• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

UHD, MKV, VLC and PDVD – Getting ready to play but have MKV issues.

Tanquen

I know there are a lot of new hardware requirements to playback UHD on the PC. I use PowerDVD 2017 and ISOs for all my movies.

My basic and I’m sure not 100% correct understanding is that you need:

Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit with 2015 Nov. updates)

CPU

Intel 7th generation (Kaby Lake) Core i processors and above that support the Intel Software Guard Extensions (Intel SGX) technology.

Graphics Processor

Intel 7th generation (Kaby Lake) Core i processors integrated with Intel HD Graphics 630, Intel Iris™ Graphics 640 or above.

Ultra HD Blu-ray is supported only if a display is powered by Intel Graphics and supports HDCP 2.2. If your computer includes more than one graphics processor, Ultra HD Blu-ray is supported only on the display that is connected and powered by Intel Graphics.

Mainboard
(Motherboard)

A mainboard is required which supports the Intel Software Guard Extensions (Intel SGX) technology.
The Intel SGX feature needs to be enabled in the BIOS* settings, and allocated with 128 MB or above memory space.

To output Ultra HD Blu-ray movies to an external display, the connection port embedded on the mainboard must support HDCP 2.2.
For laptop PCs, please refer to the specification of your laptop to see if the external display connection (HDMI/DisplayPort) supports HDCP 2.2 output.

Display

[Display Device] (Required)
Display device with HDMI 2.0a/DisplayPort 1.3 or above connection interface, and must support HDCP 2.2.

[Display Cable] (Required)
HDMI 2.0a/DisplayPort 1.3 or above version cable without applying any adapters/splitters/repeaters.

[Screen Resolution] (Optional)
Ultra HD resolution (3840 x 2160) or above recommended.

[High Dynamic Range (HDR)] (Optional)
To enable the High Dynamic Range (HDR) of Ultra HD Blu-ray movie, the display device must support the HDR display feature and 10-bit color depth display capability with a HDMI 2.0a/DisplayPort 1.4 connection interface.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

And all that above being said AnyDVD will not bypass any of it and nothing can pass Dolby Vison or HDR? I thought the HDR would be much like various HD Audio streams and just passed along to the HDR compliant TV?

I got an UHD friendly ASUS BW-16D1HT and downgrade the firmware to 3.02 but have not tried a UHD disc yet.

The biggest issue for me right now is that I read you need to use an MKV file to get passed the new hardware requirements and its not working so well for me with a few test HD Blurays and CloneBD. VLC gets a garbled screen and will not play the HD Blurays MKV file. PowerDVD 2017 will play the MKV file but the audio gets out of sync repeatedly and there is some shuddering or little pauses also when changing audio tracks it gets stuck and won’t play the HD audio track unless you swap to other tracks a few times and the show info to see the audio and video info don’t work. The last one is not that bad but helps find the HD audio track. The same movies in an ISO have none of the issues in PowerDVD.

Is PowerDVD 2018 better at MKVs? Do you really need to get an NVIDIA Shield or something? I’ve always liked using my PC for everything and having it hooked up to the TV to watch Blurays and such. Why do you need another device? What is the setup like?

My system:

I7-3930k

64GB RAM

AMD Vega 64

Clean install of Windows 10 all updates

PowerDVD 2017 17.0.1801.60

CloneBD 1.2.3.0

VLC 3.0.4

Last edited:
No one has any KVM/PowerDVD experience? :(

Use CloneBD to create mkvs (free, if you like), play them, be happy.

Use CloneBD to create mkvs (free, if you like), play them, be happy.

James, he mentioned he's already tried this and is having trouble playing the resultant .mkv file, even in PDVD 17.

I had audio sync problems with CloneBD-created .mkv files of UHD titles back in the early days, but CloneBD has since fixed the bug.

I remember testing when the fix came out (maybe 6 months ago?) and having good results but have not made any UHD .mkv's since.

So afaik the audio sync issue was resolved...

T

I had a few questions but I’m guess all my suspicions are right as no one said otherwise. So now it just the playback issues. Just wondering if PDVD is the way to go and why some say you need the NVIDIA Shield to pass everything correctly to a TV?

The audio sync seems to grow over time and or be a bit random. I can pause or click the time line to get it back in sync or so it seems. Once you hear it way off its hard to not see it being a little off. But ISO files don’t have any of the issues. ??? IS PDVD 8 better at KVMs?

... And all that above being said AnyDVD will not bypass any of it

No, the requirements stand for playing UHD discs or .iso's regardless of AnyDVD use.

... and nothing can pass Dolby Vison or HDR?

I don't know about Dolby Vision but PDVD passes on HDR just fine.

... the show info to see the audio and video info don’t work.

Yes, the "Show Information" option is disabled when playing .mkv's in PDVD 17.

I find that annoying too but I guess Cyberlink has their reasons.

Is PowerDVD 2018 better at MKVs?

Hopefully someone who has played UHD .mkv's on PDVD 18 can answer that for you...

Do you really need to get an NVIDIA Shield or something?

Maybe to play UHD .iso's if you don't meet the PDVD requirements. But PDVD should be all you need to play .mkv's.

The audio sync seems to grow over time and or be a bit random. I can pause or click the time line to get it back in sync or so it seems. Once you hear it way off its hard to not see it being a little off.

It's hard to know if the cause of this is the way the .mkv's were created, insufficient resources on the playing computer, or an issue with PDVD 17.

...But ISO files don’t have any of the issues.

How are you able to play the UHD .iso's without Intel Graphics?

I’ve always liked using my PC for everything and having it hooked up to the TV to watch Blurays and such. Why do you need another device?

So do I and you shouldn't.

Many prefer Shield as far as UHD goes to avoid the headache of all the PC requirements to play them.

And perhaps Shield can handle DolbyVision and software media players can't. Of that I'm not sure.

T

How are you able to play the UHD .iso's without Intel Graphics?

T

I’m just testing with an HD Bluray to see what it would be like. So it should not be a horsepower thing. I don’t know why PDVD 2017 is so poopy at MKS when the ISO works so much better.

Motherboard: ASUS X79 DELUXE, Intel 3930k 4.2GHz - G.SKILL 64GB (8 x 8GB) DDR3 1600
Video Card: Vega 64.
System Drive: Samsung 1.8TB 970 Evo Series SSD
Data Drive: Hitachi 3.6TB
Power Supply: Corsair AX1500i Digital ATX
LG Blu-ray/HD DVD-ROM GGC-H20L
2 Dell 30" U3011 on Ergotron HD Dual-Monitor Arm

Some pics, you have to copy and paste the link below. :)
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1038475873#post1038475873

A 1500w PSU and that's all the hardware it's powering? Major overkill lol. Check my hardware (see signature) and I'm only using an 850 and still have room to spare.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 6P met Tapatalk

I’m just testing with an HD Bluray to see what it would be like. So it should not be a horsepower thing. I don’t know why PDVD 2017 is so poopy at MKS when the ISO works so much better.

Motherboard: ASUS X79 DELUXE, Intel 3930k 4.2GHz - G.SKILL 64GB (8 x 8GB) DDR3 1600
Video Card: Vega 64.
System Drive: Samsung 1.8TB 970 Evo Series SSD
Data Drive: Hitachi 3.6TB
Power Supply: Corsair AX1500i Digital ATX
LG Blu-ray/HD DVD-ROM GGC-H20L
2 Dell 30" U3011 on Ergotron HD Dual-Monitor Arm

Some pics, you have to copy and paste the link below. :)
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1038475873#post1038475873

You can't really predict how a UHD .iso will play by playing a Blu-Ray one. Different animals altogether...

... wait, are you getting .mkv sync issues with .mkv's created from regular Blu-Rays?

That definitely shouldn't happen - PDVD handles HD .mkv's really well....

(BTW, nice workspace!)

T

A 1500w PSU and that's all the hardware it's powering? Major overkill lol. Check my hardware (see signature) and I'm only using an 850 and still have room to spare.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 6P met Tapatalk

Well, it does have a big water pump three rads and 12 fans. I have more 3.5 drives and did have crossfire videos cards. Also, I was tired of all the your system is unstable because you only have such and such power supply and are overclocking and have 2 video cards and on and on. I fixed the pics so you can see in the workstation now. :)

You can't really predict how a UHD .iso will play by playing a Blu-Ray one. Different animals altogether...

... wait, are you getting .mkv sync issues with .mkv's created from regular Blu-Rays?

That definitely shouldn't happen - PDVD handles HD .mkv's really well....

(BTW, nice workspace!)

T

Not for me. PowerDVD 2017 will play the MKV file but the audio gets out of sync repeatedly and there is some shuddering or little pauses also when changing audio tracks it gets stuck and won’t play the HD audio track unless you swap to other tracks a few times and the show info to see the audio and video info don’t work.

I fixed that post with the two dead pics and thanks. I've put tons of time into it.

Last edited:
P.S. I just got a UHD movie to test with.

Not for me. PowerDVD 2017 will play the MKV file but the audio gets out of sync repeatedly and there is some shuddering or little pauses also when changing audio tracks it gets stuck and won’t play the HD audio track unless you swap to other tracks a few times and the show info to see the audio and video info don’t work.

Yeah, there's a real problem there then. All this time I thought you were talking about trouble playing UHD .mkv's.

Now, you have me curious. I'm going to play the few .mkv's that I have all the way through and see if I observe any of these issues.

All mine are UHD but I'll probably make an HD one as well for a complete test.

I fixed that post with the two dead pic and thanks. I've put tons of time into it.

And it shows.

If I had such a workspace I would probably never leave home. (lol)

P.S. I just got a UHD movie to test with.

Oh, fantastic.

Let me know how it goes.

Wouldn't it be ironic if your set-up plays the UHD .mkv's flawlessly and only stumbles on the HD ones.

Unlikely but it would be a hoot. :=)

T

:(

Man…

So…..

The practice HD Bluray is the Matrix and the UHD Bluray is DeadPool2, the only one I felt remotely like seeing that was at Target.

The Matrix MKV is 19GB and VCONE(?) and has audio sync and small video shuddering issues in PDVD17. It will not play in VLC and the Windows 10 Movies & TV player shows a missing codec error, audio only.

The DeadPool2 MKV (My drive worked!) is 49GB (I have series HD rips that are that big, not sure about this UHD thing.) and is HEVC. It also has the same audio issues, video shuddering issues and the image is washed out in PDVD17. It will not play in VLC but the Windows 10 Movies & TV player plays it much better. It don’t look washed out and the audio is in sync. ???

I may try the 30day PDVD18 and see if it works better. Windows 10 Movies & TV would be fine but for the codec issue on some movies and it also leaves a light grey header and footer. I don’t really need any of the PDVD extras I just want to be able to use subtitles and pass HD audio. For HD Bluray ISOs PDVD has been good. But there seems to be a lot of little and big issues with MKVs. I also don't like how it hides the move name and just labels all the MKVs as "Main feature"

Maybe I’m not making the MKV right or playing it back right in PDVD? But then the Windows 10 Movies & TV player seems to work???

Well, it does have a big water pump three rads and 12 fans. I have more 3.5 drives and did have crossfire videos cards. Also, I was tired of all the your system is unstable because you only have such and such power supply and are overclocking and have 2 video cards and on and on. I fixed the pics so you can see in the workstation now. :)

mine's got 1 SSD, 4 HDDs, 3 ODD, 6 RGB fans, 4 RGB LED strips, 1 RGB headphone stand, 1 RGB keyboard & mouse (& mousemat), 1 corsair commander & lighting node pro. Powered just fine with 850. Curious what your PSU efficiency is. Mine is between 85 & 100% :p

mine's got 1 SSD, 4 HDDs, 3 ODD, 6 RGB fans, 4 RGB LED strips, 1 RGB headphone stand, 1 RGB keyboard & mouse (& mousemat), 1 corsair commander & lighting node pro. Powered just fine with 850. Curious what your PSU efficiency is. Mine is between 85 & 100% :p

That was the other reasoning as it was like the (on paper anyway) most efficient you could get at the time, something like a 94% efficiency rating. :) I don't think any are 100%.

Last edited:
The DeadPool2 MKV (My drive worked!) is 49GB (I have series HD rips that are that big, not sure about this UHD thing.)

Congratulations on success with your drive!

Yeah, I've noticed too that a handful of UHDs are under 50G.

Kind of sucks because I have a system of programs that inventory my computer music and movie media and play them. I haven't as yet added UHD into the mix, but was planning on using the "50G or over" test to differentiate them from normal Blu-Ray. Since that doesn't always work, not sure what the test will be now (save checking for "UHD" in the title, but that is not 100% reliable either).

...It also has the same audio issues, video shuddering issues and the image is washed out in PDVD17.

Sorry to hear that. Haven't had time to check mine yet but will try to get to it this weekend.

The image is probably washed out because your TV/monitor hook-up is not UHD/HDR-compliant. That could be anything from the wrong HDMI cable, to using the wrong HDMI port on the TV/monitor to the TV/monitor not being able to display UHD-enhanced colors or HDR at all.

Windows 10 Movies & TV player plays it much better. It don’t look washed out and the audio is in sync.

Maybe downconverts it to standard 1080p ????? Just spit-balling here...

I may try the 30day PDVD18 and see if it works better.

Good idea.

I also don't like how it hides the move name and just labels all the MKVs as "Main feature"

Yeah. I noticed that. That's weird, innit?

T

That was the other reasoning as it was like the (on paper anyway) most efficient you could get at the time, something like a 94% efficiency rating. :) I don't think any are 100%.

yeah but only if u draw enough power from it to REACH that efficiency. anyway back on topic

yeah but only if u draw enough power from it to REACH that efficiency. anyway back on topic

So now I had to check and it says its 90-94% efficiency from 10-100% draw, 94% efficiency at 50% draw. My calcs with the original setup were over 1100W. It had some kind of USB connection and I saw even more when I OC the video cards and all 6 cpu cores and... but anyway.

Congratulations on success with your drive!

Yeah, I've noticed too that a handful of UHDs are under 50G.

Kind of sucks because I have a system of programs that inventory my computer music and movie media and play them. I haven't as yet added UHD into the mix, but was planning on using the "50G or over" test to differentiate them from normal Blu-Ray. Since that doesn't always work, not sure what the test will be now (save checking for "UHD" in the title, but that is not 100% reliable either).

Sorry to hear that. Haven't had time to check mine yet but will try to get to it this weekend.

The image is probably washed out because your TV/monitor hook-up is not UHD/HDR-compliant. That could be anything from the wrong HDMI cable, to using the wrong HDMI port on the TV/monitor to the TV/monitor not being able to display UHD-enhanced colors or HDR at all.

Maybe downconverts it to standard 1080p ????? Just spit-balling here...

Good idea.

Yeah. I noticed that. That's weird, innit?

T

The PDVD18 demo won’t let me run the UHD MKV. I'd be shocked if the fixed anything from 2017 anyway. Google shows and number of MKV issues over the years.

I just spent an hour looking at all the hardware nonsense to just play the ISOs and after all the upgrades I’d not be sure it would play them any better.

I can’t even get the CPU and motherboard I want because you need to get an Intel CPU with iGPU HD630 or greater. What a bummer.

I guess I can look into an NVIDIA Shield or something? :(

Back