• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Keep Copy Protection Explaination?

blacklash

What I originally though as keeping the discs original encryption turns out not to be the case from a thread made long ago that I've read by someone else. Anyone know what it does exactly and can elaborate on it? Much appreciated.

What I originally though as keeping the discs original encryption turns out not to be the case from a thread made long ago that I've read by someone else. Anyone know what it does exactly and can elaborate on it? Much appreciated.
As you are posting under "DVD issues": This option has no effect on video DVDs.

It does exactly what the setting says it does. It keeps any and all protections (AACS, screenpass, ...) intact while ripping. The decryption engine is bypassed entirely but that one does only affect Blu-ray, not DVD's like you're posting in the DVD section

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 6P met Tapatalk

It does exactly what the setting says it does. It keeps any and all protections (AACS, screenpass, ...) intact while ripping.
AACS bus encryption on (UHD) Blu-ray discs will still be removed, otherwise the image would be useless.

It does exactly what the setting says it does. It keeps any and all protections (AACS, screenpass, ...) intact while ripping. The decryption engine is bypassed entirely but that one does only affect Blu-ray, not DVD's like you're posting in the DVD section

I found a post a while back. It said it doesn't keep the protection, so I was confused why there would be an option that says what it should do, but didn't: https://forum.redfox.bz/threads/keep-protection-for-dvds.73760/

Anyways, lets say the modern version of RedFox does do what it says now, are you saying it keeps all the protections for BD, but not DVD? I'm having a little trouble understanding your last sentence. Could you please reword it differently? Much appreciated.

AACS bus encryption on (UHD) Blu-ray discs will still be removed, otherwise the image would be useless.
But technically, wouldn't it still be possible to completely leave the BDISO untouched with all protections intact (including AACS bus encryption) and mount it to Virtual CloneDrive with AnyDVD at a later time if we want to remove protection?

Last edited:
Dvd's have to be decrypted, if you want to rip them. There's no way around that.

Anyways, lets say the modern version of RedFox does do what it says now, are you saying it keeps all the protections for BD, but not DVD? I'm having a little trouble understanding your last sentence. Could you please reword it differently? Much appreciated.

Hi blacklash.

I'm assuming you're talking about the AnyDVD Ripper (to iso) option of "Keep Protection"?

If so, it has no effect on DVDs, which is why it's listed as "Keep Protection (Blu Ray/HD/DVD)".

Apparently, it's mandatory to remove protection when you create a DVD .iso.

It's unclear why you want to create an unprotected DVD .iso...

For me, there's 2 reasons I normally create unprotected Blu Ray .iso's.

1) So that if Screen Pass issues have not been resolved for this disc, there's no need to make a new .iso.

Unprotected .iso's would retain the Screen Pass issue and would have to be replaced when the issue is resolved.

But protected Blu Ray .iso's decrypt every time they're played, so will pick up the Screen Pass fixes as soon as available.

2) To keep my options open in terms of "Removing annoying adverts and trailers, "Removing video sequences shorter than", "Disabling BD-Live", and even creating SpeedMenus.

Unprotected .iso's have these settings locked in.

Since, protected Blu Ray .iso's are decrypted on the fly, these settings can be changed "on the fly", remastering the disc so-to-speak.

By the way, creating .iso's for DVD's is very much frowned up on the Forum.

But if you are in a situation where you are so inclined for some reason, you really can't create an unprotected DVD .iso that decrypts on the fly.

Because of that reason 1) doesn't apply to DVD.

But if you want to have DVD Settings still available to you like "Remove annoying clips from Menus", "Remove annoying intro and outro clips" and "Remove titles shorter than" as in reason 2), then create the .iso with all these options unchecked.

When you play the DVD .iso you can check or uncheck them to "remaster on the fly".

From tests I ran, if the .iso is created with these options checked, playing the .iso and manipulating them then seems to make no difference.

There's one exception:

For "Removing Titles Shorter Than". if you create the .iso with this set at, say, 30 seconds, playing the .iso and unchecking it will not magically yield titles that are shorter than 30 seconds...

... But putting the setting to , say, 1 minute, does remove titles on the .iso between 30 seconds and 1 minute.

So, in short, if what you're trying to do is leave your "remastering" options open on the DVD .iso, you can do that if it's created properly.

Good to know.

But technically, wouldn't it still be possible to completely leave the BDISO untouched with all protections intact (including AACS bus encryption) and mount it to Virtual CloneDrive with AnyDVD at a later time if we want to remove protection?

Likely, since UHD validation is done differently than Blu Ray, this is probably a no for bus encryption.

T

Last edited:
No. An iso created with bus encryption not removed cannot be decrypted. This is the point of bus encryption.

Likely, since UHD validation is done differently than Blu Ray, this is probably a no for bus encryption.
Bus encryption works very similar on SD & UHD Blu-ray discs, but on UHD discs & drives it is mandatory.

By the way, creating .iso's for DVD's is very much frowned up on the Forum.
That is not quite correct either. Creating an iso on a DVD using AnyDVD is not recommended for previously mentioned reasons. To make a DVD iso, using CloneDVD is the recommended way.

That is not quite correct either. Creating an iso on a DVD using AnyDVD is not recommended for previously mentioned reasons. To make a DVD iso, using CloneDVD is the recommended way.

You're absolutely right mmdavis.

I should have said "using the AnyDVD ripper" to be clearer.

Thanks for the correction.

T

Back