• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

RESOLVED: Dolby Vision does not work with UHD discs

The videos from both programs play. TV shows "HDR" for both and they are identical regarding quality and color.

Just to be more precise: The videos played are both after compression to fit on a 50Gb disc. So it seems CBD retains the HDR information as well in the m2ts file but if burned on a disc there is some glitch that makes the video pale using CBD.
Just to clarify: Which videos from which programs play and show identical quality and color? How? m2ts from your LG player?

The player and the AV receiver both don't accept video via USB.

From your player UP970 manual, english version, page 29:
"This player can play video, audio and photo files contained in the disc or USB device."

Have you tried it?

EDIT:
Unfortunately I found no hint in the manual, that the player can play files from a network share.

Just to clarify: Which videos from which programs play and show identical quality and color? How? m2ts from your LG player?

These were the two 45Gb m2ts files of the main movie "A star is born". One compressed with DVDFab, the other with CBD. Both played via the USB port on my LG TV on a harddisk. Both triggered the "HDR" message on my TV and both also looked like HDR. No bleached out colors when the same stream of CBD plays from the disc. The same stream on a disc from DVDFab triggers the "Dolby Vision" message on the TV. No message and bleached out colors with the stream on a disc compressed with CBD.

From your player UP970 manual, english version, page 29:
"This player can play video, audio and photo files contained in the disc or USB device."

Have you tried it?

EDIT:
Unfortunately I found no hint in the manual, that the player can play files from a network share.

I was in a hurry yesterday but like said it worked with the TV directly.

UPDATE: Same result via the player instead of the TV. Both m2ts file trigger the "HDR" message on the TV.

Last edited:
Same result via the player instead of the TV. Both m2ts file trigger the "HDR" message on the TV.
To summarize: A file from a Dolby Vision copy created with latest CloneBD & latest NVidia drivers works fine when played via USB stick from your player.
This pretty much rules out problems with the actual encode.

Do you know, if not Dolby Vision discs created with CloneBD play correctly in HDR?

I think I will order some just to be prepared for such tests.
This would be great. You could for example try a simple HDR partial copy (just one minute movie is enough). Keep the folder structure. If this doesn't work, burn the folder structure with ImgBurn.

To summarize: A file from a Dolby Vision copy created with latest CloneBD & latest NVidia drivers works fine when played via USB stick from your player.
This pretty much rules out problems with the actual encode.

Do you know, if not Dolby Vision discs created with CloneBD play correctly in HDR?

No issues at all with Non-DV UHDs burned to disc.

Is this just a problem with that player? I ask because back a few weeks ago when I was screwing around testing burning with different firmware on my LG NS60, I compressed A Quiet Place and Ready Player One with Dolby Vision and on my UB820 I've had no issue. I have 2001 so I can test that, if it's confined to more recent titles. It'd be easy for me to test as I just got some BD-RE 50's but if it's only happening with that one player then me testing it wouldn't help.

@SamuriHL
I already did this for coopervid with 2001 UHD.
My Sony 700 and two different Panasonic models, did this perfectly too. It seems to be in his Samsung Player itself.
I think that this can only be solved by the development in CBD.
I may be wrong, but at the noment, this my point of view.

Kufo

Ok. Just checking to see if there's anything I can do to help. I'm making a protected ISO of 2001 now just in case any further testing is needed. My x700 is currently hooked up to my Panny plasma 1080p screen, but since you've already tested that I think we're good there. Seems like a very strange issue.

@SamuriHL
I think so too. (y) Unfortunately I don't know anybody else who owns this player :( I think we'll have to wait until the next beta release.
In my opinion there's something with the Nvidia drivers, that's going wrong with CBD.
Further testing will be needed

Don't get me started on nVidia drivers and UHD. It's been a freaking nightmare getting a proper driver to support sending HDR metadata to the display properly. So yes, I would totally believe that.

My Sony 700 and two different Panasonic models, did this perfectly too. It seems to be in his Samsung Player itself.
I thought he has a LG UP970 UHD Player?
I tested all possibile scenarios with an Oppo UDP-203 (SDR, HDR, DolbyVision) and all is fine with latest Nvidia drivers and latest CloneBD beta.
I think that this can only be solved by the development in CBD.
The problem is, that an LG UP970 is impossible to get. I doubt, that something can be "developed", if the problem cannot be reproduced somehow.

I tested all possibile scenarios with an Oppo UDP-203 (SDR, HDR, DolbyVision) and all is fine with latest Nvidia drivers and latest CloneBD beta.

The problem is, that an LG UP970 is impossible to get. I doubt, that something can be "developed", if the problem cannot be reproduced somehow.
The player is still available in Europe where Elaboratebytes is (at least on paper) located.

https://geizhals.eu/lg-electronics-up970-black-a1558028.html

Or you check what the competition is doing differently, apply some changes to an Alpha version and let me do the testing...

Sorry James, my mistake. :oops: Finally there's no one I know with such a player. They are all with Panasonic or Sony.
What should testing an an OPPO mean for coopervid? I'm also fine with my Sony and the Panasonic This looks like comparing apples with pears, doesn't it?

https://www.amazon.de/gp/offer-list...sedGood=true&f_usedAcceptable=true&f_new=true

I reckon a used player is enough for testing.. If not there is two new to choose from.

Or you check what the competition is doing differently, apply some changes to an Alpha version and let me do the testing...
If you tell Reto what to use and how, (so he can replicate your disc) this is a good idea.
EDIT:
Thinking of it, he can look at the original disc.

Back