• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

CloneDVD can't do 10+ VOB files?

axel621

Hi there, wondering if anyone else has come across this problem, and if there is a way around it, or is going to be addressed in a future release of CloneDVD?

The problem is that it appears CloneDVD cannot handle a VOB file series of 10 or more (where the total size is >10Gb). I want to remaster all my TV series DVDs to cut down on the number of discs needed, by demuxing all individual episodes, then multiplexing more of them back together for a single DL disk, and came across this issue (ie. instead of 24 episodes spread across 6 disks, I want them on 4 disks)

When starting the transcoding process, it goes through the scanning of the VOB's and comes back with the error message 'missing title VOB files(s) named VTS_01_*.VOB". When I redid the files so that there were only 9 VOB's (<10Gb), it works fine. But the moment there is a 10th VOB in there, it fails with this error.

Was CloneDVD written not to be able to handle more than 9 VOB's, seeing as you would never get that many on an actual DVD? Or is it possibly an 8.3 naming issue?

Any help on this would be appreciated.

Cheers.

I suspect only a developer will be able to answer your question properly.

That said, I don't think the number of .vobs is the issue, so much as the disc size. The movie, Stranger Than Fiction, has 99 .vobs. Most of the them are junk that Anydvd manages to block out for Clonedvd, but still, there are more than 10 valid ones.
It seems to me Clonedvd is intended to backup commercial dvd movies, and I'm not aware of any that exceed a 8.5 GB +R DL disc size. And I also suspect Clonedvd doesn't compress 10 gb down to 8.5gb either (or at least, I haven't tried--and I haven't read of anyone attempting to do so with Clonedvd; also I thought selecting "dvd-9" near the quality bar in Clonedvd automatically disabled the transcoder anyway). The reason I mention this is because you say things work fine with 9 Vobs, and you say 9 vobs are less than 10GB. What is the total size of 9 vobs? If it's 8.5 GB or less then my theory seems reasonable. But I do stress that I am guessing here.

Also, Clonedvd is not intended for merging/joining different sources. You may find a third party product offers the reauthoring features that may be more suited to your task.

You may want to ask in the Third Party Products forum:
http://forum.slysoft.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35

Last edited:
does it fail on different VOBs?

if it always fails on a specific one, take a different one out and see if it still fails, if it fails on that same one still (with only 9 vobs) your vob file is probably corrupt.

I have tried many different types of VOBs, drawn from both the material I am trying to remaster, and others. It always fails when the total size of VOBs exceeds 9Gb.

Webslinger -

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I am speaking only of VOBs that are filled completely, to 1Gb. My apologies. You do bring up a good point, though, so it must be that CloneDVD is indeed addressing a greater number of VOBs, it is just the total size that is the issue. And as you suspect, it's probably related to the fact that there are no DVDs one could copy from that would be greater than 8.5Gb in size, so it wasn't coded for it.

I'm just using CloneDVD to do the transcoding, nothing more. I use VOBEdit to demux the originals, then DVDAuthor to multiplex the files back together, with more episodes per disc than originally, but still enough to fit on a DL if it could be compressed by about 20% in CloneDVD. And that's where I'm hitting my wall.

it is just the total size that is the issue. And as you suspect, it's probably related to the fact that there are no DVDs one could copy from that would be greater than 8.5Gb in size, so it wasn't coded for it.

Yeah, I think that is the issue here. I've never tried anything that large with Clonedvd, and I doubt Clonedvd was coded to deal with anything that huge. That said, I'm not a developer, so I can't say for certain, but that's my theory anyway. You might want to try asking Elaborate Bytes:
http://elby.ch/products/clone_dvd/support.php (the official developer of Clonedvd)

but still enough to fit on a DL if it could be compressed by about 20% in CloneDVD. And that's where I'm hitting my wall.

I've got a feeling you're going to need something else to compress, unfortunately.

I use VOBEdit to demux the originals, then DVDAuthor to multiplex the files back together

Oh, o.k., I was wondering what you were using actually.

Last edited:
Thanks for that Webslinger. I'll shoot them an email and see if I can get any info back.

Cheers.

Thanks for that Webslinger. I'll shoot them an email and see if I can get any info back.

Cheers.
Please don't. CloneDVD is designed to process files from an original DVD disc, which is specified to be 8.5 GB in size. What you are trying to do is beyond the DVD specification, so it is no surprise CloneDVD will not work correctly.

Oh, okay...

I was hoping that since I was trying to make a normal DVD-DL, that it would be alright, or failing that, it wouldn't be a big fix in the program to allow it to read source DVD files that are larger than 8.5Gb. I haven't come across any other PC software that has a problem dealing with larger than normal DVDs (via mounted ISOs), so I was hoping it was an arbitrary limit imposed in the coding.

I was hoping to avoid going back to DVD-Shrink since I already bought CloneDVD. Oh well, thanks for the help anyway.

Cheers.

Back