• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

"Disc is region free" ...means what?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Proposed: A new 'Blu-ray Disc Region' dialog.

This thread:
https://forum.redfox.bz/threads/disc-is-region-free-means-what.75714/
showed me that no one knows what this dialog really asks (or displays).

We all very much know what that dialogue ask. It asks for the REGION of the INSERTED DISC which you've been told probably about a dozen times now. It's even one of the options in the region removal setting. It's even in the right click tooltip about that function.

Last edited:
Manufacturers will often label a disc "Region A" when it's actually region free. They do that to control distribution. I'd like my readers to know that a particular disc is actually Region A or Region B or Region (whatever), or region free and to disregard the disc label. I want to do that for those people who are looking for a region B disc, for example, because their's has gone bad and they can't find a replacement (that is, it's out of print in their region). Just because it says "Region A" on the U.S. package doesn't mean that the content isn't actually region free.
Well guess what. The disk manufacturers deliberately make it difficult for you to do this.

It would be less tedious for me if AnyDVD simply told me that without having to go through all the PowerDVD region changes, but... Oh, well.
It would be great if that was possible but IT ISN'T.
The disk manufacturers are free to add as much complicated spaghetti code as they like to make determining the region as hard as they feel they want to make it.
AnyDVD cannot read the message on the screen, only a human can.

It's even in the right click tooltip about that function.
There is no right-click tooltip for the choices in the "Blu-ray Disc Region" dialog. I'm running v.8.2.7.0 in Win-10 v.1803.

Maybe not for the individual options (which isn't what I said) but there is for the parent function 'remove Blu-ray region' (which is what I said) It tells you exactly what you need to specify

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 6P met Tapatalk

Maybe not for the individual options (which isn't what I said) but there is for the parent function 'remove Blu-ray region' (which is what I said) It tells you exactly what you need to specify
I believe I see the problem here. It's a communication problem.

You're looking at the "AnyDVD HD" dialog. You think I don't know what 'Video Blu-ray' > '[X] Remove Blu-ray Region Code' does. I assure you, I do know what it does.

I'm looking at the "Blu-ray Disc Region" dialog. I'm asking what 'Blu-ray Disc Region' > '(o) Disc is region free' means: Is AnyDVD affirming that the disc is region free, or is AnyDVD asking me whether to 'make' the disc region free (through emulation or whatever). Kindly reread my original post (this thread-starter).

I believe I see the problem here. It's a communication problem.
I'm looking at the "Blu-ray Disc Region" dialog. I'm asking what 'Blu-ray Disc Region' > '(o) Disc is region free' means: Is AnyDVD affirming that the disc is region free, or is AnyDVD asking me whether to 'make' the disc region free (through emulation or whatever). Kindly reread my original post (this thread-starter).

I'm not sure if affirm is correct expression.
Affirm means confirming something. AnyDVD can't always find out whether a disc is region-free or not, and if not what 1/2 region/(s) it is locked to. So I'd not use the term affirm in that context question "or whether AnyDVD was affirming if region-free?" you wrote.
It's always the user who confirms/affirms to AnyDVD that the disc would be region-free or locked by some region. It's always the user to tell AnyDVD how to try to handle the region-check code on the disc, if to do anything or to do nothing ("Disc is region free")

In some cases AnyDVD finds out the accepted player-regions or if region-free on some discs by itself, so with setting "Automatic" AnyDVD removes all region lock automatically, or does nothing automatically, when it detects region-free (with setting "Automatic")

"...is AnyDVD asking me whether to 'make' the disc region free (through emulation or whatever)?"
No, the AnyDVD dialog "Disc is region free" just means that the user tells AnyDVD that the BD-Disc would (already) be region free. Telling to AnyDVD that the condition of the disc that it (already) supports A+B+C. Nothing else. So in fact pretty sure, the checkbox "Disc is region free" does nothing.

So the "Disc is region-free" checkbox doesn't make a region-(player)-locked Disc region-free, because it does nothing.

And when a Disc accepts all player-software-regions (region-free) it's logical there's nothing necessary to do anything anyway :).

Of course when a disc accepts all regions, you could also check the box "A" ,"B" or "C". Then AnyDVD would do something a bit to put some code to the disc that tells the disc it would be played in an A/B or C player. As the Disc is region-free anyway, even if you select A /B or C, it's still playable and likewise still region-free.
-------------------------------------
What I was irritated, afaik even a region-free (pressed region-free BD-ROM, not prepared through AnyDVD) doesn't have an authentication, it's just checking-code which checks for players-software-region, and if the code on the disc detects (any) A/B or C in the playback-software it accepts playback.
-------------------------------------
Just ISO-copies or virtuallized Discs, AnyDVD adds that authentication, which outsmarts PowerDVDs region-authentication -message.
If you select wrong region AnyDVD to put false region-authentication the virtualized disc ISO-copy is permanenly unplayable in PowerDVD, regardless if you change region-identity-setting in PowerDVD

The best explanation how I understood the devs, but maybe I'm wrong again :)

I know that might be confusing, if that's so, why at all necessary to have the dialog "Disc is region-free"?
I'd say it's also confusing when disc is region-free, and all settings AnyDVD dialog the accepted regions or potentially region free, why should it be documented to select region A / B / C and "Disc is region free" would be missing? (That would be confusing for the normal people, who don't know they could also select A /B or C on a region-free-disc.
That would just raise more in the long-term effectively insignificant questions, just to understand, but not hindering the region playback experience, not any bad copy to expect anyway :)

So hence to avoid distraction I'd say AnyDVD also offers the checkbox "Disc is region-free".

Maybe some help help-drop-up text in AnyDVD could be useful on those region settings to explain all that stuff shortly. :)

EG:On region-free box:
Please verify on the box, package, on the disclabel, that there is ABC pictured or no region lock marking listed.
On Region-free discs, there's nothing to do anyway. "This setting does not do anything."
"This setting does not remove any region-lock, because it does nothing"

On Region A box :
That similar like-wise text remains "You have to declare the region of the disc" not of the drive! see package. BD-drive doesn't have BD-region codes.
"If the Disc is region-A-playback-software locked, please check this box. This will add A-authentication", the result will be region-free.
"If the disc is region (A+B) or (A+C) locked you could also check this box, the result will-be region-free"
"If the Discis already is region-free, you could potentially check this box, the resulting Disc remains region-free."

On Region B box :
That similar like-wise text remains "You have to declare the region of the disc" not of the drive! see package. BD-drive doesn't have BD-region codes.
"If the Disc is region-B-playback-software locked, please check this box". This will add B-authentication", the result will be region-free.
If the disc is region (A+B) or (B+C) locked you could also check this box, the result will-be region-free"
If the Disc already is region-free, you could also check this box, the resulting Disc remains region-free."

On Region C box :
That similar like-wise text remains "You have to declare the region of the disc" not of the drive! see package. BD-drive doesn't have BD-region codes."
"If the Disc is region-C-playback-software locked, please check this box". This will add C-authentication", the result will be region-free.
"If the disc is region (A+C) or (B+C) locked you could also check this box, the result will be region-free"
"If the Disc already is region-free, you could also check this box, the resulting Disc remains region-free."
----

@markfilipak
I really must say I can't confirm mislabeled region declarations on package, all discs I've backed-up they all had correct region declared on the package.
Maybe on some few boxes without any marking, the disc has a region-lock.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if affirm is correct expression.
Affirm means confirming something. AnyDVD can't always find out whether a disc is region-free or not...
Thank you, Theo ...I assume your name is Theo... but you admit that you don't know the details. Actually, the details of what AnyDVD does (and how it does it) is not really pertinent, is it?

I'd just like to know whether, in the "Blu-ray Disc Region" dialog, '(o) Disc is region free' is an affirmative statement about the disc, or a prompt to the user? By having a radio button, it seems that it's a prompt to the user to get AnyDVD to 'treat' the disc as region free. But the text makes an affirmative statement: "Disc is region free" (which cannot a prompt). What this 'control' (or 'statement') means is left up to the user (me). That's where the confusion arises: Some people think it's a control while others think it's a simple statement.

I am simply trying to get an informed judgment (hopefully, from someone who has access to the code).

Last edited:
Thank you, Theo ...I assume your name is Theo... but you admit that you don't know the details. Actually, the details of what AnyDVD does (and how it does it) is not really pertainent, is it?

I'd just like to know whether, in the "Blu-ray Disc Region" dialog, '(o) Disc is region free' is an affirmative statement about the disc, or a prompt to the user? By having a radio button, it seems that it's a prompt to the user to get AnyDVD to 'treat' the disc as region free. But the text makes an affirmative statement: "Disc is region free" (which cannot a prompt). What this 'control' (or 'statement') means is left up to the user (me). That's where the confusion arises: Some people think it's a control while others think it's a simple statement.

I am simply trying to get an informed judgment (hopefully, from someone who has access to the code).

"I'd just like to know whether, in the "Blu-ray Disc Region" dialog, '(o) Disc is region free' is an affirmative statement about the disc, or a prompt to the user? By having a radio button, it seems that it's a prompt to the user to get AnyDVD to 'treat' the disc as region free."
Yes it's one of the prompts the user can act with (selecting it) as an affirmative statement to AnyDVD that the disc would be "region-free".
Of course the user could be false to think the disc was-region-free. Then it's a false affirmation done by the user to AnyDVD. AnyDVD does nothing change with "region-free" and leave the region lock existing (same as "remove region limitation" disabled)
I think I know your confusion. Yes the "region-free" is of course also prompt the user can select. After done this AnyDVD "takes the control over", by doing nothing th(a)n compared to the other options would do.

I'm sure it's correct. Otherwise ch3vr0n or other developer already had me corrected there at least here. In other points in those I could be wrong OK, it could still maybe they have given up on me, or I'm just talking too much :)

Last edited:
With that setting you're telling anydvd the disc is region free. (Just like any of the other options, you're telling anydvd the disc is coded to a certain region) Unless you're 100% sure it actually is (just because there's no region specified on the packaging, doesn't mean it's region free), it's safer to specify the region where you got the disc from. Saying region free, when it actually isn't, is effectively saying the same thing as specifying the wrong region. It WILL render the disc unplayable.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 6P met Tapatalk

I hope you can understand now markfilipak. ch3vr0n certainly has explained it good in a much shorter message.

I'm not sure what you're problem is markfilipak. Do you critize the AnyDVD manual documentation, that it (maybe) was it not as good explaining as in this thread?

[EDIT]
@Ch3vr0n
I'm not 100% certain, are you 100% sure "Disc is region-free" makes the disc unplayable in PowerDVD on a region-locked disc?
If yes, then I was wrong with that that, that the setting "Disc is region-free" would do/would always do nothing.

In any case, good idea to specify always your region, e.g. such in case you're unsure, as region-free discs still stay playable as explained before.
And also where you get your discs have your disc-region with much higher possibility.
---

I had expected the "Disc is region-free" does nothing, because there's anyway no authentication code to add, because any PowerDVD region is a legitime authentication to the request of a region free disc.
Why on a locked disc the option "Disc is region free" in AnyDVD behave other way (just because it's a locked disc)? Then that option would be impersistent??
(Maybe I could have an error in thinking, can't say) :)

Last edited:
"Nope" what?

You know, I went to a lot of trouble to prepare my thread-starter (not to mention combatting the horrors of this forum software that wouldn't let me format the way I wanted). It's not fair of you to make a terse remark like that.
Nope, not needed to muck with something apparently only you don't understand.

If this was truly an issue with more than one person, or a few people, your complaints would have already been raised and dealt with.

A lot of work goes into AnyDVD keeping it from being unnecessary bloatware.

Not my fault you don't understand simplicity.

Last edited:
@theosch just saying the exact same thing again I've said from the start.

Sent from my Nexus 7 with Tapatalk

Thank you ALL for clarification. If I understand all that's been written in this thread (which hopefully will now die) it is this:
If AnyDVD knew the actual disc region coding, it wouldn't present the "Blu-ray Disc Region" dialog (even if the user had configured AnyDVD to '(o) Always ask for region code of inserted disc').

Thus, AnyDVD never affirmatively reports a disc's actual region to the user, but reports 'Status' solely as:
1, "Note: automatic detection of region code not possible with this disc", or
2, "Determined region(s): A" (because I selected '(o) Region A' in the "Blu-ray Disc Region" dialog), or
3, "Determined region(s): A" (because I selected '(o) Disk is region free' in the "Blu-ray Disc Region" dialog & 'Region A' is included in the 'region free' designation).

However,
Saying region free, when it actually isn't, is effectively saying the same thing as specifying the wrong region. It WILL render the disc unplayable.
cannot be true. I say that because, in case 3, above, that's exactly what I am doing and the disc plays fine.

Details:
I insert a disc that purports to be Region A locked, then
I select '(o) Disk is region free' in the "Blu-ray Disc Region" dialog, and
PowerDVD plays it just fine ...I'm watching the movie right now!

So either I am feable-minded, or Ch3vr0n, what you have written is not correct.

Now, please understand that all that I seek is affirmative information on a disc's region coding. If AnyDVD cannot provide that, then I must cook up a procedure -- Thanks again, Brian! -- to suss that out.

Thank you ALL for clarification. If I understand all that's been written in this thread (which hopefully will now die) it is this:
If AnyDVD knew the actual disc region coding, it wouldn't present the "Blu-ray Disc Region" dialog (even if the user had configured AnyDVD to '(o) Always ask for region code of inserted disc').

Thus, AnyDVD never affirmatively reports a disc's actual region to the user, but reports 'Status' solely as:
2, "Determined region(s): A" (because I selected '(o) Region A' in the "Blu-ray Disc Region" dialog), or
3, "Determined region(s): A" (because I selected '(o) Disk is region free' in the "Blu-ray Disc Region" dialog & 'Region A' is included in the 'region free' designation).

However,

cannot be true. I say that because, in case 3, above, that's exactly what I am doing and the disc plays fine.

Details:
I insert a disc that purports to be Region A locked, then
I select '(o) Disk is region free' in the "Blu-ray Disc Region" dialog, and
PowerDVD plays it just fine ...I'm watching the movie right now!

So either I am feable-minded, or Ch3vr0n, what you have written is not correct.

Now, please understand that all that I seek is affirmative information on a disc's region coding. If AnyDVD cannot provide that, then I must cook up a procedure -- Thanks again, Brian! -- to suss that out.

Turns out I was right (in that manner), that the option "Disc is region free" would do nothing.;)
--

@markfilipak
More or less right.
In many cases AnyDVD can't find out the region coding, but on some discs it can. If it can Then the message appears "Determined Region A" or "Determined Region B" or "Determined Region C", "Determined Region A and B", Determined Region A and C" Determined Region B and C" or another possible message when AnyDVD detetcs it by itself eg. a region-free disc ("Disc is region-free".)
If you set to Automatic, and AnyDVD detects region-free disc, then AnyDVD automatically uses the dialog option disc is region-free".

If AnyDVD can detect by itself an A-region disc it uses option A automatically, ... etc.

If AnyDVD cannot detect region, then the message is "automatic detection of region code not possible with this disc"

Last edited:
Turns out I was right (in that manner), that "Disc is region free" would do nothing.;)
Well, my friend. It appears that the developers are being understandably coy about AnyDVD's operation. AnyDVD is doing something when a user selects '(o) Disc is region free'. ...I could probably search this thread and find cases that refute your conclusion, but then, I wouldn't know whether what I found was correct or just somebody's notion.

@James or @Pete can any of you step in, this back and forth debate of is/isn't setting behavior has gone on long enough.

Sent from my Nexus 7 with Tapatalk

@markfilipak
Then please explain how PowerDVD still can play according to you the disc.
--
@markfilipak
Either botting, artificial intelligence testing, or just a trolling here. Sry to say that.
Busted!

And no they won't tell how AnyDVD works exactly, it's their property.

As you pretended you didn't try to reverse engineer the program...

Well, my friend. It appears that the developers are being understandably coy about AnyDVD's operation. AnyDVD is doing something when a user selects '(o) Disc is region free'. ...I could probably search this thread and find cases that refute your conclusion, but then, I wouldn't know whether what I found was correct or just somebody's notion.
Well, I already told you, what the "region free" in the dialog box does:
If you select a region with the region dialog, you tell AnyDVD to exchange the playback device region with the region you tell it.
"region free" in this dialog tells AnyDVD, that the disc will play ABC, and it doesn't need to do this complicated stuff.
But you refuse to simply read Pete's and my posts. If you understand what we have been saying, you can figure out all the answers yourself. Instead you ramble along and along and along. Quoting this, quoting that. Take Pete's and my posts, try to undestand what has been said, and you have the whole region truth in front of you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back