• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Dumping & Downgrading firmware on UHD Friendly Devices. (OUTDATED)

No IDE ode in Bios only have AHCI AND Raid options. I am not that good at stuff like this and with the price of drives now I fugue I could just get a new one if this didn't work. Thanks for the help though. :)

Yeah, no worries. That drive is a few years old now anyway. Probably a good excuse to replace it! How is your BU40N going? Is it working for UHD's?

OK. The only chance of getting that drive to work again is to use the old DOSFLASH method. You will need to be able to put your computer into IDE mode in BIOS and connect drive to SATA port 0 or 1 on motherboard.

Use DOSFLASH to dump a copy of your firmware first.
Then use the EEPROM data mover to copy your drive calibration data to the clean 1.01 firmware I gave you previously to generate a new 1.01 specific to your drive.
Use DOSFLASH to erase drive.
Use DOSFLASH to write newly generated 1.01 to your drive.

I know he's not going to do this method (we discussed it earlier), but, I would add something to this....it's likely the calibration data on that drive is corrupt. There are a couple firmwares for his drive out there where czar2mary created a custom firmware for other people with his extracted calibration data. The eeprom data mover with that firmware would copy the encryption data and leave his calibration data in place and probably fix the drive. Just an FYI for any future situations like this....it's a decent idea to just use calibration data from another drive with the digital signature of the drive being flashed.

D'D's
Yeah, no worries. That drive is a few years old now anyway. Probably a good excuse to replace it! How is your BU40N going? Is it working for UHD's?
Have none to test with but reading and ripping DVD's and Blu-ray's work fine. Will let you know when I get some UHD's.

I know he's not going to do this method (we discussed it earlier), but, I would add something to this....it's likely the calibration data on that drive is corrupt. There are a couple firmwares for his drive out there where czar2mary created a custom firmware for other people with his extracted calibration data. The eeprom data mover with that firmware would copy the encryption data and leave his calibration data in place and probably fix the drive. Just an FYI for any future situations like this....it's a decent idea to just use calibration data from another drive with the digital signature of the drive being flashed.

Yep, I figured this would probably be the case. I do have a WH16NS40 (NS40) 1.02 firmware bin direct from someone's drive (uncleaned) so this still has it's calibration data.

I was hanging onto this for situations just like this. I simply didn't mention it as he said he was unable to do the DOSFLASH method.

Yep, I figured this would probably be the case. I do have a WH16NS40 (NS40) 1.02 firmware bin direct from someone's drive (uncleaned) so this still has it's calibration data.

I was hanging onto this for situations just like this. I simply didn't mention it as he said he was unable to do the DOSFLASH method.

Yea I did some digging earlier today and had found one that czary2mary posted for someone else with the same symptoms. He basically took the dump from a working drive and replaced the encryption key data. The person dosflashed it and was able to recover the drive. THIS is why I extracted all my original firmware from each drive before I started messing around. I even extracted the calibration and encryption data to separate hex files just to have them. ;) I really should write a tool that properly migrates the calibration data along with the encryption data. An upgraded data mover tool, if you will....that downgrade enables the firmware while its at it. When I get a minute I may consider it. I need to get back to an Android program I'm writing first.

Last edited:
You should buy a LG BH16NS55 that can be converted to ASUS BW-16D1HT or right away the ASUS. The drives you checked are also not my recommendation if you want to work with UHD discs.

@Marty S. McFly,

I'm pretty sure (but don't quote me on it!) that the WH16NS40 is the USA equivalent of the BH16NS55. I remember reading somewhere (a while ago, so can't remember where!) that it is the same drive, just a different name for different regions. America calls it the WH16NS40 (SVC: NS50) and Europe / Australia calls it the BH16NS55.

Anyway,

The drive is fine just as long as it has SVC NS50 on the drive label. (If the drive is brand new, then one would assume this to be the case..) It would most like come with firmware version 1.03 so would need downgrading to 1.02 or cross-flashing to another firmware for UHD Readability.

The NS40 is the same as the NS55? Interesting. I did not know that. But given that there's 2 versions of the NS40 out there it you definitely need to make sure the SVC code is NS50.

Last edited:
Burned a DVD successfully and played back in my Blu-ray player. :dance:No BD's to test yet.

Back