• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Another CloneBD noob evaluating it.

Ron Hill

Couple of questions.
1) I am aiming for lossless copies (identical to source material in playback) of my blurays/UHDs. I started a test rip to MKV and selected lossless for both video and audio. I have noticed that selecting fast rendering vs high quality in settings makes an enormous difference in the time taken to complete the process. Why is this so if I am selecting lossless for video and audio in the main interface?
2) My PC Vista desktop is running at 1920x1080 in resolution. The CloneBD interface is not fitting my display. It is horribly oversized forcing me to use the ALT-Drag utility to allow me to scroll the window to see bits of it. Also, drop down dialog choice boxes are all incorrectly sized and overlayed. It's a bit of a dogs dinner visually. I suspect it's something to do with the DirectX choice for interface. Is this something easily fixable in a DirectX setting or what?

No clue about 1) but my monitors are at 1080p too, and yes the GUI is a bit big, but fits fine for me.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 6P met Tapatalk

1) I am aiming for lossless copies (identical to source material in playback) of my blurays/UHDs. I started a test rip to MKV and selected lossless for both video and audio. I have noticed that selecting fast rendering vs high quality in settings makes an enormous difference in the time taken to complete the process. Why is this so if I am selecting lossless for video and audio in the main interface?
You would have to post a CloneBD log file created after each of those copies. CloneBD outputs a cbdlog file in the destination directoy per default.
Then we can see, what actually happened (and yes, for a lossless copy, it should not make a difference in speed, so something may be forcing on transcoding).

2) My PC Vista desktop is running at 1920x1080 in resolution. The CloneBD interface is not fitting my display. It is horribly oversized forcing me to use the ALT-Drag utility to allow me to scroll the window to see bits of it. Also, drop down dialog choice boxes are all incorrectly sized and overlayed. It's a bit of a dogs dinner visually. I suspect it's something to do with the DirectX choice for interface. Is this something easily fixable in a DirectX setting or what?
No, it's not about DirectX.

I just tested on a Vista VM with 1920x1080:
CloneBD shows up normally.
If you have set the DPI of the display to a value far above the default 96DPI, CloneBD will attempt to scale to that size.
But the High-DPI support under Vista sucks (as does pretty much everything else, Vista just is an unfinished product) and it just doesn't work right.
Especially "intermediate" values, that are no multiples of 100% will cause trouble. For example a DPI setting of 150% will force CloneBD to be shown at 200% and appear way too large, I assume, that's what you have.

There is a registry value you can play with:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Elaborate Bytes\CloneBD -> ScreenScalingMode (REG_DWORD)
You will have to add that value, it's not present by default.
Possible values are 0, 1, 2 and 3.
I suppose, value 3 would work best for you - it tells CloneBD to tell Vista, that it doesn't know a thing about higher DPI, then Vista will scale the application "graphically".
Looks a bit blurry then, but should be mostly OK.

An even better solution would be to get Windows 7, if you can (I won't suggest 8 or higher to anyone still sticking with Vista, that would be too painful :().

EDIT: due to a copy&paste error, the name of the registry value was incorrect, I just fixed that.

Last edited:
Pete. You were spot on about the DPI. Set to default 96DPI and the interface looks correct now. Thanks. I decided to do some tests ripping the first 5 mins of a film lossless and capturing the logs for fast and high in video quality settings respectively but I am not experiencing the same issues any more. I am getting a solid 120fps conversion rate and the onscreen message is now saying "The current video is being copied without being transcoded" which is exactly what I want. Generating a lossless Aliens DC with the full DTS-MA 5.1 is going to take around 32 mins in total. Frankly considering the age of my PC I am finding this very impressive.

Glad you have things solved. However that said, you really should (if you can) update your system to at least Win 7. That OS is still good for security updates till end of januari, next year. Then it's game over for that one too. Windows Vista has long since been dropped and frankly, you're endangering yourself if you still go online with that old machine (even more prone to virusses, malware, identity theft etc...)

But in the end it's your choice.

Planning to upgrade my Vista machine to Windows 8 shortly. Clean C:\ install. Need to check if there are any licence key files on there that I need to preserve for programs I've bought like AnyDVDHD, DVD Audio Extractor etc so I can save them out for reinstall after the OS upgrade.

windows 8 is EOL on jan 2023, but the interface is absolutely horrible. Especially with that forced "tile navigation" start screen. A better option would then be to simply go to 10, if your system is powerful enough.

Back