• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

UHD copy crashes CloneBD

coopervid

Just some hint for the super-sensitive UHD discs.

Tried to backup Jumanji UHD this evening. The disc was cleaned 3 times when CloneBD crashed every time shortly after the start of the copy (with soap, alcohol). Then I did a "Rip to image" with AnyDVD, copy protection enabled and loaded it into VirtualCloneDrive. This time CloneBD could do the job from the ISO image. Seems AnyDVD is more robust concerning reading problematic parts of UHD discs and this method might help others solving similar issues with some UHD discs.

Just some hint for the super-sensitive UHD discs.

Tried to backup Jumanji UHD this evening. The disc was cleaned 3 times when CloneBD crashed every time shortly after the start of the copy (with soap, alcohol). Then I did a "Rip to image" with AnyDVD, copy protection enabled and loaded it into VirtualCloneDrive. This time CloneBD could do the job from the ISO image. Seems AnyDVD is more robust concerning reading problematic parts of UHD discs and this method might help others solving similar issues with some UHD discs.

That's good to know Coopervid! Proof that AnyDVD is more robust in reading those sensitive UHD discs.

Helps me feel justified in spending what I have for Hard Drives to keep AnyDVD-ripped copies of all my UHDs.

Because just as soon as I get one, I make a protected and an unprotected copy in case anything goes wrong with the original disc.

But aside from that, I think if you're going to process Blu Rays or UHD's in CloneBD, it's quicker to first make an AnyDVD image copy and use that as input to CloneBD.

Even more so if you put the image copy on SSD.

My recollection is back-when I did some testing making CloneBD copies directly from a Blu Ray disc, and again making the .iso first and doing the same CloneBD task.

And most of the time the total time to do the latter was shorter.

Even if that wasn't the case, if you should need to re-do the CloneBD process for whatever reason, it's always quicker for CloneBD to read the .iso for your subsequent processing attempts.

T

I still had issues with the UHD Jumanji even mounting the .ISO with VirtualCloneDrive. At the very end of the conversion process CloneBD crashed and didn't write the .bdmv files in the BDMV folder. I then removed the check box for "always read via file system" and then it worked.

@Reto or Pete,

do you think that this was the nature of the issue? In which cases do you recommend to use file system (check box marked) or have CloneBD reading directly?

There's probably a reason that "filesystem" setting isn't enabled by default ;) With that setting active CLBD reads the disc structure through the Windows OS, which isn't needed unless you're asked to activate that setting. CLBD has a native UDF 2.50 parser. That said, the setting specifies READING only, it shouldn't have any impact on WRITING the video files in the bdmv folder. Note i said it SHOULDN'T, i don't know why disabling that setting worked for writing.

Maybe it has something to do with the UDF parser, as UHD uses UDF 2.60 and not 2.50

Thanks Ch3vr0n,

well, it happened while CloneBD was reading and crashed working on the movie credits. Therefore, I guess, the files were not written.

That does explain it. Video files generated "on-the-fly". But disable that setting, that's the default ;)

Always wondered what that file system setting was for.

Again, good to know (to stay away from it)!

T

That's why the tooltips exist when you hover your mouse cursor over one (same thing with any anydvd setting)

Sent from my Nexus 6P with Tapatalk

Alright. Will uncheck it in the future. The question still is: What is this option good for???

It's good for the opposite of what you're doing ;) If CloneBD has trouble with a disc natively, THEN you enable that setting and try again.

That's why the tooltips exist when you hover your mouse cursor over one (same thing with any anydvd setting)

Sent from my Nexus 6P with Tapatalk

You know for some reason I never noticed there is mouse-over info on the CloneBD setting screen.

So thanks for that tip.

But I'm not getting any mouse-overs for the AnyDVD settings (??)...

T

This is not finished yet.
The disc doesn't work on the fly. With either file options. Just tried again.
I copied then with ImageBurn to an ISO since Clone failed with the "always use the file system" with the AnyDVD ISO. But the copy from the ImageBurn ISO (decrypted) is missing colors - most likely DolbyVision. So I just rip again at this moment with AnyDVD and will try to convert with CloneBD afterwards.
I'll keep you posted. What a mess!

But I'm not getting any mouse-overs for the AnyDVD settings (??)...
AnyDVD tells you after installation of every new version, that you need to use the right mouse button. ;)

Back