• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Problems with screener - crashes while scanning

BobBobberson

I'm a new user and I'm unable to rip a disc as AnyDVD crashes when it starts scanning.

Obviously, I'd like to be able upload a log file for this disc but AnyDVD crashes as it starts scanning. Is there any other way to upload a log file in order to figure out how to rip this disc?

Thanks!

I also tried the latest version release today (8.3.3.0) and it still crashes when scanning the disc. Any ideas?

Please clarify 'screener'. If you're talking about discs that are sent out to movie critics and award show movie reviewers, you're NOT even supposed to have one of those unless you're one of those people. Your definitely not meant to back them up.

Before this goes any further, please clarify.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 6P met Tapatalk

Hi everyone. I too am having an issue with AnyDVD and screeners (yes, those sent out to people for award consideration). I live in Los Angeles and get them sent to me due to my job. I don't have a dvd/bluray player hooked up to my TV -- only an Android TV box that streams from my desktop and that's the only real way I can watch on my TV. That said, I've searched the forums and found some threads like these regarding screeners. Does AnyDVD choose not to support these discs until they're released commercially? If so, totally fine and I'll go away quietly :) Just not sure on AnyDVD's stance. If they would be supported, happy to provide some log files too...

Anydvd doesn't choose anything. But I don't believe there's any sense in adding support for screener discs (that usually either so between color/b&w, scrolling text throughout the movie,...), because they're not available to the general public like normal releases. However in the end it's up to @James or @Pete

Thanks for the reply. I understand that the software doesn't choose to do anything. I mean the development team. If they want to incorporate whatever the new protection schemes are on screeners yet or not. I thought that they (DVD makers) use new protection methods usually on these first and then those protections eventually roll out to commercial DVDs. I was just asking if the developers wanted to analyze/handle these new encryptions (if that is indeed what they are) or if they have decided not to support them as a policy since they're on screeners and not yet a commercial method of encryption/protection.

Just not sure on AnyDVD's stance. If they would be supported, happy to provide some log files too...
Because of professional curiosity, please post as many logfiles, as you wish. ;)

Sorry for the delayed reply as I was away for the holidays. Like calikw, I work in the "industry" and I receive screeners. I also figured that this would be a way for AnyDVD to be head of the copy protection as these screeners usually have the latest and greatest protection/encryption. The personal reason I'd like to decrypt some of these discs is that these are films that I've worked on and since we are not given copies of our work in a timely manner (6mo after release), I am often reduced to taking clips from screeners in order to hunt for the next job.

Forgive me if this is an obvious question, but how do I get a log file if AnyDVD crashes right away? As soon as AnyDVD starts scanning the disc, it crashes, so I am unable to do the "Create logfile" menu option.

Thanks!

Sorry for the delayed reply as I was away for the holidays. Like calikw, I work in the "industry" and I receive screeners. I also figured that this would be a way for AnyDVD to be head of the copy protection as these screeners usually have the latest and greatest protection/encryption. The personal reason I'd like to decrypt some of these discs is that these are films that I've worked on and since we are not given copies of our work in a timely manner (6mo after release), I am often reduced to taking clips from screeners in order to hunt for the next job.

Forgive me if this is an obvious question, but how do I get a log file if AnyDVD crashes right away? As soon as AnyDVD starts scanning the disc, it crashes, so I am unable to do the "Create logfile" menu option.

Thanks!
If it crashes, does it create a dump file? If yes, please post this one.

Not that I have received notice about, nor do I see anything in the logs directory. Is there somewhere else I should look?

I receive the pop up that AnyDVD is scanning the disc and will be available shortly. A few seconds later the taskbar icon disappears and AnyDVD is no longer running in the task manager. It ramps up to about 3.7% of the CPU utilization and then poof it disappears.

I thought that they (DVD makers) use new protection methods usually on these first and then those protections eventually roll out to commercial DVDs.
No idea if this actually occurs, but if true, then all older existing screeners should be decrypted easily with current Anydvd versions.
Do the studios require you to return your screener under threat of penalty?

You are correct that older screeners decrypt easily. In fact, some of this year's screeners do as well, but others have some new advanced protection. Screeners are ours to keep and are to be destroyed after viewing and voting (usually in Jan or Feb).

In case it helps, it seems to be just one of the major studios who has this type of copy protection.

It doesn't, since without a logfile, there's nothing the developers can do. Try the latest beta and see if that one doesn't crash (even if it fails to correctly decrypt) and if it doesn't, provide a logfile.

Sent from my Nexus 7 with Tapatalk

I am having the same issues. When I put in a disk it says Anydvd is scanning and disk will be available shortly, then it fades away. When I go to right click the logo from the system tray, it simply vanishes. Tried it on both 8330 & 8331. I have uploaded a video so that you can see for yourself. It won't even let me get to the menu to try and create a log file. Please Advise. Dell Inspiron Zino HD. Windows 7.

Last edited:
I am having the same issues. When I put in a disk it says Anydvd is scanning and disk will be available shortly, then it fades away. When I go to right click the logo from the system tray, it simply vanishes. Tried it on both 8330 & 8331. I have uploaded a video so that you can see for yourself. It won't even let me get to the menu to try and create a log file. Please Advise. Dell Inspiron Zino HD. Windows 7.

Hi Muji.

The bubble fading away is normal.

The tray icon disappearing is obviously not.

Are you trying to play a screener also?

T

I tried the latest beta and still have the same problem. It is the same as in the video that Muji posted that demonstrates how the taskbar icon disappears shortly after it starts to scan the disk. Also, in the task manager I can see the application suddenly disappear too.

I tried the latest beta and still have the same problem. It is the same as in the video that Muji posted that demonstrates how the taskbar icon disappears shortly after it starts to scan the disk. Also, in the task manager I can see the application suddenly disappear too.

What's weird about that is, even when I've had a disc cause AnyDVD to crash (and "disappear" as in the video), first it produced a dump and a pop-up telling me where to find the dump and where to send it...

T

That's not weird at all, that's intended and by design. Anydvd upon next start after that crash v recognised it didn't close normally, sees the logfile and asks you to mail it to the developers for a look (and fix).

Perfectly normal and entirely by design.

Back