• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Ripper can't be used while AnyDVD dialog is open

markfilipak

AnyDVD HD v.8.2.7.0
Win10 v.1803

Initial conditions: "AnyDVD HD" dialog is open [see NOTE].

What I do: Right-click AnyDVD tray icon & select "Rip to image..."

What happens: Focus returns to "AnyDVD HD" dialog.

What I expected: Launch "AnyDVD Ripper".

Repeatablility: 100%.

NOTE: If "AnyDVD HD" dialog is NOT open, "AnyDVD Ripper" launches normally.

When the main AnyDVD is open, you can't launch the ripper. Afaik that's not a bug, but by design. Pretty sure @James or @Pete will confirm that.

The "dialog" is also the settings. Since this is a real time program, you cannot have someone changing settings while a rip is going on, therefore you do not allow a rip to start if the settings window is open.

The "dialog" is also the settings. Since this is a real time program, you cannot have someone changing settings while a rip is going on, therefore you do not allow a rip to start if the settings window is open.
Correct.
Sidenote: Did you know, that you can change settings during ripping? The settings change will be postponed until the rip is finished.
In theory, you could change settings, start rip from drive A , change settings, start rip from drive B, change settings, watch disc from drive C.
But I haven't tested this much... :rolleyes:

Correct.
Sidenote: Did you know, that you can change settings during ripping? The settings change will be postponed until the rip is finished.
In theory, you could change settings, start rip from drive A , change settings, start rip from drive B, change settings, watch disc from drive C.
But I haven't tested this much... :rolleyes:

I had no idea and am always careful NOT to make setting changes during a rip.

But the change will be postponed until after the rip completes?

Most excellent.

Will be using this "hidden gem" in the future.

T

It's like this. You start a rip, you then change a setting for example to remove the region because the 2nd disc you insert will be an import, and click ok. You then insert that imported disc. The region removal setting will now be active for that 2nd rip you can start, and will NOT affect the first started rip. Rinse and repeat...

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 6P met Tapatalk

It's like this. You start a rip, you then change a setting for example to remove the region because the 2nd disc you insert will be an import, and click ok. You then insert that imported disc. The region removal setting will now be active for that 2nd rip you can start, and will NOT affect the first started rip. Rinse and repeat...

Ch3vron,

Sounds good!

Just one question.

Using your example, if you have 2 different drives, you still have to wait for the first rip to complete before starting the second, right?

Not that you would normally rip two discs at the same time, but if you did and started the second rip while the first was running the Settings changes have still not taken effect, correct?

T

No need, over once it's started, you can make the changes which will be used on the second rip. Oh and for the record, I often rip 3! at the same time. There's a reason my mammoth of a system has 3 optical drives.

No need, over once it's started, you can make the changes which will be used on the second rip.

Way cool!

Oh and for the record, I often rip 3! at the same time. There's a reason my mammoth of a system has 3 optical drives.

Ok, that's amazing and a game changer for me.

I thought there was some reason two rips could not run concurrently.

Now, that you say you have actually run as many as 3, it means I can rip with both my drives and save some ripping time.

I would of course direct them to different Hard Drives because otherwise, they are fighting for the same (destination) resource.

Thank you AnyDVD!

T

Now, that you say you have actually run as many as 3, it means I can rip with both my drives and save some ripping time.

I would of course direct them to different Hard Drives because otherwise, they are fighting for the same (destination) resource.
An SSD destination shouldn't have any seek clash problems as a platter HD would have.

An SSD destination shouldn't have any seek clash problems as a platter HD would have.

So, I could direct both running rips to an SSD and it would not in any way impact the speed of either rip?

T

Yes you can rip both simultanously on a SSD, without speed's loss. SSDs have much lower access time and much higher IOPS (Input-/Output-operations per second) than HDDs have. :)
(Hard Disk drives) are mechanical, the read/write head can only be at one position at a time while on SSDs there are flash cells which are much better accessible in parallel.

When your SSD makes e.g. 300MByte/s write speed and you don't have too heavy IOPS, like ripping and bigger files, eg. two rip progress at same point, no other big accesses, then the SSD speed is shared through two between both copy processes without issues.
The theoretically max possible rip speed then is 150MByte/s per rip (with two proccess), which is still much faster than an (and two) Ultra HD Blu-ray drive(s) can achieve.

On HDDs files are often more or less scattered on the HDD surface. The drive's head has two move between the files' fragments due to more or less fragmentation.
Also when making two rips at same moment with a HDD the read/write-head has to jump regulary between both files' postions from both rips making.

Maybe newer HDDs can make 2 x40MByte/s, but it strains more or less the drive's mechanics but good HDDs should withstand that (hopefully) for longer time.

Last edited:

Unnecessary, your HDD is magnitudes faster than an optical drive, and designed for random access. I rip 3 drives to the same HDD all the time without issue or performance hit.

DrX

Yes you can rip both simultanously on a SSD, without speed's loss. SSDs have much lower access time and much higher IOPS (Input-/Output-operations per second) than HDDs have. :)
(Hard Disk drives) are mechanical, the read/write head can only be at one position at a time while on SSDs there are flash cells which are much better accessible in parallel.

When your SSD makes e.g. 300MByte/s write speed and you don't have too heavy IOPS, like ripping and bigger files, eg. two rip progress at same point, no other big accesses, then the SSD speed is shared through two between both copy processes without issues.
The theoretically max possible rip speed then is 150MByte/s per rip (with two proccess), which is still much faster than an (and two) Ultra HD Blu-ray drive(s) can achieve.

On HDDs files are often more or less scattered on the HDD surface. The drive's head has two move between the files' fragments due to more or less fragmentation.
Also when making two rips at same moment with a HDD the read/write-head has to jump regulary between both files' postions from both rips making.

Maybe newer HDDs can make 2 x40MByte/s, but it strains more or less the drive's mechanics but good HDDs should withstand that (hopefully) for longer time.

Ok, thanks for the explanation theosch. Can't wait to try this...

Unnecessary, your HDD is magnitudes faster than an optical drive, and designed for random access. I rip 3 drives to the same HDD all the time without issue or performance hit.

DrX

Dr. X you have ripped 3 to the same HD at the same time with no performance hit?

Because, although you're right about HD speeds being much faster than optical drives, random access and simultaneous access are two different things.

But if you say you have actually done it with no issues then ok, I'm on board!

So, yesterday, I tried doing 2 rips at the same time to 2 different HDs and it worked beautifully! No performance hit on either rip whatsoever.

Now, I can finally get around to backing up my Star Trek Enterprise Blu Ray box set. It has 24 discs, so I had put it aside to backup on a rainy day and essentially forgot.

Using double rips on my computers, I can now knock that out in just a few hours.

Woohoo!

Plan on trying simultaneous rips to same HD and to SSD tonight.

EDIT: Yesterday, I also tried changing Settings while a rip was in progress and it worked exactly as James explained.
I was ripping a Blu Ray and for the second rip needed to change DVD settings. The second DVD rip had the new setting applied and the first rip completed without a hitch.
Great design.

T

Last edited:
Dr. X you have ripped 3 to the same HD at the same time with no performance hit?

Because, although you're right about HD speeds being much faster than optical drives, random access and simultaneous access are two different things.

But if you say you have actually done it with no issues then ok, I'm on board!

Of course they are different things. The point is a HDD is designed to handle jumping around to different data streams. If you think your HDD is completely dedicated to the single stream of data you're copying to it, you're wrong. Run Process Monitor, and you'll be surprised how much "stuff" is constantly being accessed on your HDD by your system.

DrX

SSDs still should perform better for parallel operations than HDDs.

But all-in-all good to know that today's HDDs can perform better than I expected, good enough for three UHD processings at a time.
It's surely also realised by the HDD-cache and Native Command Queueing (NCQ) used by AHCI, and was not even due if an SSHD was used instead (=HDD with SSD flash combined).

--
According to a computer magazine, a high Sequential/serial transferate on an SSD would not be only important factor, given that today's SATA-SSDs get more er less get 200-500 MByte/s, M.2 nVME SSDs about 1000-3500 MByte/s. Especially for high transferate a good IOPS performance value (by controller?) would be important, to hold up the speed to feed fast enough with files, because of high sequential rate reading/writing file is quickly worked through to the next one.

Last edited:
SSDs still should perform better for parallel operations than HDDs.

Not really. The time bounding resource in this case is the optical drive. Using a faster receiving drive is not going to magically make the ripping faster.

DrX

Of course they are different things. The point is a HDD is designed to handle jumping around to different data streams. If you think your HDD is completely dedicated to the single stream of data you're copying to it, you're wrong. Run Process Monitor, and you'll be surprised how much "stuff" is constantly being accessed on your HDD by your system.

DrX

Ok, I'd like to do that.

Is Process Monitor something that should already be in a Windows computer? Not coming up on mine when I search...

Also, the other things that are going on with the HD behind-the-scenes, aren't they HD reads or are things being written to the HD by background processes as well?

(Btw, we're probably going way off topic and may need to take this to a new thread...)

T

Process Monitor is available from Microsoft's website. It is one of the System Internals tools they bought from Mark Russinovich.

Back