• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Dumping & Downgrading firmware on UHD Friendly Devices. (OUTDATED)

[If I have not asked this question before...] What does this accomplish? Does it allow you to burn UHD images? Or, is for general access to UHD discs?

I would try to be as simple as possible

Here is a lot better answer. UHD Blurays and Bluray are the same media as a physical media. There is no differences between UHD Bluray Disks and Normal Bluray Disks. A Bluray Disk (UHD BD or Normal Bluray) can store up to 100 GB of Data. (4 Layers Disk), in a physical structure point of vue. each layers uses 25 GB. there is no fucking difference, between UHD and HD on the physical media.

So yes every Bluray drive burner could technically burn or read an UHD Bluray, even if it has not the UHD specifications. But manufacturers are patching firmware to create a damned marketing fucking virtual difference. the only truth is that there is no difference at all.

So wtf you will say.

The only true difference between an UHD BD and the Normal BD is only the way the data is encoded and encrypted.

UHD BD uses x265 codec (a far more efficient codec than x264 in term of compression) and more Layers on a BD disk (3 to 4 layers) and of course has a better resolution 3 840 × 2 160 and better colors
Normal BD uses x264 codec, less layers (usually 1 to 2) lower resolution 1920x1080 and normal colors

UHD BD are encrypted using AACS V2 (with a lot of multiple keys)
Normal BD are encrypted using AACS V1 (with a few keys)

PS : Even a PS4 could technically read an UHD Bluray Disk, if sony was not lazy to patch their drives, a put a better GPU power to decode X265.

The big drawback of UHD, is that it uses a lot more CPU to decode in real time.

Last edited:
I would try to be as simple as possible

Here is a lot better answer. UHD Blurays and Bluray are the same media as a physical media. There is no differences between UHD Bluray Disks and Normal Bluray Disks. A Bluray Disk (UHD BD or Normal Bluray) can store up to 100 GB of Data. (4 Layers Disk), in a physical structure point of vue. each layers uses 25 GB. there is no fucking difference, between UHD and HD on the physical media.

So yes every Bluray drive burner could technically burn or read an UHD Bluray, even if it has not the UHD specifications. But manufacturers are patching firmware to create a damned marketing fucking virtual difference. the only truth is that there is no difference at all.

So wtf you will say.

The only true difference between an UHD BD and the Normal BD is only the way the data is encoded and encrypted.

UHD BD uses x265 codec (a far more efficient codec than x264 in term of compression) and more Layers on a BD disk (3 to 4 layers) and of course has a better resolution 3 840 × 2 160 and better colors
Normal BD uses x264 codec, less layers (usually 1 to 2) lower resolution 1920x1080 and normal colors

UHD BD are encrypted using AACS V2 (with a lot of multiple keys)
Normal BD are encrypted using AACS V1 (with a few keys)

PS : Even a PS4 could technically read an UHD Bluray Disk, if sony was not lazy to patch their drives, a put a better GPU power to decode X265.

The big drawback of UHD, is that it uses a lot more CPU to decode in real time.
The part of about x265 using more processor power was always clear to me. More compression, means more processing power is needed. I just got a Roku Ultra and it has a quad-core processor.
Q: My existing home theatre Blu-Ray purchased years ago can not play UHD - correct? It does not know about x265 for example. In this realm you need a newer player. This article is about home computing drives?

The part of about x265 using more processor power was always clear to me. More compression, means more processing power is needed. I just got a Roku Ultra and it has a quad-core processor.
Q: My existing home theatre Blu-Ray purchased years ago can not play UHD - correct? It does not know about x265 for example. In this realm you need a newer player. This article is about home computing drives?
Yes indeed, old stuff do not process x265. This article is how to get back working computing drives to read again UHD disks, as they were recently patched by manufacturers, to oblige us to buy new official uhd drives.

Yes indeed, old stuff do not process x265. This article is how to get back working computing drives to read again UHD disks, as they were recently patched by manufacturers, to oblige us to buy new official uhd drives.
So, all this is a ploy to deliberately "damage" drives in order to force folks to fork over more $$??

For some of the experts here, I managed to find and purchase a refurbished LGWH16NS40, Svc Code NS50, rev. 1.00. It works fine for the purposes this thread is discussing. My question is whether there is any known benefit to flashing up to the LG official rev. 1.01 or 1.02 or should I just leave it alone? I realize I absolutely don't want to go past 1.20.

Last edited:
Hi TeddyRaspin,

i hope you are doing well, i have bought an LGBH16NS55 but unfortunately it as the 1.03 firmware
i am not good at all with hex editing stuff , and i saw in your post that you are offering help.

I made a dump of my BH16NS55 firmware using the dos method, and it worked well at SATA 4.
{...}
Th3dud3.

@th3dud3

If you're question still should be there how to mod firmware , don't worry just follow the rest of Teddy's guide.
You don't need to do any hexediting with your model, you can let "EEPROM data mover" do the work, described in Teddy's 1st post here, doing the hexediting:

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Always keep an (un)modified dump (copy) of your original unit's firmware, as a restore-backup, in case flash goes wrong or due to wrong modifying.
If such is the case, and if taken care to have (always) an unmodified backup copy in stock, there'd still be plenty of retry opportunities. :)
At minimum, better a few copies on several storage devices, in case one "breaks apart".
------------------------------------------------------------
To other new people not having made original-unit-firmware-dump + minimum 1 backup copy of it at first, please follow first the original firmware dumping step (strongly recommended - no ifs, no buts): =>Steps for dumping firmware : (DOS Method)

when having completed that like "th3dud3" has, you can procede with step below

https://forum.redfox.bz/threads/dumping-downgrading-firmware-on-uhd-friendly-devices.74479/

"Steps for importing data from backup firmwares : (Automatic Method)"
  1. Unzip the EEPROM Data Mover attached below.
  2. Open it, select first the dumped original firmware.
  3. Select now a clean firmware to insert data (clean firmwares can be found here).
  4. Type now a firmware name (i.e. TEST.BIN) which will be the one you will eventually need to flash on your drive.

Steps for flashing firmware : (DOSFLASH modified method)

1. Follow the same steps written for the dumping method, until you arrive at the DOSFLASH command prompt.
  2. Be sure to have copied the new prepared (TEST.BIN) firmware onto root of your USB stick.
  3. Press the relative number of your detected device under DOSFLASH (1 in my case).
  4. Type "E" (without quotes) to fully erase your drive eeprom and wait for the end of the task.
  5. Now type again DOSFLASH, press the relative number and the "W" letter (without quotes) for writing firmware.
  6. Type the firmware name (TEST.BIN in this example) and wait 1 min or less to the end of the process. (It has to write 32 rom banks starting from 0 to 31).
  7. Eventually you will see the blue light of your device blinking. This is the proof your drive has been initialized again and ready to work.
  8. Reconnect your devices as before, do the same with bios settings for UEFI support and boot your Windows OS.
Now you're ready to see if your work has been properly done and your device working again with UHD discs !!!"

Last edited:
Don't flash or it won't read UHDs anymore
You're saying that if I flash to 1.01 or 1.02 the drive will stop reading UHDs? The previous 26 pages of this thread I read through appeared to indicate that wasn't an issue until 1.03. Did I miss something?

For some of the experts here, I managed to find and purchase a refurbished LGWH16NS40, Svc Code NS50, rev. 1.00. It works fine for the purposes this thread is discussing. My question is whether there is any known benefit to flashing up to the LG official rev. 1.01 or 1.02 or should I just leave it alone? I realize I absolutely don't want to go past 1.20.

Don't flash or it won't read UHDs anymore

You're saying that if I flash to 1.01 or 1.02 the drive will stop reading UHDs? The previous 26 pages of this thread I read through appeared to indicate that wasn't an issue until 1.03. Did I miss something?

There will be probably no benefit, espc. rather disadvantage in case not knowing what doing.

It's described in this thread here rather more for the B/WH16NS55 where 1.02 is the last UHD friendly one.
Afaik I'd (assume only), 1.02 for BH16NS40 (SVC 50) would still be UHD friendly, too. But maybe I'm wrong. Afaik for LG BU30N with 1.02 (external drive), 1.02 is no longer UHD friendly, if 1.02 is the last version.
For BH16NS40 (SVC 50) 1.03 is the last version for now, and probably there the AACS 2 loophole closed since manufacturer ealier had detected it)

If nosy in testing for an improvement, and noone knows for sure nor answers:

In any case, first make a backup dump of your original unit's firmware described in Teddy's post with FreeDOS + Dosflash 1.7 , attched at bottom of his #1 post!!.

When original firmware dump is stored + multiple copies, then just use EEPROM data mover, also attched at bottom of his #1 post, and let EEPROM data mover import the laser calibration data + dv value of your unit's original dump into a B/WBH16NS40 (SVC 50) 1.02 clean firmware.
--------------
Be careful to have always multiple copies of original dump, NOT to be edited at all !!
------------------
Then you can test with an UHD-BD-disc with B/WH16NS40 (SVC 50)1.02 fw, if thar works, to answer the question by yourself.
Though it might take some effort, to quickly find an supported UHD-disc version already known to decryption software, as there might be severals out there of same movie tittle, just for quick test.

If B/WH16NS40 (SVC 50) 1.02 does not work for sure (UHD disc is really supported by AnyDVD or other/ etc) just don't forget to have always enoeugh unmodified spare copies of your original dump, so just modifying 1.01 clean firmware with EEPROM data mover instead, or just flash back your original 1.00 dump which will work again for sure.
---

Be sure to take attention with file naming, so later there's no confusion to avoid any accidently deletion of your original firmware file!!

Example for file naming:
Original firmware dump:
LG_WH16NS40_SVC50_SN_XXXXXXXXXXX_Original_FW_1.00_dumped_Dosflash_1.7.bin
FreeDOS/DOS and Dosflash only allows/displays short filename, so the dump file will probably be by a short file name
(After dumped with Dosflash 1.7+FreeDOS , copy it as soon as possible from USB flash drive to 2ndary HDD/SSDs data parttion or raid array, or another few backup flash drives, labeled not to mess around with etc, rename them accordingly (example see above)

Example for file naming for Modified firmware
(At first a copy of Clean firmware file:
( "flash_HL-DT-ST_BD-RE_BH16NS40_1.02_NS50 - copy .bin" )
renamed to:
LG_WH16NS40_SVC50_SN_XXXXXXXXXXX_Dump-to-Wh16NS40_SVC50-Clean-FW_1.02-modified.bin

Then use EEPROM data mover to actually modify the (renamed copy) of the 1.02 Clean firmware. When finished make copy of this. Then make another copy from this, rename, to eg. "16NS40M.BIN", put this on FreeDOS+Dosflash 1.7 drive to flash it.

When you recognize the newer date of modified (Clean) firmware from e.g. 2018 and newer compared to your dump (eg. days/hours later time), listed with "dir" in FreeDOS, it helps, too.
The (un)edited Clean firmware is from 2017.
(Be sure date and time is and was set to present/current time in BIOS/UEFI-firmware)

Last edited:
theosch, thanks for the reply. I've previously used Teddy's procedures successfully on a drive that had to be "rolled back" for the desired functionality. I used the dosflash method all the way through. I didn't fool with Windows or EEPROM data mover. No issue with not having the knowledge and like I said I've read and understood all 26 pages of this thread; unfortunately, my question wasn't about how to use Teddy's methods to revert the firmware. I apologize for not being clearer with my original question, but it is specifically about me now also having a 1.00 based LGWH16NS40 svc code NS50. I don't personally know what specific fixes/improvements were put into LG's 1.01 and 1.02 updates, so I was hoping there might be someone on here who was knowledgeable about those official firmware updates and whether there were any benefits to be derived from bumping this 1.00 drive up to 1.01 or 1.02. I can't find that information on the LG Support site. Like I said, I'm not looking to use any of Teddy's clean firmware versions nor do any merging of my current "good" 1.00 firmware with anything. Yes, I dumped the original firmware off to file as soon as I got this drive. I'm confident that if something went south during the firmware update using LG's official 1.01 and 1.02 updates, I could revert this drive back to the 1.00 firmware that it came with. Anyway, I'm in no rush; maybe someone will come along on this forum at some point who knows the specifics of what is in 1.01 and 1.02. If not, no biggie. Have a good one.

theosch, thanks for the reply. I've previously used Teddy's procedures successfully on a drive that had to be "rolled back" for the desired functionality. I used the dosflash method all the way through. I didn't fool with Windows or EEPROM data mover. No issue with not having the knowledge and like I said I've read and understood all 26 pages of this thread; unfortunately, my question wasn't about how to use Teddy's methods to revert the firmware. I apologize for not being clearer with my original question, but it is specifically about me now also having a 1.00 based LGWH16NS40 svc code NS50. I don't personally know what specific fixes/improvements were put into LG's 1.01 and 1.02 updates, so I was hoping there might be someone on here who was knowledgeable about those official firmware updates and whether there were any benefits to be derived from bumping this 1.00 drive up to 1.01 or 1.02. I can't find that information on the LG Support site. Like I said, I'm not looking to use any of Teddy's clean firmware versions nor do any merging of my current "good" 1.00 firmware with anything. Yes, I dumped the original firmware off to file as soon as I got this drive. I'm confident that if something went south during the firmware update using LG's official 1.01 and 1.02 updates, I could revert this drive back to the 1.00 firmware that it came with. Anyway, I'm in no rush; maybe someone will come along on this forum at some point who knows the specifics of what is in 1.01 and 1.02. If not, no biggie. Have a good one.

The benefits for 1.02 might be at best, maybe better quality burning, more supported media brands, maybe improved error correction, maybe a bit faster ripping speed at best: Surely s.o. else has tested it before and could answer it.

Sry for too much text. It's my fault actually, as I need to learn to read through a post better. I have reread and reread before and was continously editing my post and had adapted answer a bit better.
If 1.03 is the last version for BH16NS40 (SVC 50) since the last months from 2018/2017 when the manufacturers did some countermessures with "update", then I'd assume the AACS loophole is closed there. So 1.02 should be UHD friendly like the other 1.02-firmware from other BH16NS55 models. Afaik there had been issues with 1.02 on a BH16NS55 with DeUHD, but afaik it was resolved to support 1.02. Afaik a member on RedFox or clubmyice,/somewhere clarified it, it was fixed for 1.02 -fw support in DeUHD. Not entirely sure, or reported by DeUHD support page, something in back mind.
Afaik, the LG BU30N has also a firmware called as 1.02, I think, but not 100% here if that's its latest firmware, well at least on that model, afaik there 1.02 (or 1.01, if that is the last version) is no longer UHD-friendly.

Last edited:
The benefits for 1.02 might be at best, maybe better quality burning, more supported media brands, maybe improved error correction, maybe a bit faster ripping speed at best: Surely s.o. else has tested it before and could answer it.

Sry for too much text. It's my fault actually, as I need to learn to read through a post better. I have reread and reread before and was continously editing my post and had adapted answer a bit better.
If 1.03 is the last version for BH16NS40 (SVC 50) since the last months from 2018/2017 when the manufacturers did some countermessures with "update", then I'd assume the AACS loophole is closed there. So 1.02 should be UHD friendly like the other 1.02-firmware from other BH16NS55 models. Afaik there had been issues with 1.02 on a BH16NS55 with DeUHD, but afaik it was resolved to support 1.02. Afaik a member on RedFox or clubmyice,/somewhere clarified it, it was fixed for 1.02 -fw support in DeUHD. Not entirely sure, or reported by DeUHD support page, something in back mind.
Afaik, the LG BU30N has also a firmware called as 1.02, I think, but not 100% here if that's its latest firmware, well at least on that model, afaik there 1.02 (or 1.01, if that is the last version) is no longer UHD-friendly.

It's all good. Based on the fact that all info prior says that the LG WH16NS40 rev. 1.03 is when things went south with UHD friendliness and the fact that Teddy's clean images go up to rev. 1.02, I think I am good with applying 1.01 or 1.02, even using the official firmware updates since my current drive is running rev. 1.00 official firmware. I definitely know to stay away from 1.03, though. You hit on my real question though which is whether 1.01 or 1.02 will actually give me any improvements/fixes that might be important. That's the unknown. For example, maybe one of these updates improved the drive's ability to deal with BR using more than 2 layers. This is an area where I think my early model (2015) LG WH16NS40, svc code NS50 drive is having some issues. I have a couple of my disks that are problematic with MKV and the only common thread I see is they both use 3 layers of the disk and are close to needing to use a 4th. On the other hand, if there is no discernible benefit, I'll just leave this thing alone since simple firmware updates are like simple surgery...there's always a chance something can go horribly wrong.

Maybe someone really smart on LG firmware revisions will wonder through this forum some day.

If you have regular Disc-layer issues maybe a firmware update to fw 1.01 or 1.02 might really be wise.
But maybe those were just badly manufactured discs, and not a firmware issue. As devs reported BD-XL with 3rd and 4nd layer of course is more sensitive to errors.

Download the UP_cross.rar (Update Utility from LG, + patched. This has the advantage afaik you don't need to reboot and should work with AHCI, whereas FreeDOS+Dosflash 1.7 needs IDE operation.
Attention: I'm not sure, there are also "flash_HL-DT-ST_BD-RE_BH16NS55_1.02.bin" and "flash_ASUS_BW-16D1HT_3.02.bin" inside it.

Those are Clean firmwares (for other LG models and Asus model). I'm not 100% sure, as people with some issues confusing me, if they match to B/WH16NS40 (SVC 50) for crossflashing.
For BH16NS55, it can be crossflashed to Asus BW-16D1HT :)

NS50 compatible Clean firmwares (more NS50 compatible models than in the
UP_CROSS.rar included), the two Clean fw-files in UP_CROSS.rar have identical checksum
as those from forum.cdrinfo.pl

https://forum.cdrinfo.pl/f29/dosflash-v2-0-patched-support-bh16ns40-bh16ns55-drives-96930/
=>http://www99.zippyshare.com/v/k7ZbMprP/file.html

https://forum.redfox.bz/threads/s-firmware-1-02-for-lg-bh16ns55.75322/

Firmware 1.02 for LG BH16NS55
Would like to update FW (currently on v1.01) to increase media compatibility, but LG homepage only has v1.03 which ain't UHD friendly any longer... anyone who still has the original fw utility v1.02 from LG?

ty in advance!

=>https://forum.redfox.bz/threads/s-firmware-1-02-for-lg-bh16ns55.75322/#post-490042

Extract the attachment, completely close AnyDVD HD (or the like). Drive must be emtpy !

1. Execute BH14NS40_N1.00-A4_patched.exe and click on the folder symbol (NOT! the "PLAY" button)
2. Select flash_HL-DT-ST_BD-RE_BH16NS55_1.02.bin (or flash_ASUS_BW-16D1HT_3.02.bin if you want to crossflash to ASUS)
3. Click on the "PLAY" button

https://forum.redfox.bz/threads/s-firmware-1-02-for-lg-bh16ns55.75322/#post-490061
Unfortunately this is only for up/downgrading/crossflashing a drive with already UHD friendly firmware.
For downgrading UHD unfriendly firmware there's still only the dosflash way.

Basically the firmwares can be used, if your ASUS is an UHD friendly NS50 model.

Last edited:
If you have regular Disc-layer issues maybe a firmware update to fw 1.01 or 1.02 might really be wise.
But maybe those were just badly manufactured discs, and not a firmware issue. As devs reported BD-XL with 3rd and 4nd layer of course is more sensitive to errors.

Download the UP_cross.rar (Update Utility from LG, + patched. This has the advantage afaik you don't need to reboot and should work with AHCI, whereas FreeDOS+Dosflash 1.7 needs IDE operation.
Attention: I'm not sure, there are also "flash_HL-DT-ST_BD-RE_BH16NS55_1.02.bin" and "flash_ASUS_BW-16D1HT_3.02.bin" inside it.

Those are Clean firmwares (for other LG models and Asus model). I'm not 100% sure, as people with some issues confusing me, if they match to B/WH16NS40 (SVC 50) for crossflashing.
For BH16NS55, it can be crossflashed to Asus BW-16D1HT :)

NS50 compatible Clean firmwares (more NS50 compatible models than in the
UP_CROSS.rar included), the two Clean fw-files in UP_CROSS.rar have identical checksum
as those from forum.cdrinfo.pl

https://forum.cdrinfo.pl/f29/dosflash-v2-0-patched-support-bh16ns40-bh16ns55-drives-96930/
=>http://www99.zippyshare.com/v/k7ZbMprP/file.html

https://forum.redfox.bz/threads/s-firmware-1-02-for-lg-bh16ns55.75322/

Firmware 1.02 for LG BH16NS55

=>https://forum.redfox.bz/threads/s-firmware-1-02-for-lg-bh16ns55.75322/#post-490042

https://forum.redfox.bz/threads/s-firmware-1-02-for-lg-bh16ns55.75322/#post-490061
Thanks. I'll do some more reading in the forums this weekend here and in other forums to try and find out all I can about 3rd and 4th layer issues. Have a good weekend.

Last edited:
That's the thing that original firmware-backup dumps are for, so that you can do testing fitting firmwares, without worries flash goes wrong etc:cool:

@th3dud3

If you're question still should be there how to mod firmware , don't worry just follow the rest of Teddy's guide.
You don't need to do any hexediting with your model, you can let "EEPROM data mover" do the work, described in Teddy's 1st post here, doing the hexediting:

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Always keep an (un)modified dump (copy) of your original unit's firmware, as a restore-backup, in case flash goes wrong or due to wrong modifying.
If such is the case, and if taken care to have (always) an unmodified backup copy in stock, there'd still be plenty of retry opportunities. :)
At minimum, better a few copies on several storage devices, in case one "breaks apart".
------------------------------------------------------------
To other new people not having made original-unit-firmware-dump + minimum 1 backup copy of it at first, please follow first the original firmware dumping step (strongly recommended - no ifs, no buts): =>Steps for dumping firmware : (DOS Method)

when having completed that like "th3dud3" has, you can procede with step below

https://forum.redfox.bz/threads/dumping-downgrading-firmware-on-uhd-friendly-devices.74479/

"Steps for importing data from backup firmwares : (Automatic Method)"
  1. Unzip the EEPROM Data Mover attached below.
  2. Open it, select first the dumped original firmware.
  3. Select now a clean firmware to insert data (clean firmwares can be found here).
  4. Type now a firmware name (i.e. TEST.BIN) which will be the one you will eventually need to flash on your drive.

Steps for flashing firmware : (DOSFLASH modified method)

1. Follow the same steps written for the dumping method, until you arrive at the DOSFLASH command prompt.
  2. Be sure to have copied the new prepared (TEST.BIN) firmware onto root of your USB stick.
  3. Press the relative number of your detected device under DOSFLASH (1 in my case).
  4. Type "E" (without quotes) to fully erase your drive eeprom and wait for the end of the task.
  5. Now type again DOSFLASH, press the relative number and the "W" letter (without quotes) for writing firmware.
  6. Type the firmware name (TEST.BIN in this example) and wait 1 min or less to the end of the process. (It has to write 32 rom banks starting from 0 to 31).
  7. Eventually you will see the blue light of your device blinking. This is the proof your drive has been initialized again and ready to work.
  8. Reconnect your devices as before, do the same with bios settings for UEFI support and boot your Windows OS.
Now you're ready to see if your work has been properly done and your device working again with UHD discs !!!"

thanks a lot theosch, at least you are doing good interesting answers :) . a lot better than "do it by yourself" :)

I still can't believe these shyster companies are pushing these updates as "improvements"??

you know usa is not anymore a democracy, the capitalism got perverted as there is no more counter powers in this world. Every Patch on whatever you buy, is made to remove something that is was working before. Even Apple company got issues with new version of IOS making old phone slow and buggy.
They were caught by a court for that, so for IOS 12, all phones were faster than IOS11. It was the first time, because they were caught by experts, but next time, they will make next version of there sofware more slow.

All fucking companies, will always say (it is a security update) for our good, but since i am born, no fucking patch was better than one before.

We all live in a world of lies, to make us buy new stuff just by adding slower programing code

So yes UHD and HD bluray drive are exactly the same physically, just the code is different, after the problem is the power to decode one or the other.

this is the only real truth.

[I might have posted this already...] I have a LG WH16NS40 Firmware v1.03. Can this device read/write UHD Blu-Rays?

Back