• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Possible to make Anydvd ripper faster?

linx05

So, use the AnyDVD ripper (or the output from CloneDVD).
DVDShrink is actually the reason, why the ripper was created in the first place.
Will you ever consider making the ripper faster? On my Lite-On (LITE-ON DVDRW LH-18A1H HL09) it speeds up and slows down a lot while other rippers do not have this problem. I would love to always use the ripper but this problem is always annoying.

:bowdown:

p.s. perhaps this should be in a thread of its own?

@ linx05,

The Ripping Speed of your Lite-On DVDRW LH-18A1H HL09 is not AnyDVD software dependant but is a function of your Drive mechanical capability and Drive Firmware limitations.

There is CodeGuys OmniPatcher Lite-On Optical Drive utility software program that can patch Lite-On Firmwares to remove the Drive RipLock ->

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=97590

Regards,
Coaster

Coaster, as I said this does not appear to be a problem for other rippers.

Can you reproduce this problem you're experiencing with Anydvd ripper with all discs--or just certain ones? If the issue is not occurring with all discs, which ones are causing the problem?

Last edited:
If you rip with other programs with AnyDVD active does the problem occur? Or is it ONLY when using the AnyDVD Ripper? How about when using CloneDVD2 to rip?

By the way, I think this thread was prompted by what DrinkLyeandDie wrote about ripping Delta Farce:

from http://forum.slysoft.com/showpost.php?p=49092&postcount=16

DrinkLyeandDie said:
"The AnyDVD ripper included in AnyDVD 6.1.7.1 beta ripped Delta Farce fine but around 51% it slowed to a crawl until 79% when the rip sped up like a bandit again. When ripping with CloneDVD2 the rip slowed down in the 50% range and sped up again around 80%. I believe this has to do with the Arccos protection and the removal of it."

Webslinger said:
"That could also be explained by a slightly warped disc or a slightly bad area on the disc. While nero cd-dvd speed may not report read errors on your disc, your copy of the disc may be slightly defective in some manner (so the drive needs to slow down to read those areas). For example, I have a disc that is scratched. Although Nero cd-dvd speed doesn't report read errors, my optical drive does slow down when it's reading the scratched area of the disc. The disc is readable, but the drive does have to slow down to read it."

But if this issue is happening with all discs, maybe further investigation is warranted. I'm not sure.

Can you reproduce this problem you're experiencing with Anydvd ripper with all discs--or just certain ones? If the issue is not occurring with all discs, which ones are causing the problem?
Tremors 4 R1 is the one which got me to make this post.

Summary for drive D: (AnyDVD 6.1.7.1)
LITE-ON DVDRW LH-18A1H HL09 2007/06/21 09:58
Drive (Hardware) Region: 4

Media is a DVD.
Booktype: dvd-rom (version 1), Layers: 2 (opposite)
Size of first Layer: 2057184 sectors (4017 MBytes)
Total size: 4096643 sectors (8001 MBytes)

Video DVD (or CD) label: TREMORS_4
Media is CSS protected!
Video Standard: NTSC
Media is locked to region(s): 1!

RCE protection not found.
DVD structure appears to be correct.
Found & removed invalid VOBUs!
Autorun not found on Video DVD.
Bad sector protection not found.
Emulating RPC-2 drive with region 1!

If you rip with other programs with AnyDVD active does the problem occur? Or is it ONLY when using the AnyDVD Ripper? How about when using CloneDVD2 to rip?
If I rip with other programs I never have AnyDVD active. Unless it is DVD Decrypter. With DVDFab it rips fast in around 12 mins. The same with DVD Decrypter (with AnyDVD in the background) completes it in about 12mins. The AnyDVD Ripper slows down the drive, then speeds up. You can see the percentage stop from its usual ticking by pace to barely moving at all before the drive speeds up again. I cannot remember how long it took but it was a lot longer than 12minutes. None of the other rippers are like this.

I just tried CloneDVD2 (2.9.1.2) for the first time: 13:28. Not bad! First time I have ever tried CloneDVD2 aswell! Go me!

Messing around with the drive speed feature in AnyDVD does not help at all I have found.

By the way, I think this thread was prompted by what DrinkLyeandDie wrote about ripping Delta Farce:

from http://forum.slysoft.com/showpost.php?p=49092&postcount=16

But if this issue is happening with all discs, maybe further investigation is warranted. I'm not sure.
It was actually prompted by me getting annoyed (I spared the language ;)) at the ripper for performing too slow.

If I remember correctly, James said the ripper employed just a simple copy/paste sort of function. The same as if you were to copy the files across with Explorer. These other rippers use some sort of procedure which speeds the copying up. Which is why I think the ripper is like this.

No harm nor foul against James and his ripper. Still loving it and I will always use it.

Last edited:
If I remember correctly, James said the ripper employed just a simple copy/paste sort of function. The same as if you were to copy the files across with Explorer.

I'm not so sure about that. Anydvd ripper uses Clonedvd's code now.

Perhaps the issue is related to protection. It seems to me it would take longer to rip a heavily protected disc than one that just contained CSS, for example.

As far as I know it was only the clean up code.

That would not explain why one would be faster in CloneDVD2 than in the ripper if it uses the same code.

That would not explain why one would be faster in CloneDVD2 than in the ripper if it uses the same code.

Does Clonedvd2 rip faster for you? I thought they would be the same.

Yes. Nearly as fast as DVDFab and DVD Decrypter. Roughly a minute slower give or take.

Yes. Nearly as fast as DVDFab and DVD Decrypter. Roughly a minute slower give or take.

O.k., then I'm not sure what the issue is.

Your question is one probably best answered by James.

CloneDVD2 uses more sophisticated I/O methods (asynchronous unbuffered I/O with internal double buffering). AnyDVD ripper (for DVDs, not HD / Blu-ray) uses simple file I/O.
Remember: AnyDVD ripper is designed as a solution for Shrink / Recode users unwilling to buy CloneDVD2. If you want "the best(tm)", use CloneDVD2. :D

"The best" is in your opinion. I have no need for CloneDVD2 in any way. I find it weird that you would leave something open like that so if a user wants it improved, he/she has to go buy another product.

Slysoft is a great company but this sort of thing annoys me. You've done it before and you will probably keep doing it. You are one of the few companies I know which employ this tactic.

I'll use my work arounds thank you very much.

Last edited:
"The best" is in your opinion. I have no need for CloneDVD2 in any way. I find it weird that you would leave something open like that so if a user wants it improved, he/she has to go buy another product.
Nothing is "open", AnyDVD ripper works just fine, doesn't it?

Slysoft is a great company but this sort of thing annoys me. You've done it before and you will probably keep doing it. You are one of the few companies I know which employ this tactic.
You're unfair. AnyDVD ripper has been added so people do *not* have to buy CloneDVD. "Employing this tactic" would mean to intentionally cripple it / not adding it in the first place / removing it.

I'll use my work arounds thank you very much.
Do whatever makes you happy.

Nothing is "open", AnyDVD ripper works just fine, doesn't it?
In a way which lets you open up the DVD in DVD Shrink ... years+ later. I only reported this to see if it were a bug or a feature not fully implemented.

You're unfair. AnyDVD ripper has been added so people do *not* have to buy CloneDVD. "Employing this tactic" would mean to intentionally cripple it / not adding it in the first place / removing it.
You didn't add the ripper for a while (the updated one which works). The stance was to buy CloneDVD2. It stayed like that for a while, until you gave in.

Do whatever makes you happy.
I will thank you. But if you add it, it would make some very happy customers. It might improve later when copy-protections speed it down even more!

Last edited:
It stayed like that for a while, until you gave in.

I think he had to work out difficult licensing arrangements with Elaborate Bytes. Otherwise, I'm sure it would have been implemented sooner. But this isn't something I'm interested in having an argument about.

I can understand wanting Anydvd ripper to rip as fast as Clonedvd; I'm not sure whether Elaborate Bytes will.

I think he had to work out difficult licensing arrangements with Elaborate Bytes. Otherwise, I'm sure it would have been implemented sooner. But this isn't something I'm interested in having an argument about.

I can understand wanting Anydvd ripper to rip as fast as Clonedvd; I'm not sure whether Elaborate Bytes will.
The I/O code isn't part of the libdvd.lib we have licensed, so reading / writing is completely different to what CloneDVD does.
And about implementing it "sooner": First I have made a ripper based on FixVTS to please the Shrink users. Then FixVTS changed the licensing to GPL, so it couldn't be updated. After some back and forth, all the work went to the trashcan and I started all over again - to please Shrink users. What do people expect? That I snip with my fingers and a complete new copy application is finished?
"Good things will come to those who wait". Like the new "all-singing-all-dancing AI Scanner(tm)". :D

The I/O code isn't part of the libdvd.lib we have licensed, so reading / writing is completely different to what CloneDVD does.

Oh, I had no idea. I was wondering why there were these differences lately between the Clonedvd rips and Anydvd rips.

"Good things will come to those who wait". Like the new "all-singing-all-dancing AI Scanner(tm)". :D

Sounds very very very impressive! :)

Now snap your fingers and make Game Jackal Vista 64 code! ;)
/ducks and runs away

Last edited:
In a perfect world, everything would be free and or work just the way we all want it too.
Not looking for a fight here, but it is my guess that none of us here would put much effort into something that would LOSE revenue.
I can work anywhere for free, or even better yet, why don't I just pay someone to let me work.
Nearly every business on the planet tries to make their product proprietary to some extent.
I would love to see the ripper improved and do not blame anyone for asking Slysoft for the improvements they would like to see implemented, but it is up to Slysoft when they decide they have the time or inclination to implement requested improvements, don't you think?
As far as AnyDVD supporting other products, why is it we are not asking the Suppliers of the other products to re-code to support AnyDVD?
I am like a lot of people here, I used Slysoft products for a while without paying for it and decided after a short time that they sold a product that was worth paying for so I bought it.
CloneDVD2 and AnyDVD do 99% of what I need and for the other 1% I will use something else if it works.
Well enough of my rant.
I apologize if I offend anyone, but this is just my personal take on this matter.

Back