• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

ClownBD replacement?

Jack.Bauer

So I've been using ClownBD forever. I have tried other things... But my requirements have never been able to be satisfied elsewhere. Can someone suggest some ideas? What's important to me:

1) Lossless everything. Respectfully, I don't buy a BR to lose quality when I play it.
2) The ability to strip out everything except movie, audio I choose, and subtitles.
3) Subtitles are a real PITA. Specifically all the what, three ways I think forced subtitles can be employed? So the software has to give me some power over them.

It would be nice if chapters were supported, but not a hard requirement.

I'm fine with purchasing software if it does the above.

Much appreciate any advice you can share...

Euh Clonebd? Can do everything (well except the 3, forced subtitles can be implemented in numerous way, all equally difficult to detect) and is free as long as you don't to anything requiring compression. Which, since that's exactly what you want, is perfect for you and won't cost a penny.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 6P met Tapatalk

Forced subs are hell even in ClownBD, but with work - you can manage it no matter how they were done. Just takes a lot of extra effort sometimes to swap the forced subs in the temp.meta file, build the image, re-run ClownBD, hard force subtitles (forces the first set)... And voila.

Usually.

But it is a major PITA.

My point is I'm already doing a lot of work - if there's a nice way to manage forced subs using CloneBD - even if I have to add in another set of software to help, I'd be ok with it.

When you say "numerous ways"... Can you point me in the right direction? A google search returns a lot, quite a bit of it older...

Forced subs are more important to me than container format :)

well they can be embedded in a normal subtitle track that carries the entire subtitle for the movie, but only certain ones "flagged" as forced, they can be in a seperate track, those are the 2 i know of for sure. @Pete can probably say more.

So I've been using ClownBD forever. I have tried other things... But my requirements have never been able to be satisfied elsewhere. Can someone suggest some ideas? What's important to me:

1) Lossless everything. Respectfully, I don't buy a BR to lose quality when I play it.
2) The ability to strip out everything except movie, audio I choose, and subtitles.
3) Subtitles are a real PITA. Specifically all the what, three ways I think forced subtitles can be employed? So the software has to give me some power over them.

Blu-Ray Ripper was written to use same technology (tsmuxer and eac3to and has added makemkv ability) as ClownBD but much refined to assist with subtitles. In fact, it includes a subtitle editor.

I’ve used it since it was developed and the developer is excellent. See

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-n...-discussion-thread-dunes.html#/topics/2733865

CloneBD definitely has you covered for points 1) and 2).

For 1), you select whether you want to apply compression or not by specifying your Destination Size. If you don't want compression, set it to 50G (for Blu Ray). And request original audio tracks/no down-conversion.

For 2), there's a really easy-to-use interface that let's you pick the Title(s) that you want to include in your output and any audio tracks or subtitles within the Title(s).

Chapters are supported and you can even trim chapters from the front and/or end of a Title if you want.

Download it and take it for spin!

Best way to tell if it's for you.

Especially since it looks like you can do everything you want in the free version...

T

Ok Blu-Ray Ripper really looks VERY promising to at least improve my ClownBD workflow.

I am testing one movie - it has two English subtitle tracks, and was reading the instructions and it says to check "use subtitle editor" and shows it at the bottom of the Blu-Ray ripper screen... Strangely it is NOT showing up for me.

Especially since it looks like you can do everything you want in the free version...

T

I may do so - but if there is no way to manually select a subtitle track to force, while also including other subtitle tracks... In the end I'd have to stick with the manual work I'm doing either with ClownBD or Blu-Ray Ripper.

I may do so - but if there is no way to manually select a subtitle track to force, while also including other subtitle tracks... In the end I'd have to stick with the manual work I'm doing either with ClownBD or Blu-Ray Ripper.

I’m a big fan of CloneBD and use it sometimes. BRR is not a manual process after you understand it. It looks for forced subtitle events and assists you with either having them be their own track or merging them into the main track which is what I do.

Last edited:
Ok Blu-Ray Ripper really looks VERY promising to at least improve my ClownBD workflow.

I am testing one movie - it has two English subtitle tracks, and was reading the instructions and it says to check "use subtitle editor" and shows it at the bottom of the Blu-Ray ripper screen... Strangely it is NOT showing up for me.

The editor shows up between demux and remux steps when you press the Editor button.

Thank you - I found it. Two last questions...

1) What's the real difference between "Auto" and "Semi-Auto"? And indications online suggest "Panic Mode" should be kept enabled?
2) In general if you have a standard subtitle track (no forced subs) and a separate forced sub track - can you pretty much blindly merge them? I ask because the manual dedicates some real time talking about this process and I'm thinking generally it's a simple "merge all" and save?

Ok I guess that is three questions.

I love this program so far thank you sooooo much for recommending it.

Thank you - I found it. Two last questions...

1) What's the real difference between "Auto" and "Semi-Auto"? And indications online suggest "Panic Mode" should be kept enabled?
2) In general if you have a standard subtitle track (no forced subs) and a separate forced sub track - can you pretty much blindly merge them? I ask because the manual dedicates some real time talking about this process and I'm thinking generally it's a simple "merge all" and save?

Ok I guess that is three questions.

I love this program so far thank you sooooo much for recommending it.

It’s been a while since I evaluated those options. I use semi. panic mode is so you can in essence say if there are more than x subtitle tracks to always stop between steps. I’ve think got that set to more than 1 track. I took the instructions and created a more outline based presentation which is easier to understand. I can attach or send via email when I get home.

You’d think merge all and save but many forced tracks will have the timing off on some events by fractions of a second. So you say merge all and when it stops you locate the event in the main track and change its timing to match the forced event and then hit merge all again until all events are merged. Once you’re used to it it’ll take 5 minutes maybe. Other neat thing it does is very small subtitle tracks are marked as possible forced and the events are all marked as forced so you can merge them into the main track. Keep in mind you don’t have to merge. you can leave it as a separate forced track and position it as the first track in the list and also include full track as the second track.

Following is a little old version of release notes restated in outline format.

• Fixed Default Language ---Disable All--- ignoring audio section.

• Added new subtitle track type "Marked". These subtitle tracks are automatically created from "Maybe" subtitle tracks and have all subtitle events marked as Forced

• Added option for Forced Events Only. If Forced Events Only is selected, all subtitle tracks containing both "Normal" and "Forced" events will have the forced events extracted and used for detection method

• Moved and renamed Cinemascope processing option

• Added dropdown list for Subtitle Tracks Allowed which sets the threshold for skipping Subtitle Selection List based on number of subtitle tracks and no tracks containing or maybe containing forced events
  • Added Subtitle tab for Manual, Semi-Automatic, and Automatic subtitle selection.
    • Manual
      • will automatically launch the Subtitle Selection List if at least one subtitle track is selected
  • Semi-Automatic
    • will automatically launch the Subtitle Selection List if
      • subtitle tracks not containing forced events is more than Subtitle Tracks Allowed number

• have more than one subtitle track containing "Forced" events

• one “Maybe” subtitle track is detected.
    • Subtitle Tracks will be placed in following order:
      • subtitle tracks detected containing "Forced" events will be automatically placed in the first subtitle track position

• all other selected tracks will be loaded in selected and arranged order
  • Automatic
    • with Panic Mode
      • will automatically launch the Subtitle Selection List if
        • subtitle tracks not containing forced events is more than Subtitle Tracks Allowed number

• more than one subtitle track has "Forced" events

• two Maybesubtitle tracks are detected

• there is one subtitle track with "Forced" events and one “Maybe” subtitle track detected
      • Subtitle Tracks will be placed in following order:
        • subtitle track detected containing "Forced" events will be automatically placed in the first subtitle track position

• all other selected tracks will be loaded in selected and arranged order
    • without Panic Mode

• will not launch Subtitle Selection List
      • Subtitle tracks containing or maybe containing forced events will be automatically placed in the first subtitle track position in the following order:
      • first track detected with "Normal" and "Forced" events

• first track detected with "Forced" events only

• first track detected with "Marked" forced events

• the rest of the selected subtitle tracks

Last edited:
You know - you're a really good guy.
You ddin't have to provide me all this help.. And yet you did.
And I really appreciate it.

:thankyou:

You know - you're a really good guy.
You ddin't have to provide me all this help.. And yet you did.
And I really appreciate it.

:thankyou:
Like you, been using clownbd forever. Recently bought a couple of Nvidia shield tvs to play my copies. Shield tv will play anything I throw at it. Very impressed. I installed the Kodi app to play the movies. You can also add any number of subtitle add on software to Kodi so it will play any subtitle you want without having it on the movie file.

https://www.firesticktricks.com/kodi-subtitles.html

P.S. Jack, and FYI. The App (Product) is not spelled ClownBD but CloneBD, or were you trying to be funny like a "CLOWN" ?

No it's not wrong. Before clonebd existed, ClownBD was a small software utility created by a forum member here. It was capable of doing movie-only backups to disc and mkv I think.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 6P met Tapatalk

No it's not wrong. Before clonebd existed, ClownBD was a small software utility created by a forum member here. It was capable of doing movie-only backups to disc and mkv I think.

Yes, MKV was an output option.

MKV back to BD structure. From BD extract main movie & audio streams as desired, subs as desired, outputting to m2ts/ts/mkv, an ISO, or burn to disc. HD-DVD to Blu-Ray conversion. Blu-ray to DVD conversion.

Is/was a nice tool. I still use it now and then.

1. Convert the subtitle.sup file to SRT (many free tools or online tools to do this)
2. Launch MKVMerge (MKVToolNix) and add/drag the video, audio , chapters, (converted) sub.srt tracks outputted from ClownBD or other tool into MKVMerge.
3. Highlight the sub.srt track in the list in the bottom left of the app and in the "Track Name" field, type "English", "English Forced" or "English CC" depending on the type of Subtitle, then set the behaviour for the sub track using dropdown menus... so for English Forced, i'd change the "Default Track Flag" to Yes and "Forced Track Flag" to Yes.
4. Repeat this process for each sub track, but by highlighting them one by one in the list in bottom left of the app, but obviously only have one as default and forced (if one is a forced sub).
5. Hit the 'Start Multiplexing' button and let MKVmerge do its thing for a few seconds.

The resulting MKV file will contain the Subtitle tracks with the behaviours you specified. The process takes just a few seconds and works 100% of the time.

you do know this topic has been dead for over 2 years right? That's one hell of a first post to make, resurrecting a 2 year old dead topic :p

Back