• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Dumping & Downgrading firmware on UHD Friendly Devices. (OUTDATED)

@MartyMcNuts what is this new method?? the application will do all the necessary HEX editing as well as dumping your original Firmware, etc? I haven't tried it but will it also Cross Flash as well?

It doesn't require hex editing or dumping firmware. The new method uses cleaned firmware that has already been patched for downgrade enable and allows you to use a patched exe flasher to flash it in Windows. No sata->ide nonsense, no booting to dos, no building a winpe....just straight up flashing. And yes, you can cross flash with it, as well. And also yes, it works on external USB drives.

Yea, we're all very appreciative of the info that was shared on another forum to make this possible. I think he was...upset...that others were charging over 100 bucks for a dangerous flashing process (which had been done by many for free but required some legwork). And by dangerous he means bricking drives if you do it wrong. Losing calibration data, potentially. Losing your drive bus encryption key, etc. Yes, if you were careful the process would work but since you were whacking parts of the firmware that the official flashing process doesn't touch, it was inherently far more dangerous. Now with this process you're using the official drive update process so if something goes wrong it goes into recover mode instead of bricking the drive. It also doesn't touch the bus encryption key and calibration data, making it MUCH safer. So very glad he shared this info with us.

Geez... my drive was only $68... charging $100 is robbery. Very appreciative and just a shout out to say THANKS!

I agree. 109 bucks for a tool most people will use once that has the same basic requirements as the old free method but with the one added benefit of being able to work on 64 bit windows...is excessive.

Tried Flashing. my hl-dt-st bd-re bu40n and got this message after flashing was done. Is this normal? Also I tried playing some DVD's and Blu-ray's and they seen to play fine. Don't have any UHD's yet to try. Untitled 20.jpg

No that's not normal. Something didn't finish properly. I would:

Power down the entire machine. Not reboot. Power OFF
Load up Windows, EXIT AnyDVD
Flash again

I think people forget to exit AnyDVD before they flash sometimes. Not saying that's the case here, but, if you didn't it could maybe cause an issue.

It did have 1.02 now has 1.00. Anydvd was not running at the time. I am currently making an iso of a blu-ray with AnyDVD's rip to iso function . Will let you know if it worked. On a side note I found a LG WH14NS40 from 2015 I forgot I had. :dance: Update the Blu-ray ripped and plays fine with PowerDVD 18.

Last edited:
Well I went and checked my LG WH14NS40 to see what firmware was on it using NEW UHD Friendly FW Flashing Tool + Firmware and accidentally flashed it with another firmware and can't get the drive to read and discs. Windows said the drive was WH14NS40 so flashed that firmware back on it and now doesn't read any discs. The label on the drive says WH16S40 for some strange reason and even that firmware didn't work. The drive is in a USB case. :cry: IMG_8850.JPG IMG_8856.JPG

Last edited:
Power the drive off completely, make sure anydvd isn't running, turn the drive back on, and attempt to flash it with the proper firmware again. If that doesn't work things might get a little ugly.

For the record the anydvd status window shows what firmware is on the drive. Loading the flasher just to see what's on it is not advised.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

P.s. that drive has the wrong service code for uhd reading so if that's what you're testing know that it's not going to work regardless of what firmware you flash.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Ok, I wasn't sure if you were attempting to read UHD's with it and that's why you were saying it wasn't reading discs. If it can't read DVD and blu-ray then something is very wrong and it'll need to be flashed again with the proper firmware.

Ok, I wasn't sure if you were attempting to read UHD's with it and that's why you were saying it wasn't reading discs. If it can't read DVD and blu-ray then something is very wrong and it'll need to be flashed again with the proper firmware.
Tried the firmware from lg site for the WH14NS40 and tells me the SVC Code is NS50. Tried also the WH16NS40 firmware but gave me this error.

Attachments

• Untitled 1.jpg
    Untitled 1.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 20
Tried the firmware from lg site for the WH14NS40 and tells me the SVC Code is NS50. Tried also the WH16NS40 firmware but gave me this error.

If it's telling you the SVC Code is NS50 then the sticker you showed in your previous picture is wrong. NS50 is the code you need for UHD friendly potential. I suspect whatever you flashed previously is preventing the official flasher from recognizing the drive properly. I wonder if extracting the 1.03 firmware from the official LG flasher and then attempting to flash that with the patched flasher would help. If you want I can extract the firmware bin file from the LG flasher and attach it here for you to try. If that works, it'd be on a UHD unfriendly version but at least you could attempt to downgrade to 1.02 after that and see if it works.

If it's telling you the SVC Code is NS50 then the sticker you showed in your previous picture is wrong. NS50 is the code you need for UHD friendly potential. I suspect whatever you flashed previously is preventing the official flasher from recognizing the drive properly. I wonder if extracting the 1.03 firmware from the official LG flasher and then attempting to flash that with the patched flasher would help. If you want I can extract the firmware bin file from the LG flasher and attach it here for you to try. If that works, it'd be on a UHD unfriendly version but at least you could attempt to downgrade to 1.02 after that and see if it works.
It's probably telling me it's SVC Code is NS50 cause I flashed it with the DE_flash_HL-DT-ST_BD-RE_WH14NS40_1.02_NS50 from this site. might need firmware like that with SVC Code NS40 if possible in both WH14NS40 and WH16NS40 so I could try and see if one works.

Last edited:
Back