• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Why must I set the drive region code (at least for some disks)?

tbessie

Hi all...

I've been using AnyDVD for many MANY years. Today I saw, for the first time, the message about how it could not decode some CSS, and that I should set the drive region code and try again.

I've never had to set the drive region code on this computer before (it has been unset since I built the computer). The only thing that has changed has been that I updated to the latest version of AnyDVD (8.3.0.0).

I DID just set the drive region code, and AnyDVD stopped displaying that warning.

So my question is - why did/does AnyDVD need me to set the drive region code? What effect does that have, since AnyDVD mimics a drive region code to Windows? And why would it suddenly ask this for the first time, now?

- Tim

Simple, with an unset drive hardware region, anydvd needs to brute Force crack every CSS key on every title in the disc for every region ( also imported discs if you use those). Causing slower decryption, and often fails (eventually).

When the region is properly set, anydvd can authenticate correctly with the drive and it doesn't need to bruteforce crack the CSS for discs where the region matches the drive (will still have to for imports).

With an unset region it's not a matter if that warning will pop up, but when. Sooner or later every one gets it if they have an unset drive region

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 6P met Tapatalk

So my question is - why did/does AnyDVD need me to set the drive region code? What effect does that have, since AnyDVD mimics a drive region code to Windows? And why would it suddenly ask this for the first time, now?
Because AnyDVD ran out of guesses and you stumped it.
When people are too lazy to set their region code, AnyDVD really shines 99.9% of the time.

Please don't call people lazy like that. You don't know that. Not everyone knows a new drive comes with an unset region, or knows why they should set it and how.

Please don't call people lazy like that. You don't know that. Not everyone knows a new drive comes with an unset region, or knows why they should set it and how.

Indeed, I'm far from lazy when it comes to most things, and especially anything computer related (software developer here).

I knew that the drive region code was a thing, and that most drives come unset; but I was unaware that AnyDVD worked better with the region code set (especially since it had never complained before in all these years).

- Tim

Actually every DVD and Blu-ray drive I'v gotten the region code was set. Might be that I'm from Canada.

Actually every DVD and Blu-ray drive I'v gotten the region code was set. Might be that I'm from Canada.

Huh, interesting! Mine have always been unset. What brand do you usually get? I've been using LG Blu-Ray drives for quite some time now.

- Tim

anydvd shouldn't fail on VOBs where it can't brute force the key, it should just copy the VOB as is then. I decrypt from ISO all the time and while some VOBs can't be decrypted, this is because they are too small and in practice the DVD plays fine without it. All AnyDVD should do in those cases is note that VOB X/Y/Z couldn't be brute forced decrypted.

anydvd shouldn't fail on VOBs where it can't brute force the key, it should just copy the VOB as is then.
It does. The "message" is a warning.

Ah ok. My situation was to force brute Force for mounted iso which you've said you wont support, thought they were similar.
It does. The "message" is a warning.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Back