DE

Thanks. I already had the 3.03 MK.

I can say that 3.03 MK doesn't work with DeUHD which only confirms what I expected before testing.

3.10 seems to make less "strange noises" while burning - but that's just subjective and has nothing to do with writing quality. I will report how the results play on my UHD player concerning layer break issues later these days.

Last edited:
Thanks. I already had the 3.03 MK.

I can say that 3.03 MK doesn't work with DeUHD which only confirms what I expected before testing.

Do you think Mike might do another release that might make the mk firmware work with other third party software like DeUHD or maybe that a silly question and I could face some abuse for asking?

Do you think Mike might do another release that might make the mk firmware work with other third party software like DeUHD or maybe that a silly question and I could face some abuse for asking?

No abuse, but, also nothing he can do. It's already UHD friendly under 3.10 MK. DeUHD needs to be smacked to support it. Believe me when I say if AnyDVD supports it, it's a friendly drive.

Not intending to do test it out, but what if s.o. else should take the risk to "update" her/his unit to Asus official-BW-16D1HT-3.10 firmware, is there still the downgrade option?
Is SPI-bus then generally locked, so that it wouldn't help to try to flash Mike's mkv firmware "ASUS-BW-16D1HT-3.10-WM01601-211901041014.bin" first with the newly modified Asus flasher from Mike and then any other suitable lower firmwares with Mike's-modified-Asus-flasher?

Sry for asking, that was not so clear, just saw clues about downgradibility with e.g. Mike's adapted mkv-firmware packages e.g. "ASUS-BW-16D1HT-3.10-WM01601-211901041014.bin" and the other "DE_ASUS_BW-16D1HT_3.02.bin", other DE-firmwares flashed. But not about downgrade behavior with official Asus-3.10-package mentioned (probably risky, I'm not certain, if/if not).

The sleep bug fix has nothing to do with mk. That's part of the 3.10 firmware that Asus put out. So I'm really not sure where you got that the mk patch has anything to do with that. The mk patch for the 3.10 firmware restores uhd friendly functionality and removes a new downgrade restriction that they added. That's it.

OK. Sry for stupid question, just read through again. Can answer myself when reading a bit more+better. So good news, it would be no issue with downgradibility from official Asus 3.10 firmware with Mike's new trick. :)

Last edited:

The problem is with DeUHD and I don't know how they decide a drive is supported or not. A whitelist possibly? It'll be up to Arusoft to do whatever is necessary.

In the meantime I'm going to leave 3.10 MK on one of my drives and leave my other drive as is for use with DeUHD or use my LG WH16NS60.

I don't want to confuse the issue but I will leave this info here in case someone was foolish enough to flash NON MK 3.10 or if you buy a drive in the future that comes with NON MK 3.10. This means the ORIGINAL unaltered 3.10 firmware. This CAN NOT be downgraded using the windows flasher tools and a DE firmware. They added additional protection against that.

So, if you find yourself in this situation, what do you do? Simple....flash MK 3.10. That WILL install over the top of original 3.10. Then you are able to use DE firmware to downgrade it further should you desire to.

I don't want to confuse the issue but I will leave this info here in case someone was foolish enough to flash NON MK 3.10 or if you buy a drive in the future that comes with NON MK 3.10. This means the ORIGINAL unaltered 3.10 firmware. This CAN NOT be downgraded using the windows flasher tools and a DE firmware. They added additional protection against that.

So, if you find yourself in this situation, what do you do? Simple....flash MK 3.10. That WILL install over the top of original 3.10. Then you are able to use DE firmware to downgrade it further should you desire to.

THx for clarification.
Yes expected s.th. like this that the procedure would be, to first flash Mike's mkv-3.10 firmware, and then the downgradibility would be restored also for the DE_ firmwares for the e.g. LG/Asus Windows-flashers, including Mike's.

Theoretical question: Is downgradibility for "Dosflash" affected in some way with the official-Asus-3.10-Firmware?

E.g. what if s.o. "foolish" flashed official Asus 3.10 firmware:
Later he tries to flash Mike's mkv-3.10 firmware to restore downgrade-functionality, but the flash procedure with the windows tools doesn't get through entirely (e.g. power loss, computer hanging, or a automatic Win10 update restart)
Afaik it might happen, that the Windows LG/Asus flasher might refuse to detect the unit e.g. "Atapi device not detected" with corrupted firmwares (at least seen with erased EEPROMs before)
Can you still flash mkv-3.10 firmware, (having a backup-dump + EEPROM data mover to transfer original CB+encyption data)e.g. with Dosflash, to rescue the drive and its downgradibilty? (worst case scenario with corrupted firmware where Windows-utlities+Mike's modified maybe wouldn't detect the unit)

Maybe stupid question. I'd hope no it was no issue, so because the "downgrade-blocking"firmware is corrupted, so the 3.10-official-Asus-blocking-firmware was without functionality, maybe restoring downgradibility, e.g. with Dosflash (worst case scenario).

Last edited:
Um, I don't think you understand the difference between the Windows flashers and dosflash if you're asking that question. Your theoretical "power loss scenario" could happen during a dosflash flash because it's UNSAFE. It's wiping the eeprom and replacing it with every part of the bin file directly. The Windows flasher does not use that method of flashing. It copies the firmware bin to the drive's memory and issues a "self-update" command. If that process fails, the drive goes into recovery mode meaning you simply need to flash it again. So no, your theoretical "corrupt flash" scenario does not exist in Windows. It is only possible in dosflash which is NOT a recommended flash method at this point.

Was wondering if anyone has the WH16NS40 SVC Code NS40 or WH14NS40 SVC Code NS40 bin file so I can try and flash back from NS50 to see if I can get it working again. Chances it might work are slim but won't know till I try. :unsure:

Um, I don't think you understand the difference between the Windows flashers and dosflash if you're asking that question. Your theoretical "power loss scenario" could happen during a dosflash flash because it's UNSAFE. It's wiping the eeprom and replacing it with every part of the bin file directly. The Windows flasher does not use that method of flashing. It copies the firmware bin to the drive's memory and issues a "self-update" command. If that process fails, the drive goes into recovery mode meaning you simply need to flash it again. So no, your theoretical "corrupt flash" scenario does not exist in Windows. It is only possible in dosflash which is NOT a recommended flash method at this point.

Yes I know, I can't express well what asking. ;)
OK so it doesn't have anything thing to do with SPI locking with certain firmwares.

I feared, after flashing official Asus 3.10 firmware, then trying to flash back Mike 3.10-mkv firmware (which possibly the official-3.10-Asus firmware could allow, but not lower versions), but then there would be a powerloss, and the (old) firmware parts outside being flashed over got corrupted, so that the LG or Asus uitlity won't recognize the drive anymore. I feared that akind of more-or-less SPI locking stayed, which new even could prohibit to use Dosflash (only to use with LG/Asus flasher), but now LG and Asus wouldn't work anymore, too, due to corrupted main firmware. Just remembering a case where a user needed to use Dosflash to recover firmware (he flashed wrong BH16NS40 NS50 fw/else afaik), the LG/Asus tools rejected, first dumping the remaining firmware (primarily to rescue the not-touched CB+encryption-data from those LG/Asus tools) with Dosflash, then use EEPROM data mover to transfer the CB+encryption over to a Clean firmware. And he flash that with Dosflash to rescue his drive.

I feared that even that rescue procedure would no longer be orking, because Asus did a harder kind of SPI locking.
But I probably just see too bad things where in reality no are :)

Last edited:
Was wondering if anyone has the WH16NS40 SVC Code NS40 or WH14NS40 SVC Code NS40 bin file so I can try and flash back from NS50 to see if I can get it working again. Chances it might work are slim but won't know till I try. :unsure:

Won't work. Not the way you're thinking. The ONLY way I've seen anyone recover an NS40 code flashed with the NS50 firmware is by doing a really nasty process with dosflash. What sucks is it SHOULD be possible but for whatever reason once the drive is flashed with the NS50 firmware, it is prevented from flashing the NS40 firmware probably due to some protection in the firmware itself so people didn't brick their drive going the other way. If you want the process for rescuing it using dosflash, and assuming you have access to a machine that has a sata port that can be set to IDE mode, let me know.

Yes I know, I can't express well what asking. ;)
OK so it doesn't have anything thing to do with SPI locking with certain firmwares.

I feared, after flashing official Asus 3.10 firmware, then trying to flash back Mike 3.10-mkv firmware (which possibly the official-3.10-Asus firmware could allow, but not lower versions), but then there would be a powerloss, and the (old) firmware parts outside being flashed over got corrupted, so that the LG or Asus uitlity won't recognize the drive anymore. I feared that akind of more-or-less SPI locking stayed, which new even could prohibit to use Dosflash (only to use with LG/Asus flasher), but now LG and Asus wouldn't work anymore, too, due to corrupted main firmware. Just remembering a case where a user needed to use Dosflash to recover firmware (he flashed wrong BH16NS40 NS50 fw/else afaik), the LG/Asus tools rejected, first dumping the remaining firmware (primarily to rescue the not-touched CB+encryption-data from those LG/Asus tools) with Dosflash, then use EEPROM data mover to transfer the CB+encryption over to a Clean firmware. And he flash that with Dosflash to rescue his drive.

I feared that even that rescue procedure would no longer be orking, because Asus did a harder kind of SPI locking.
But I probably just see too bad things where in reality no are :)

no

Won't work. Not the way you're thinking. The ONLY way I've seen anyone recover an NS40 code flashed with the NS50 firmware is by doing a really nasty process with dosflash. What sucks is it SHOULD be possible but for whatever reason once the drive is flashed with the NS50 firmware, it is prevented from flashing the NS40 firmware probably due to some protection in the firmware itself so people didn't brick their drive going the other way. If you want the process for rescuing it using dosflash, and assuming you have access to a machine that has a sata port that can be set to IDE mode, let me know.
Thanks

Unfortunately both flashers will give an error if you try to flash back to NS40 firmware. The only way to get it working again is to connect your drive to SATA port 0 or 1, switch PC to IDE mode in bios and use DOSFLASH & EEPROM Data Mover.

1. Use Dosflash to dump the current NS50 firmware on device. This is important as it still contains your drive calibration info etc..
2. Use the EEPROM Data Mover with your firmware dump and the clean NS40 1.02 bin I have attached to create your new NS40 firmware.
3. Use Dosflash to erase drive.
4. Use Dosflash to write the newly created NS40 bin file.
5. Breathe! Your drive should be working again!!

I am working on the ASUS flasher, trying to get it to flash the NS40 firmware but I'm not having much luck.

Attachments

• LG_WH16NS40_(NS40)_1.02.zip
    1.2 MB · Views: 31
Last edited:

Afaik Mike helped s.o. with his B/WH16NS40. SamurilH mentioned s.th. that he dumped his firmware with Dosflash and transferred over the

One user asked me for a (B)H16NS40 (NS40) firmware. I have one BH16NS40 (NS40) unit from 2014.
Dumping firmware with Dosflash was no issue at all (at least dumping, wrtiting not tested yet).

I have a BH16NS40(NS40) firware dumped.
(B)H16NS40 NS40 / (W)H16NS40 NS40 should be compatible.

I then "cleaned" it with Dump-Cleaner for further preparation e.g. with EEPROM data mover.
As SamurilH said afaik, you need to dump your WH16NS40 firmware (with the rest of WH16NS40 SVC 40 secured remainings)with Dosflash in (IDE) mode.
Then transfer over the laser calibration+encryption data from your WH16NS40 (which the LG/Asus flasher tools didn't touch), with EEPROM-data-mover to a B/WH16NS40 (SVC NS40) Clean firmware and save to new firmware file

The new prepared firmware you can probably flash with Dosflash.

Last edited:
Unfortunately both flashers will give an error if you try to flash back to NS40 firmware. The only way to get it working again is to connect your drive to SATA port 0 or 1, switch PC to IDE mode in bios and use DOSFLASH & EEPROM Data Mover.

1. Use Dosflash to dump the current NS50 firmware on device. This is important as it still contains your drive calibration info etc..
2. Use the EEPROM Data Mover with your firmware dump and the clean NS40 1.02 bin I have attached to create your new NS40 firmware.
3. Use Dosflash to erase drive.
4. Use Dosflash to write the newly created NS40 bin file.
5. Breathe! Your drive should be working again!!

I am working on the ASUS flasher, trying to get it to flash the NS40 firmware but I'm not having much luck. If you want, give this flasher a try first and let me know what error you get.
Don't get any error. All it does is pop out the tray and then nothing. :(

Back