• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

No CSS, but structurally copy protected DVD+R DL?

dbminter

Can a DVD on a DVD+R DL have no CSS protection but be structurally copy protected?

I ask because I've encountered 3 Fox DVD sets so far of TV series seasons that were released on DVD+R DL's that AnyDVD says are not CSS copy protected, but supposedly have structural copy protection.

I've attached the LogFile of the latest disc I've encountered this on.

The resulting decrypted VIDEO_TS folders appear to be just fine regardless. They loaded in DVDShrink without error and wrote to "1:1" output that appears to play fine in the brief play tests I did in Media Player Classic Home Cinema.

Thanks!

Attachments

• AnyDVD_8.3.3.0_Info_K_AMERICAN_DAD_V13_D1.ziplog
    116.4 KB · Views: 7
Can a DVD on a DVD+R DL have no CSS protection but be structurally copy protected?

I ask because I've encountered 3 Fox DVD sets so far of TV series seasons that were released on DVD+R DL's that AnyDVD says are not CSS copy protected, but supposedly have structural copy protection.

The resulting decrypted VIDEO_TS folders appear to be just fine regardless. They loaded in DVDShrink without error and wrote to "1:1" output that appears to play fine in the brief play tests I did in Media Player Classic Home Cinema.

Thanks!
I have found that with discs that have no copy protection, AnyDVD sometimes sees things that are not there.

Thanks!
Yes, most Fox on-demand discs have a structural / read error protection. DVD+R discs can't have CSS.

Ah, I did not know DVD+R could not have CSS on it. Is that true of DVD-R, too, or specific to DVD+R? Why is that?

I guess Fox puts structural protection on the DVD+R DL because they can't put CSS on them and having something, in their limited vision, is better than having nothing.

I have found that with discs that have no copy protection, AnyDVD sometimes sees things that are not there.

AnyDVD can get confused by what it finds sometimes. I had a disc in a DVD set, the final one, disc 5 of 5. None of the other 4 discs had structural protection on them, but AnyDVD was detecting it on the final disc. This seemed rather odd so I did a little further checking. Turned out the disc was only about 95% readable, so I looked at the data surface. Near the outer edge, there was some kind of discolored spot, meaning the disc was damaged from the factory. Somehow, instead of being returned as unreadable sectors, AnyDVD returned it as structural copy protection.

AnyDVD can get confused by what it finds sometimes. I had a disc in a DVD set, the final one, disc 5 of 5. None of the other 4 discs had structural protection on them, but AnyDVD was detecting it on the final disc. This seemed rather odd so I did a little further checking. Turned out the disc was only about 95% readable, so I looked at the data surface. Near the outer edge, there was some kind of discolored spot, meaning the disc was damaged from the factory. Somehow, instead of being returned as unreadable sectors, AnyDVD returned it as structural copy protection.

Ya - seen that too. Sometimes common sense trumps the status report.

Back