• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Dumping & Downgrading firmware on UHD Friendly Devices. (OUTDATED)

jep, this is no joke... But "The Marsian" is the only movie that works. Maybe there is no Secure Protection on the disc. As I remember... it was one of the first UHD Movies that was launched in Germany. At this Time I have have round about 35 UHD Movies on my own,- i think i have tried 20 Discs. No one works,- but the Marsian :)

So I've start search on google and found this Topic. Like some other site this Guide says 3.0 or 3.1 is
recommended. I think the Drive is not the Problem, because after Flashing FW no kind of Disc start to spin. That means,- DVD and Bluray doesn't work.

I think it's this Point: *** - This point is useful for importing the correct laser calibration data but I've found that ASUS/LG devices have almost the same behaviour even with different calibration data.

The Question is why the new created FW with the working Calibration doesn't work.

From what I know, the newer BW-16D1HT units (anyway from 2016 and later) in fact use quite different electronics inside than the older BW-16D1HT-revisions (2015 and older)
It's just that ASUS, unfortunately packs the same model-name Asus on to their newer drives.
Afaik Asus doesn't build those Blu-ray drives. LG does produce, and Asus buys them and rebadges them under different label, and packs a different front-plastic cover around, +enhanced firmware.

I'm pretty sure from what people told, the newer Asus BW-16D1HTs (2016 and later) are basically in fact LG BH16NS55 internally, but with modified firmware compared to BH16NS55, which is faster and less noisy. That's why you can crossflash NS50 compatible LG drives like BH16NS55 to Asus BW-16D1HT and vice versa. And myabe (B/WH16NS40 SVC 50), too
Seen myself, Dosflash reports same "MediaTek" chipset on my BH16NS55 (production 2017) as on BW-16D1HT (production 2017).

You have flashed newer Asus BW-16D1HT firmware on an older-revision-BW-16D1HT (with different hardware). So firmware incompatibility. That's why also not any types of discs start to spin now.

Last edited:
Maybe you're right. I will buy a newer Version from Amazon and take the downgrade tutorial from the 1st Page again. Thank you

Maybe you're right. I will buy a newer Version from Amazon and take the downgrade tutorial from the 1st Page again. Thank you

Stay away from BU40N and BU50N, it is UHD-official, but not UHD-friendly and according to the dev's trying to convert it, won't work.
[EDIT]Sry my mistake confused "BU40N" model with "BE16NU40" model.
I'm not sure, as far I understood BU40N would work with UHDs with BU40N firmware 1.00 and UHD ripping, which you could downgrade with Teddy's guide, according to post in link below,
https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=18346&start=105#p69975
((Jan 31, 2019 6:42 am)
-
Keep in mind, other statement from link further below, says opposite, so that BU40N 1.00 does NOT work, only with standard Blu-rays:
https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=17091&start=15
(Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:48 pm)
According to this post even BU40N 1.00 firmware doesn't enable UHD ripping, only standard Blu-rays.
--
Maybe there are different BU40N 1.00 firmware revisions out??
E.g. heard s.th. about BW-16D1HT newer 3.02 revisions from 2018 which could be like 3.03 not be UHD-firendly, maybe same with BU40N 1.00.
But 1.00 BU40N 1.00 probably might not help
--
Keep in mind to backup original-firmware first!!
--
You get BU40N 1.00 firmware from here, (included´within "Downgrade Enabled Firmware.zip"):
https://forum.redfox.bz/threads/downgrade-uhd-drives-to-friendly-the-easy-and-safe-way.76551/
=>https://drive.google.com/file/d/1k2h5In3iFM8rnVZlLSXSpJ1koUFPveUD/view?usp=sharin
--
Other poster ealier in the past,said you need BU30N 1.00 firmware for BU40N and UHD ripping. Maybe that works, perhaps not.
--
(According to Teddy BU40N is not compatible to NS50 firmwares, even when they perhaps (probably) would even have same Mediatek chipset)
https://forum.redfox.bz/threads/dum...uhd-friendly-devices.74479/page-3#post-483376
(but a fw-downgrade itself for BU40N to BU40N fw 1.00 should be possible)
--
According to this post in the link (see quote within), BE16NU50 e.g. would be UHD friendly.
(If not already, due to newer firmware, e.g. via fw-downgrade)
https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16832#p58519
--
Don't take Pioneer. I find Pioneer more robust and silent than the new LG ones appear.
But afaik Pioneer does not have that loophole (only UHD-official), cannot be converted, and afaik the EEPROM is write protected on newer Pioneer drives, or at least some kind of signing code which blocks writing modified firmwares.

https://geizhals.de/?cat=dvdram&xf=9514_Blu-Ray-Brenner~9514_Blu-Ray-Combo

https://geizhals.de/lg-electronics-...ar10b-a1347353.html?hloc=at&hloc=de#offerlist

https://geizhals.de/?cat=dvdram&xf=1038_ASUS~9514_Blu-Ray-Brenner

Last edited:
Steps for importing data from backup firmwares : (Automatic Method)

1. Unzip the EEPROM Data Mover attached below.
  2. Open it, select first the dumped original firmware.
  3. Select now a clean firmware to insert data (clean firmwares can be found here).
  4. Type now a firmware name (i.e. TEST.BIN) which will be the one you will eventually need to flash on your drive.

I've just got an Asus BC-12d2ht v3.01. Can I use this automatic method? Just dump my firmware, grab a clean Asus BC-12d2ht 3.0 firmware and then uses an EEPROM to make a new one, then erase and write it back to with the file created with EEPROM? I can't find a clean firmware for my drive in the link provided here, but I found one from a user on this forum. If I send my dumped firmware to @TeddyRaspin is there any advantages? Like a crossflash firmware with better read or write speed? Or will it be just like the automatic method? Anyway, I really appreciate the guidance and tools to make this possible.

I've just got an Asus BC-12d2ht v3.01. Can I use this automatic method? Just dump my firmware, grab a clean Asus BC-12d2ht 3.0 firmware and then uses an EEPROM to make a new one, then erase and write it back to with the file created with EEPROM? I can't find a clean firmware for my drive in the link provided here, but I found one from a user on this forum. If I send my dumped firmware to @TeddyRaspin is there any advantages? Like a crossflash firmware with better read or write speed? Or will it be just like the automatic method? Anyway, I really appreciate the guidance and tools to make this possible.

Hi @JulianB,

Yes, that is exactly what you do. You could also cross-flash your drive by using the ASUS BW16D1HT 3.02 clean firmware and your original 3.01 dump with the EEPROM Data Mover. I believe the BW16D1HT is a little bit faster. TeddyRaspin doesn't do firmware changes for people anymore.

Good luck with it and let us know how you go!

Hi @JulianB,

Yes, that is exactly what you do. You could also cross-flash your drive by using the ASUS BW16D1HT 3.02 clean firmware and your original 3.01 dump with the EEPROM Data Mover. I believe the BW16D1HT is a little bit faster. TeddyRaspin doesn't do firmware changes for people anymore.

Good luck with it and let us know how you go!

Sweet, thank you! I nailed it, so everything is working as it should. Thanks again!

Not gonna lie, I banged my head on the desk a few times, but it eventually worked. Thank you so very much for the explanation and instructions. I'm so very glad people like you exist!!!

Anyone have a trusted source for Windows 7 Live? The one linked in the original post is no longer available. I've found other places purporting to have Windows 7 Live but would prefer downloading from a known, trusted source.

Thanks,
Martin

Anyone have a trusted source for Windows 7 Live? The one linked in the original post is no longer available. I've found other places purporting to have Windows 7 Live but would prefer downloading from a known, trusted source.

Thanks,
Martin

Martin,

I downloaded a win7 live iso and it was terrible. I found a better solution. I simply used AOMEI PE Builder 2.0 to create a Win10PE (32 bit) usb stick, and added the EEPROM Data Mover, Clean firmwares and Dosflash. It works great! I have flashed many drives using it.

AOMEI PE Builder is free to download, just google it.

Martin,

I downloaded a win7 live iso and it was terrible. I found a better solution. I simply used AOMEI PE Builder 2.0 to create a Win10PE (32 bit) usb stick, and added the EEPROM Data Mover, Clean firmwares and Dosflash. It works great! I have flashed many drives using it.

AOMEI PE Builder is free to download, just google it.

Thanks - that was easy...

Martin

Very cool... The firmware downgrade was a breeze thanks to TeddyRaspin's excellent write-up and his DOSFLASH and EEPROM data mover tools, and MartyMcNuts' recommendation to use AOMEI PE Builder 2.0 to create a Win10PE usb stick.

Results:
Summary for drive D: (AnyDVD HD 8.3.4.0, BDPHash.bin 18-12-06)
HL-DT-ST BD-REWH16NS40 1.02
Drive (Hardware) Region: 0 (not set!)
Current profile: BD-ROM
Media is a Blu-ray disc.

Total size: 38978816 sectors (76130 MBytes)
Video Blu-ray label: INTERSTELLAR
Media is AACS protected!
Drive supports bus encryption!
Disc wants bus encryption!
AACS MKB version 61
UHD Blu-ray disc.
Removed AACS copy protection!
Bad sector protection not found.

Thanks!!!
Martin

I finally found the time to downgrade my new LG BH16NS55 that came with 1.03. Using DOSFLASH_LG version, I was able dump the FW, auto-transfer the DV keys via EEPROM Data Mover (though I also performed a separate manual hex edit), then attempted to flash the auto-modified FW but it's now stuck on Writing Bank 24 (the last bank).

I'm assuming it's now hung as all other read/write ops to other banks were mere seconds.

The question now: should I attempt to reflash, either with my hand-edited FW or again with the auto-modified FW?

I did a forced power shutdown because it would not respond to anything, then attempted to refresh using my manually edited version, but now it always gets stuck during the erase portion of writing the FW (even though I already performed an ERASE prior to selecting WRITE). I've tried twice now. This is now becoming disconcerting...

UPDATE:

I switched to the other SATA port on the mobo, then performed a READ op to see if it succeeds (it did), performed an ERASE operation and it succeeded, then finally the WRITE operation.

SUCCESS!

The drive is now able to fully read and access UHD drives. Thanks to all the hard work from those who contributed to make this available to everyone.

Last edited:
I finally found the time to downgrade my new LG BH16NS55 that came with 1.03. Using DOSFLASH_LG version, I was able dump the FW, auto-transfer the DV keys via EEPROM Data Mover (though I also performed a separate manual hex edit), then attempted to flash the auto-modified FW but it's now stuck on Writing Bank 24 (the last bank).

I'm assuming it's now hung as all other read/write ops to other banks were mere seconds.
{...}

I did a forced power shutdown because it would not respond to anything, then attempted to refresh using my manually edited version, but now it always gets stuck during the erase portion of writing the FW (even though I already performed an ERASE prior to selecting WRITE). I've tried twice now. This is now becoming disconcerting...

UPDATE:

I switched to the other SATA port on the mobo, then performed a READ op to see if it succeeds (it did), performed an ERASE operation and it succeeded, then finally the WRITE operation.

SUCCESS!

The drive is now able to fully read and access UHD drives. Thanks to all{...}.

Afaik a mainboard, at least the older intel chipset baords with 6 SATA ports in fact only have three SATA-channels. So between the two SATA-ports by SATA-Pair (SATA port 0+1), (SATA-port 2+3) and (SATA-port 4+5) has to share its channel-bandwidtch.

SATA at IDE-mode as well uses only one device per SATA-port (IDE-Master), so NOT fully like IDE which could take two devices per cable, so NOT like IDE- Master+Slave per cable, but only Master <=only one device per cable
Compared to IDE which takes two
<=1st IDE-port (blue): max two devices: Primary-Master, Primary-Slave)
<=2nd IDE-port (gray): max two devices: Secondary-Master, Secondary-Slave)

When turning SATA to IDE, each SATA-port emulates "only" an IDE-Master, so not Slaves, as SATA only uses one device per cable and port.
Each first SATA port of each SATA.pair... :
SATA-port-nr. 0 of SATA-port-pair 0 + 1
SATA-port-nr. 2 of SATA-port-pair 2 + 3 ;
SATA-port-nr. 4 of SATA-port-pair 4 + 5
...emulate an IDE-Primary-Master (blue IDE port);

The second SATA-port of each SATA-pair... :
SATA-port-nr. 1 of SATA-port-pair 0 + 1)
SATA-port-nr. 3 of SATA-port-pair 2 + 3)
SATA-port-nr. 5 of SATA-port-pair 4 + 5
as well emulates an IDE-Secondary-Master (gray IDE port)

As far I understood Teddy he still recommended using Primary SATA-ports (0 or 2 or 4), so NOT to taking SATA port nr. 1 or 3 or 5), even though all SATA ports simulate a IDE single-device-port (IDE-Master)

I have few Core2 mainboards, on some models as far I can remember, Dosflash_1.7 even detected my BW-16D1HT or BH16NS55 when testing with 2nd SATA-port of a pair (1 or 3 or 5), instead recommended 0 or 2 or 4. I didn't try out further if dumping and writing firmware would work correctly with 2nd port of a SATA channel (SATA 1 / 3 / 5), so I just replugged SATA and just took recommended SATA-"Primary-Master" ports.

But Dosflash_1.7 detected my units on a certain mainboard model even at the 2nd SATA-port of a two-SATA-ports-channel-pair (here like IDE Secondary Master) , it appeared to be detected with that in some occasions, but not always.

Maybe that's the reason why Auggie got issues why Dosflash hung while trying to erase and writing to EEPROM fully, and the replugging to a Primary-Master port helped, (if that was the case at all)

Also it appeared working with several SATA-devices connected at same time, but maybe that could interfere also sometimes, or with UHD unit on a higher SATA-port number than SSD/HDD.

Last edited:
My Maximus VIII formula had 8 thanks to an extra data controller from asmedia. My new one only has 6 (XI formula). They seem to have dropped that extra controller since IX formula

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 7 met Tapatalk

Afaik a mainboard, at least the older intel chipset baords with 6 SATA ports in fact only have three SATA-channels. So between the two SATA-ports by SATA-Pair (SATA port 0+1), (SATA-port 2+3) and (SATA-port 4+5) has to share its channel-bandwidtch...

This seems to make sense: I plugged the optical drive into the closest port I could access and it happened to be SATA 1 of the only two ports on the Asus P4P800-SE mobo. As I detailed, functionality was intermittent; at least on the writing aspect, and certainly failed on some of them. Plugging it into the other port, SATA 0, and all was well.

The original write-up stated that any port could be used, but apparently, that wasn't the case for this particular mobo and those you've alluded to.

Last edited:
Hey guys,

can someone help me?
I bought a BH16NS55 SVC:NS55 Fw1.03, an want to downgrade to 1.02.
I use Windows10 64Bit but i'm sure to be able to create a bootable USB-Stick with the tool on first page of this thread.
But:
I'm not sure where to get a 1.02FW file and what had to be done in addition to flash it.

Can someone please write a few short points what i had to do? (I read already many threads and pages on the web, but couldnt find a page or thread, wich is clearly written with all information in a good overview. There are always things and tools mentioned i couldnt find, etc.)

Thanks a lot!!

@nullnummer,

Use this tool. No need for the DosFlash method or usb sticks etc..

1. Run the patched flasher.
2. Select your drive.
3. Click the folder button to select a firmware to flash.
4. Press the play button to flash the firmware to your drive.
5. Once flash completed, you are good to go.

Good luck..

Back