• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

4k UHD Backups

pronto

Just wanted to ask how powerful a PC is needed to backup 4K UHD blu-rays, I don't intend to playback on the PC as I will use my Egreat 10 for that

my pc is running windows 10 pro 64 bit / intel i5 6600k @ 3.5GHz / 16 GB RAM /
Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB / ASUS BC-12D2HT friendly drive...thanks

Last edited:
For backups. That'll do fine. There's only 3 things that really matter. The GPU used to do the encoding (in this case the 6600k unless you have a discrete graphics card), the source drive (HDD/ODD) and target drive (HDD). I do recommend to rip the disc to hard drive first, because a harddrive can supply data to the encoder a lot faster than any Optical Disc Drive can, and a constantly spinning disc would generate lots of heat too and ya don't want that in a PC

For backups. That'll do fine. There's only 3 things that really matter. The GPU used to do the encoding (in this case the 6600k unless you have a discrete graphics card), the source drive (HDD/ODD) and target drive (HDD). I do recommend to rip the disc to hard drive first, because a harddrive can supply data to the encoder a lot faster than any Optical Disc Drive can, and a constantly spinning disc would generate lots of heat too and ya don't want that in a PC

Appreciate the reply Ch3vr0n thanks, just two more questions....Would it be best for me to backup to the Samsung SSD then when backup is complete copy iso to 4TB HDD ready to transfer to the Egreat.. also is 4TB HDD too small nowadays for 1.1 4K UHD Blu-rays backups.... thanks

I'd do it the other way around. Rip to the HDD, use the SSD as encoding target, cause that's exactly what i do for my normal BD backups and a 4TB HDD can hold a lot more rips than your 240gb SSD :p At least before i burn them to disc. As to too small. Whell most PC's can house more than 1 HDD. I'm gradually replacing my small 1-2 & 4TB discs with 10TB ones :p

Appreciate the reply Ch3vr0n thanks, just two more questions....Would it be best for me to backup to the Samsung SSD then when backup is complete copy iso to 4TB HDD ready to transfer to the Egreat.. also is 4TB HDD too small nowadays for 1.1 4K UHD Blu-rays backups.... thanks

I'd do it the other way around. Rip to the HDD, use the SSD as encoding target, cause that's exactly what i do for my normal BD backups and a 4TB HDD can hold a lot more rips than your 240gb SSD :p At least before i burn them to disc. As to too small. Whell most PC's can house more than 1 HDD. I'm gradually replacing my small 1-2 & 4TB discs with 10TB ones :p

Correct me if I'm wrong Ch3vron, but ripping the original UHD (or any) disc to SSD should be no faster than to HD because you're constrained by the slower speed of the optical drive.

So I always rip discs to HD - unless I plan to process it in CloneBD. In that case I rip to SSD because it makes the subsequent CloneBD process faster.

But I don't think there's anything to gain by ripping to SSD just to turn around and copy the .iso to HD.

Right now, I have a couple of 8T HDs that I'm using for UHD backups.

Seems to me UHDs average around 60-65G. But I have seen some in the 90G's. 100G is the max you can get on BD-XL.

Even if you use the max number, means you get around 40 UHDs on a 4T drive (with nothing else on it). In reality it would probably be around 50 to 60.

T

gentlemen whether you will allow me to buy the NWME SSD on which I would download UHD with respect to the speed after I would have copied from the NWME to the big hardisk

gentlemen whether you will allow me to buy the NWME SSD on which I would download UHD with respect to the speed after I would have copied from the NWME to the big hardisk

Lukas not sure if I understand what you're saying.

But if you are saying you want to rip UHDs to SSD then immediately copy to Hard Drive, I was saying I don't think you will get any speed benefits by doing that.

Reading UHD discs is very slow compared to writing to Hard Disk OR SSD. So I don't think ripping to SSD is any faster than to HD because reading the optical disc is the bottleneck.

I may be wrong though and if so someone please correct me.

If that is not what you're saying, can you re-phrase then to make it clearer?

T

oh yes I did not realize that reading the optical drive is a noticeable overlay :( yes I was going to say that from the optical drive I copied the UHD content to the SSD and from the SSD to the normal disk I think it could be faster but unfortunately it's true the optical drive will be a limit

oh yes I did not realize that reading the optical drive is a noticeable overlay :( yes I was going to say that from the optical drive I copied the UHD content to the SSD and from the SSD to the normal disk I think it could be faster but unfortunately it's true the optical drive will be a limit

Yeah, reading from and writing to optical disk is always the slowest process when working with movies.

That's the reason I (and I'm sure most people) put my entire movie collection on computer - for quicker and easier access once it's off the physical disc.

I've never tried it but yeah writing from SSD to disc shouldn't be any faster than writing from Hard Disk either.

T

Back