• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

VCD Emulation - can it emulate a UHD Drive?

tgp7777777

VCD currently emulates a DVD/BD drive. Can it or, will it , emulate a UHD drive?

No quite answering the question I know but doesn't a real UHD drive show up in Windows as a BD drive anyway?

No quite answering the question I know but doesn't a real UHD drive show up in Windows as a BD drive anyway?

If you want to play UHD ISO "Full fat" i.e menus etc in Powerdvd then your system must pass the 4K BD Advisor tests. You can have everything pass the test, protected path, Kaby lake etc etc but it still won't play unless you have a 4K blu-Ray drive. My question was, can VCD allow your system to pass the test without having to buy an actual 4k Blu-ray drive. Apparently it cannot.

If you want to play UHD ISO "Full fat" i.e menus etc in Powerdvd then your system must pass the 4K BD Advisor tests. You can have everything pass the test, protected path, Kaby lake etc etc but it still won't play unless you have a 4K blu-Ray drive. My question was, can VCD allow your system to pass the test without having to buy an actual 4k Blu-ray drive. Apparently it cannot.
No, you didn't mention anything about passing the test in your originak question.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

In my tests it worked fine, so why do you think it cannot?

In my tests it worked fine, so why do you think it cannot?

Hi James. Because when I mounted a 4K ISO and ran the Bd Advisor, it said my setup failed on not having a 4K Blu-Ray player.

Hi James. Because when I mounted a 4K ISO and ran the Bd Advisor, it said my setup failed on not having a 4K Blu-Ray player.
Well, of course you don't. But if you mount an unprotected (or protected, with AnyDVD running) image, PowerDVD will play it. At least last time, I tried.

Well, of course you don't. But if you mount an unprotected (or protected, with AnyDVD running) image, PowerDVD will play it. At least last time, I tried.
In HDR James?

In HDR James?
I believe so. PowerDVD doesn't need an "official" drive, as it has no need to decrypt AACS "officially". The rest of the system must meet the insane requirements (CPU, SGX, ... ), for no apparent reason. I haven't tested it much. But you can try it yourself, if you have all the pieces.

I believe so. PowerDVD doesn't need an "official" drive, as it has no need to decrypt AACS "officially". The rest of the system must meet the insane requirements (CPU, SGX, ... ), for no apparent reason. I haven't tested it much. But you can try it yourself, if you have all the pieces.
I thought that using AnyDVD eliminated all of those requirements if you played the disk with it on?

I thought that using AnyDVD eliminated all of those requirements if you played the disk with it on?

AnyDVD allows the UHD disc to play in your drive, or a protected UHD .iso to play in VirtualCloneDrive, but can do nothing to avoid PDVD's ridiculous requirements, which involve more than drive itself.

In HDR James?

Hi tgp7777777.

Yes in HDR.

When I mount a UHD .iso and try to play it on a non-HDR monitor, PDVD says the monitor can't play HDR content and do I want to use non-HDR mode. So the HDR is available on the .iso through VCD.

T

Maybe it doesn't need SGX, but it will certainly need the correct Intel HD graphics connected to the display (no Nvidia or AMD card), so it is hard to verify, if it will need SGX or not.
Maybe not. If someone has the time to try...

AnyDVD allows the UHD disc to play in your drive, or a protected UHD .iso to play in VirtualCloneDrive, but can do nothing to avoid PDVD's ridiculous requirements, which involve more than drive itself.

Hi tgp7777777.

Yes in HDR.

When I mount a UHD .iso and try to play it on a non-HDR monitor, PDVD says the monitor can't play HDR content and do I want to use non-HDR mode. So the HDR is available on the .iso through VCD.

T

Hi T,

I have overcome this issue now but this is my recollection using PowerDVD18 playing a 4K HDR rip mounted from VCD.

First James has confirmed (I think) that VCD doesn't emulate a 4K BD in the sense of fooling querying software that checks for a 4k drive that you actually have one.

When I first tried to play a RIP on a PC that met all of the hardware requirements of PDVD, it failed to play. (can't remember the error message). BD Advisor said my PC met all requirements to play except a 4K BD player.

I subsequently bought a USB 4K drive and plugged it in. Then when I tried to play a RIP from a mounted 4K ISO , PDVD said "activating components" or somesuch and then played the RIP OK. Since then I have been able to play ISO 4K RIPS in HDR.

It might have been the 4K drive that was the charm or maybe it was something else. As you and me have discussed before, PDVD is so flaky playing 4K ISO rips that it could have been something else (such as the weather or the time of day :) )

Thanks for everyone's help.

It might have been the 4K drive that was the charm or maybe it was something else.

tgp7777777, I doubt if it was the drive. I don't have and never have had a 4k drive. Only a UHD-friendly drive.

I just removed the friendly drive from the computer and re-booted. I can still play UHD .iso's just fine.

Now, it may be that having the friendly drive permanently activated something in PDVD to allow playing in 4k, but I don't think that's how it works.

Once I removed the drive, if it was reliant on it somehow to play UHD .iso's, it should have stopped playing them.

As you and me have discussed before, PDVD is so flaky playing 4K ISO rips that it could have been something else (such as the weather or the time of day :) )

How very true.

Probably was the distance between Earth and Mars that day (lol)

T

Maybe it doesn't need SGX, but it will certainly need the correct Intel HD graphics connected to the display (no Nvidia or AMD card), so it is hard to verify, if it will need SGX or not.
Maybe not. If someone has the time to try...

I'd be willing to try if someone can tell me a straightforward way to turn off SGX.

But I gotta say, if it involves fiddling around in BIOS, I'm unfamiliar and a little uncomfortable with that....

T

Powerdvd enforces SGX at the software level or it won't do HDR period. A user contacted cyberlink about it. Took them a while to admit it, but even for unprotected content it's required for HDR

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 6P met Tapatalk

Powerdvd enforces SGX at the software level or it won't do HDR period. A user contacted cyberlink about it. Took them a while to admit it, but even for unprotected content it's required for HDR

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 6P met Tapatalk

Hey, Ch3vron.

Are you referring to our convo below?

"Cause I verified from Cyberlink that Intel Graphics is required. Or did someone else ask them about SGX?

Or do both somehow go hand-in-hand (meaning if you have SGX it means you have Intel Graphics)?

https://forum.redfox.bz/threads/uhd-rips-and-powerdvd-17-drm-issues.74496/#post-483015

T

Is this an implementation thing or does the HDR standard require SGX even for content that is not encrypted?

Back