• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

AnyBDMV: Movie recovery product

I had never tried it before... I just copied a BD movie's '/BDMV/' to my hard disk. If that wasn't a raw read, what was it?
By "raw read" just means: "read the bits and don't bother with error checking or correcting". When you copy files from the disc, the whole mechanism, including error correction is fully at play.
Raw reading would be necessary for any statistical method to even be possible.
Then you'd have to do the error correction yourself - and be faced with the same problem again. You don't know, which bits are bad. Statistics don't help - many of those bits will persistently be flipped the wrong way (the error correction mechanism will fix them, but only if.... ah, well I already explained that).

You don't know, which bits are bad.
That's the reason to read over-and-over (and over, and over) and scoreboard the results... To statistically get a better idea where the 'bad' bits are. The bad bits are going to be the ones that change. And most prevailent values are probably the best values available. If the 'really bad' bits can be isolated to fewer video frames, then dropping those fewer frames will result in the least loss.

...You don't need to reply unless you really want to.

I've literally been doing this for the past decade+ with ddrescue for DVDs and BRs (and a set of non bus encryption drives for BRs). Create an encrypted BD ISO with ddrescue and then can use anydvd to decrypt BRs and dvddecrypter (iso to iso mode) to decrypt DVDs by using an iso mounter. ddrescue will tell you how much of the disc is read and enable you to fill in the blanks from other media if one can get access to it. bad areas will be unencryptable.

@thetoad

Thanks for your post...

Ah! I forgot about bus encryption. So, ddrescue can raw read a non-bus encrypted drive. Of course. Do you have a source for such drives? PM me if you prefer.

There's a thread on doom9 with them, source is used on ebay

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I'd also note, that you don't get a set of "bad bits" on a fail to read. You get nothing. The drive says read failed if it can't return bits the pass the on disk error correction codes. So it's essentially all 0s

I.e. this isn't like a CD where you can actually read it in a raw mode and do cdparanoia magick.

I'd also note, that you don't get a set of "bad bits" on a fail to read. You get nothing. The drive says read failed if it can't return bits the pass the on disk error correction codes. So it's essentially all 0s
How large are the fail blocks? Are they 1 sector (2048 bytes)?

PS: Can you read the ECC bits for failed blocks?

PPS: A little thought... I think I could mod the drive to capture the raw data.

Last edited:
At that point you are in custom tool territory and outside the scope of anydvd I'd think.

At that point you are in custom tool territory and outside the scope of anydvd I'd think.
Indeed. It would be a hardware/software product. ...Why not? Imagine large. I have tools and I have $.

Back