• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Why has .mkv 10 % smaller size than .ios or m2ts?

SD_J-I_88

Hey i started saving my BDs in M2TS and later as an .iso file, created with cloneBD only main movie with different audio tracks ripped.

When I save them as an .mkv now, without compression i get files that are always smaller and sometimes more than 10 % smaller than the .iso version?

Can someone explain what is the "waste" data in the m2ts files? or can link to an article where this is explained?

Can someone explain what is the "waste" data in the m2ts files? or can link to an article where this is explained?
m2ts has roughly 5% header data (every TS packet, length 192, has at least 8 bytes header). Plus 3 additional and recurring non-video packets every tenth second (PAT, PMT, PCR) and another every second.

MKV has some overhead, too, but only per frame, and then some navigational information like chapters and cues (a "time to position" map).
The latter is entirely missing from an m2ts files, so with MKV you do, indeed, get more for less.

Last edited:
Hey Pete, thx.

And despite all these header stuff is missing in an mkv container in contrast to the m2ts stream, the mkv file is as "robust" as the m2ts file? if there occoures a "rotten bit" ?

Hey Pete, thx.

And despite all these header stuff is missing in an mkv container in contrast to the m2ts stream, the mkv file is as "robust" as the m2ts file? if there occoures a "rotten bit" ?
Yes. M2TS is designed to be a "transport stream" (hence the TS in the name), for broadcasting / recording from TV.

Back