• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Dumping & Downgrading firmware on UHD Friendly Devices. (OUTDATED)

DVD's apparently weren't an issue with cross flashed drives. I never tested one. But BD's were for our NS60. If you're staying "on brand" you shouldn't have any issues. E.G. Flashing one LG firmware to an LG firmware of a different drive should be fine.

Hello.
I recently bought an external ASUS BW-16D1H-U. It says "Manufactured November 2018".
Windows device properties show "Driver Date: 21-Jun-2006" and "Driver version: 10.0.15063.1235". AnyDVD HD (v8.3.4.0 - 2019) shows firmware E114.
My problem (for now) is that one regular Full HD Blu-Ray movie already it cannot read/decode properly, likely due to how old is the installed driver. But I would like to keep it UHD-friendly, if possible.
How can I tell if mine is a NS4x, NS5x or NS6x and what driver version (A201?) I should upgrade to?
I tried to flash-out the firmware.bin file with Devilsclaw's LG Renesas Drive Utility, but failed. Would the DOSFLASH method listed at the top of this thread work for an external drive or I should do something different?
Sorry, not an expert at all, just reading through these threads. Thank you.

Last edited:
Hello.
I recently bought an external ASUS BW-16D1H-U. It says "Manufactured November 2018".
Windows device properties show "Driver Date: 21-Jun-2006" and "Driver version: 10.0.15063.1235". AnyDVD HD (v8.3.4.0 - 2019) shows firmware E114.
My problem (for now) is that one regular Full HD Blu-Ray movie already it cannot read/decode properly, likely due to how old is the installed driver. But I would like to keep it UHD-friendly, if possible.
How can I tell if mine is a NS4x, NS5x or NS6x and what driver version (A201?) I should upgrade to?
I tried to flash-out the firmware.bin file with Devilsclaw's LG Renesas Drive Utility, but failed. Would the DOSFLASH method listed at the top of this thread work for an external drive or I should do something different?
There should be a sticker on the top of the drive that says SVC Code: NSXX. IMG_8850 (1).JPG IMG_8856 (1).JPG

Hello.

You need to open the case and remove the drive. Then tell us what you have.

@Aristeidis Karalis
Firmware E114 indicates a Pioneer drive.
Just open the tray and make a picture of the front.

Unfortunately, you are correct, it's Pioneer. That's what I get, for not following people's suggestions, just to buy something that looks *nicer*. This crap cost me $160!
Anyway, is there any chance this could become UHD-friendly? If not, should I just do the online ASUS firmware upgrade? (At least to read newer HD BDs.)

Attachments

• AsusPioneerBD.jpg
    AsusPioneerBD.jpg
    214.6 KB · Views: 19
Unfortunately, you are correct, it's Pioneer. That's what I get, for not following people's suggestions, just to buy something that looks *nicer*. This crap cost me $160!
Anyway, is there any chance this could become UHD-friendly? If not, should I just do the online ASUS firmware upgrade? (At least to read newer HD BDs.)

Not likely to become UHD Friendly. (at least not any time soon.)

Hello.
Windows device properties show "Driver Date: 21-Jun-2006" and "Driver version: 10.0.15063.1235".

This is the Windows cd-rom driver and should be left alone please. It has nothing to do with drive flashing, drive support or any of that.

I thought the ASUS BW-16D1H-U contained an ASUS drive. It's really a Pioneer inside? That's wild.

It depends, afaik the "newer" ones are all Pioneer.
Don't know exactly in which time frame they've used Asus drives with A201 & A203.
@Aristeidis Karalis
Your only option is to buy an internal ASUS/LG and put it in the external ASUS case.
If you need instructions how to open it just contact me.
There are two "hidden" screws in the bottom.

Last edited:
It depends, afaik the "newer" ones are all Pioneer.
Don't know exactly in which time frame they've used Asus drives with A201 & A203.
@Aristeidis Karalis
Your only option is to buy an internal ASUS/LG and put it in the external ASUS case.
If you need instructions how to open it just contact me.
There are two "hidden" screws in the bottom.

Thank you, I opened it, I had posted an image above in my previous post that shows the Pioneer label. (Those 2 screws were really tough to unscrew!)
Yeah, I obviously should have bought an internal ASUS/LG with an enclosure, as everybody was suggesting.
Now, I'm just not sure if can return this, after I opened it. I didn't see any safety tape that would break the warranty though...
(Plus they are trying to kill UHD Blu-rays anyway (see Samsung), but that's another discussion...)

Thank you, I opened it, I had posted an image above in my previous post that shows the Pioneer label. (Those 2 screws were really tough to unscrew!)
Yeah, I obviously should have bought an internal ASUS/LG with an enclosure, as everybody was suggesting.
Now, I'm just not sure if can return this, after I opened it. I didn't see any safety tape that would break the warranty though...
(Plus they are trying to kill UHD Blu-rays anyway (see Samsung), but that's another discussion...)

Don't worry about returning it. Just sit the Pioneer drive aside and buy an internal ASUS or LG to put it in the enclosure.

DVD's apparently weren't an issue with cross flashed drives. I never tested one. But BD's were for our NS60. If you're staying "on brand" you shouldn't have any issues. E.G. Flashing one LG firmware to an LG firmware of a different drive should be fine.
I cross flashed one of my NS60 drives to Asus 3.01 firmware with out any issues it reads 4ks& Blurays and writes them with no problem and it works with anydvdand all dvd function fine everything test just fine my other NS60 drive I have not got around to even trying it yet.

I cross flashed one of my NS60 drives to Asus 3.01 firmware with out any issues it reads 4ks& Blurays and writes them with no problem and it works with anydvdand all dvd function fine everything test just fine my other NS60 drive I have not got around to even trying it yet.

What kind of BD-R/E's did you try? I fried a BD-RE 25 and testiles fried a bunch of BD-R's trying to burn with the ASUS firmware on that drive. I was able to fix the issue by doing a full flash with dosflash (not a safe method of flashing a drive but was once all we had). After flashing a dump from my ASUS with 3.02 and replacing the drive's encryption data in the firmware I could burn everything.

What kind of BD-R/E's did you try? I fried a BD-RE 25 and testiles fried a bunch of BD-R's trying to burn with the ASUS firmware on that drive. I was able to fix the issue by doing a full flash with dosflash (not a safe method of flashing a drive but was once all we had). After flashing a dump from my ASUS with 3.02 and replacing the drive's encryption data in the firmware I could burn everything.
all I have tried are 25GB BD-Rs that is all i have on hand right now.

Those failed for us.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Yea that's odd. We weren't able to make it work.

@How did you convert the BH16NS60 drive? EEPROM data mover method or by hexediting method or other way?

Just to add. Did a conversion for other person with hexediting method) exactly using Teddies Herange, from his original BH16NS60 copy dump (within manafacturer product line) to BH16NS55 1.03/1.02/1.01/1.00 Clean, and from BH16NS60 original dump to BW-16D1HT 3.03/3.02/3.021/3.00 Clean.
https://forum.redfox.bz/threads/converting-uhd-friendly-drive-into-uhd-real-and-viceversa.74544/

And another conversion from BH16NS60 with EEPROM data mover to BH16NS55 and BW-16D1HT to compare.
The EEPROM data mover certainly seems to output different result (different file checksums) than using with Teddies hexrange method upper link(!) (on a UHD-official->to UHD-friendly-conversion!)
(I'm 100% certain, did all correctly with the hex offsets and ranges)
--
Maybe something of one of those methods (EEPROM data mover or hexediting method) makes the difference.

Last edited:
Neither method. We are talking about taking the ns60 and cross flashing it with the Asus 3.02 firmware and then attempting to burn Blu-ray media.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Back