• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Best 4k Blu-ray Drive?

LG BH16NS40 - 1.00-1.02
ASUS BC-12D2HT - 3.00

Just follow the link in my previous post.

One more question, is there a way to tell what the firmware is on those drives prior to purchase? In other words, if I found one in a store is there anything on the packaging or label that would tell me what the version of the firmware is, or is it impossible to tell without actually hooking up the drive? I'm specifically asking with regard to the two models I mentioned in my previous post.

Those drives are usually not sealed. Just open the packing and look at the MFD and/or Firmware version if present.
Most LG models have the firmware printed on the sticker - not sure for ASUS.

Thanks. Well, I think I got one that does not need to be modded, should be here some time this week. I do have one question though, under Windows 10 do you have to worry about Windows auto updating the firmware without asking?

Thanks. Well, I think I got one that does not need to be modded, should be here some time this week. I do have one question though, under Windows 10 do you have to worry about Windows auto updating the firmware without asking?
Windows can't update the firmware on the drive.

Congratulations BlurayGuy!

Which one did you get and what firmware does it come with?

T

Thanks. It was an LG WH16NS40 with SVC code:NS50 and firmware version 1.02.

Probably a rare find at this stage of the game.

Lucky guuuuuy! I'm happy for you.

So, welcome to the world of UHD ripping!

I've been doing it for a little while now, so if you have any question about the rips, let me know.

T

I am very much afraid that my Asus UHD-friendly drive (ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.02) has already passed away (on ripping UHDs using AnyDVD it produced various read errors) - so I'm looking for a new one that STILL IS UHD-friendly, i.e. not sold with a new FW rendering it unfriendly.

I think I have found somewhere on the web (but can't exactly remember where) that there is a sort of (inofficial) "company" which sells UHD drives being explicitely UHD-friendly.

Can anyone help me?

I bought a ASUS BW-16D1HT with FW 3.03. After Flashing to 3.00 with Win7pe-x86 everything is fine. I tested UHD-rip successfully with UHD-DVD "It"

I've got UHD friendly drives for anyone who needs them. alexcoluzzi32@gmail.com

I have at least a dozen of ready to ship ASUS BW-16D1HT and LGs WH16NS40 and WH14NS40, all come loaded with the ASUS 3.01 firmware so even the LGs will rip at 8X normally found on only the ASUS. I can make these external by putting them in a SATA > USB enclosure or have you order the enclosure and remotely assist you in putting it together. Anything I send out I guarantee it work since I test these thoroughly after flashing them. I ship two day priority mail, with tracking. My prices are fair and as a result have over 100 references at this point with almost 200 drives sold.

I apologize, I know this looks like spam and I don't usually hang out in this forum but the one I'm used to is getting a little crowded so I'm branching out.

My name is Alex, I'm a rabid 4K UHD blu ray collector and 4K UHD blu ray archival solutions provider. Happy to send someone well known in this group a drive in advance of payment for them to qualify and report back on. I can also assist anyone having trouble with flashing their own drive.

Thank you.

Just a question: Makes it sense to upgrade ASUS from 3.00 to 3.02 (Dec 2017)?

Just a question: Makes it sense to upgrade ASUS from 3.00 to 3.02 (Dec 2017)?

There does not seem to be anything different between 3.01 and 3.02 in terms of rip speed so I always keep units at 3.01. I load the LGs with 3.01 ASUS as well so the LG users can take advantage of the speed boost afforded by the superior ASUS firmware.

Alex

DO NOT update to 3.02 if you rip UHD discs, afaik it removes it's 'uhd friendly status and removes your ability to rip UHD discs.

DO NOT update to 3.02 if you rip UHD discs, afaik it removes it's 'uhd friendly status and removes your ability to rip UHD discs.

Yes that's why I chill with 3.01. There are two builds of 3.02 that circulate in the wild so unless you know what you have, don't use it. I have a clean copy if someone has their hearts set on using that version. Happy to post a link, just email me.

Define "clean" if it has been modified to match YOUR drive (DV signature), it WILL corrupt the firmware of any other drive. Now, anydvd has recently been updated to work around that, (used to fail with UHD decryption if DV firmware value didn't match drive signature) but still not a wise move to flash it then.

If it's on 3.00, safely update to 3.01. If it's on 3.01 leave it alone, any build of it. Thats my opinion

Back