• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Step By Step

I got it to work using CloneBD :) I don't want any compression so I set video to "Original Lossless" and created a MKV file. My projector is an Epson LS10000 that does not have HDR capabilities, the picture looks a bit washed out, could this be why and if so is it possible to copy SDR only?

No HDR support: washed out colors yes. Perfectly normal. Convert HDR to SDR will probably have the same effect, can't say for sure as I don't do uhd.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 6P met Tapatalk

No. I'm not sure if there's anything you have to configure in Kodi to get UHD's to play. There might be. I use a variant of Kodi on my SHIELD and I'm able to play UHD MKV's just fine. If you have AnyDVD, grab CloneBD and rip it to MKV format and try that in Kodi and see if it plays any better. But there's nothing in AnyDVD you need to change.

EDIT: I see a couple more replies since I was typing this. Ok, so you got it playing, that's good. If you don't have HDR support, you are going to have to tonemap to SDR. This is what madvr is working on right now but that's PC only. The SHIELD will NOT tonemap so that's definitely an issue if you're using a SHIELD.

Convert HDR to SDR will probably have the same effect
No, that's the whole point of converting to SDR. So non-HDR equipment doesn't show those washed out colors.
CloneBD properly transforms the color space.

No, that's the whole point of converting to SDR. So non-HDR equipment doesn't show those washed out colors.
CloneBD properly transforms the color space.

Ah hell yea I forgot about CloneBD's capability in that regard. Yes, that will work. It's one of the paid options of CloneBD so you will need a license, but, it's pretty much the solution you need and it'll work very well.

P.S. The washed out colors are not just from lack of HDR. It sounds like the tv does not support BT.2020. In which case, it needs to be tonemapped to rec.709 which is what CloneBD will do as will madvr.

That's great news people, thank you very much for all the feedback. Going to purchase CloneBD now, you are correct projector will not do 2020 so I'm off to figure out how to tonemap to SDR rec.709 :)

You're on the right track. If you have any issues with CloneBD, be sure to start a topic in the CloneBD forum and we'll try to help.

I am running downhill with no brakes, there is no stopping me know :) I have completed my first successful UHD and it looks and sounds wonderful.......on to number two. Still not sure how AnyDVD works with this, do I still need it, what happens when my Free Trial runs out.....or will CloneBD do everything?

Anydvd is required for disc decryption. CloneBD alone CANNOT and never will handle copy protected content.

Sent from my Nexus 7 with Tapatalk

Yup. AnyDVD handles the protection. CloneBD handles the remastering. And yes, both are very much worth it.

Received my friendly drive, tried to rip a 4k bluray with AnyDVD (Rip Video Disc To Hard Disc) would not work (Hancock), tried another (Men In black) and it ripped just fine but Kodi cannot play it, it scanned it but upon pressing play nothing happens. Trying another movie now but I am pretty sure my settings are the same as they were when I ripped blue-ray successfully. Are any settings different when ripping 4k?
Studlygoorite:

May I ask, Which friendly Blu-ray drive (model number please) did you buy and where did you purchase it? I want to buy a new drive to replace my old Blu-ray drive that won't read or rip UHD titles.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Studlygoorite:

May I ask, Which friendly Blu-ray drive (model number please) did you buy and where did you purchase it? I want to buy a new drive to replace my old Blu-ray drive that won't read or rip UHD titles.

Thanks.

Ditto.

I'm curious about the what, where (and how much) too because I have a new Desktop and am in the market for another UHD-friendly ...

T

You have to be careful. It's not just "what drive" but also what firmware version. While it's possible to downgrade some drives the process is not pain free.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

You won't, at least not here. What pretty people do on another forum has no impact here as long as it isn't done publicly on this over, everything's just fine

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 6P met Tapatalk

@testiles, @Jeffrey A Landwehr,

I hope I don't get in trouble but there are a couple of nice people selling "UHD Friendly" drives over on the MakeMKV forum.

Thanks for the tip, Marty.

I'll check it out.

You sure they are "nice" though (lol).

Someone came on this Forum several months ago saying they were downgrading and selling friendlies.

But he was a new member and I was a bit leary...

Truth is though that at this point, these may be the only avenues to acquire new friendlies.

Well, I guess eBay too but I'm not much of an eBay person.

T

Thanks for the tip, Marty.

I'll check it out.

You sure they are "nice" though (lol).

Someone came on this Forum several months ago saying they were downgrading and selling friendlies.

But he was a new member and I was a bit leary...

Truth is though that at this point, these may be the only avenues to acquire new friendlies.

Well, I guess eBay too but I'm not much of an eBay person.

T

Yeah @testiles, I say 'nice' because they (myself included, lol) are happy to help out anyone looking for UHD friendly drives or firmware changes. You are right, approx 99% of drives these days will need firmware changes for UHD friendliness.

Ditto.

I'm curious about the what, where (and how much) too because I have a new Desktop and am in the market for another UHD-friendly ...

T
Sorry for the late reply but yes, I contacted Alex through MakeMKV he set me up with a ASUS BW-16D1HT with the proper firmware and tested it and would not accept payment until I had it up and running at home. :) 135.00 but there are less expensive drives.

Back