• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Want to mass-convert ripped DVD files to ISO's - possible?

tbessie

Hi all...

So I've ripped my whole DVD collection with AnyDVD and CloneDVD; I ripped them to a copy of the DVD structure (not ISO), as I don't have to mount them that way.

However, I was thinking it would be easier to manage all the files if I kept them as ISOs.

So a couple of questions:

1. Is there a way to mass-convert a bunch of ripped DVDs in multi-file format into ISOs, such that it is an automated "start and forget until done" process? Is this something CloneDVD can do?

2. Having ripped my DVDs with AnyDVD on, they have been modified from the originals. Does playback from a mounted ISO have any effect from where a "layer break" would be, were the ISO on a disc? Or does the fact that it's not on a disc mean layer break is meaningless?

3. Any other concerns with doing what I want, or dealing with ISOs vs DVD files?

- Tim

I just did a bit of Googling (probably should have beforehand) and found this:

http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?/topic/11461-batch-iso-build-with-delete/

So it looks like I can do it with IMGBURN. Not sure how it would handle the layer break when doing this in an automated fashion, since you need to specify it with IMGBURN, even if it's not burning to a disc but just creating an ISO.

Are there other methods you folks have used to do this, in any case?

- Tim

Last edited:
I just did a bit of Googling (probably should have beforehand) and found this:

http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?/topic/11461-batch-iso-build-with-delete/

So it looks like I can do it with IMGBURN. Not sure how it would handle the layer break when doing this in an automated fashion, since you need to specify it with IMGBURN, even if it's not burning to a disc but just creating an ISO.

Are there other methods you folks have used to do this, in any case?

- Tim
You can open multiple instances of CloneDVD to do folder to iso at the same time. CloneDVD creates it's own layer break, but it shouldn't be an issue as it would already have been done when the rip from the physical disc was done.

You can open multiple instances of CloneDVD to do folder to iso at the same time. CloneDVD creates it's own layer break, but it shouldn't be an issue as it would already have been done when the rip from the physical disc was done.

Well, the layer break isn't part of the folder structure, just the ISO structure - how do you mean?

As for multiple instances of CloneDVD - can that be automated? I don't want to manually open up a bunch of instances in Windows; I want to write a script that processes each folder and does the processing automatically without intervention. That is, does CloneDVD have a command-line use?

- Tim

Well, the layer break isn't part of the folder structure, just the ISO structure - how do you mean?

As for multiple instances of CloneDVD - can that be automated? I don't want to manually open up a bunch of instances in Windows; I want to write a script that processes each folder and does the processing automatically without intervention. That is, does CloneDVD have a command-line use?

- Tim
The layer break is where the data has been split on a physical double layer disc. Once CloneDVD rips that, it is now continuous data. If CloneDVD was to write it back to a double layer disc, it would normally have a different layer break than what was on the original disc.

As for command-line, there is one in a thread somewhere. Have to search for it. Here is the thread: https://forum.redfox.bz/threads/command-line-clonedvd2-for-use-with-anydvd.31897/
Never mind, can't be used for iso.

Last edited:
The layer break is where the data has been split on a physical double layer disc. Once CloneDVD rips that, it is now continuous data. If CloneDVD was to write it back to a double layer disc, it would normally have a different layer break than what was on the original disc.

As for command-line, there is one in a thread somewhere. Have to search for it. Here is the thread: https://forum.redfox.bz/threads/command-line-clonedvd2-for-use-with-anydvd.31897/
Never mind, can't be used for iso.

Oh, I know the layer break is gone when ripped to files (as opposed to an ISO); I thought you were saying that the layer break continued to exist in DVD files, which confused me. :)

I found that thread, and saw that it's limited and was mostly just experimental, and development was not continued. A shame, because a fully-functional command-line variant of CloneDVD would be a great and very useful thing for this kind of task. I guess I'll look more into IMGBURN, as it seems to be able to do this (tho' I'm not sure if any manual intervention is required - I'd hope they have some auto settings for it that make that unnecessary).

- Tim

Back