• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

DVD Shrink discussion

DetroitBaseball

The fact that Shrink is never updated (since what, 2 years ago?) doesn't help either...unless there are updates somewhere I'm not aware of.

Oh, and I forgot to mention my CloneDVD is the latest version but AnyDVD is still 6.1.7.0, I haven't updated yet. I didn't mean to leave that out earlier.
Shrink was forced to shutdown, although I don't know why since it does nothing illegal unless it can decrypt CSS.

Shrink can handle CSS protected discs without Anydvd. However, Shrink can't handle anything else by itself.
That's what I was thinking. So Shrink was shutdown because it decrypted CSS? Otherwise how would it be illegal?

That's what I was thinking. So Shrink was shutdown because it decrypted CSS? Otherwise how would it be illegal?

Well, in addition to handling CSS, Shrink also began to handle some abnormal disc structures as well (but not anything like what we see today).

Well, in addition to handling CSS, Shrink also began to handle some abnormal disc structures as well (but not anything like what we see today).
Shrink should have just dropped those then. Too good of an app to stop developing it for those reasons.

Shrink should have just dropped those then. Too good of an app to stop developing it for those reasons.

Shrink 3.2 went back to adhering to a pretty strict disc structure, but it can still (sometimes) handle discs that only have CSS without Anydvd.

Also, the author of Shrink went on to help develop Nero Recode (so, in a sense, Shrink isn't completely dead).

Last edited:
Shrink 3.2 went back to adhering to a pretty strict disc structure, but it can still handle discs that only have CSS without Anydvd.

Also, the author of Shrink went on to help develop Nero Recode (so, in a sense, Shrink isn't completely dead).
I've always found CloneDVD to be sufficient for quality, so I've never used Recode but I have used DVDShrink a few times. I am not a quality freak.

Shrink *is* dead. Its author is not. I don't think Recode is a worthy successor, I miss some really nice features from Shrink, and I like the Shrink UI much, much more than Recode's. And Recode costs money, too.
I'll stick with CloneDVD & Shrink, that's all you'll ever need.

Shrink *is* dead. Its author is not. I don't think Recode is a worthy successor,

O.k, ok. lol

Based on some testing the speed of transcoding in Recode is faster with respect to Shrink (and the quality remains about the same).

I miss some really nice features from Shrink

I'm only aware of "'Set default audio/subtitle-streams' missing in Recode before Nero 7.8.5.0. Otherwise, the feature is there. Click the "Default Streams" button in the compilation window.

And Recode costs money, too.

That's true.

I'll stick with CloneDVD & Shrink, that's all you'll ever need.

All I need is Clonecd, Anydvd, and Verbatim +R DL blank media. ;)

Last edited:
I know it wasn't long when one was gone the other was gone. I did say "close" to the same time.

Decrypter was last updated 3/21/2005 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD_Decrypter), Shrink was last updated 7/25/2004 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dvd_shrink). Not too far apart. 8 months and change, as they say (whoever "they" are...)

Also those are both interesting to read.

Yeah . . .

"Legal status

On August 17, 2005, the official DVD Shrink website was updated to say that the site "is no more!", prompting many sites to mirror the latest DVD Shrink version and offer it for download. This was a result of DVD Shrink's web host receiving a Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) takedown notice, as compromising digital encryption is prohibited."

So while the author did abandon the program, the actual site was shutdown due to DMCA (and that's likely due to Shrink's ability to handle discs with CSS).

Yeah . . .

"Legal status

On August 17, 2005, the official DVD Shrink website was updated to say that the site "is no more!", prompting many sites to mirror the latest DVD Shrink version and offer it for download. This was a result of DVD Shrink's web host receiving a Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) takedown notice, as compromising digital encryption is prohibited."

So while the author did abandon the program, the actual site was shutdown due to DMCA (and that's likely due to Shrink's ability to handle discs with CSS).
Oh, I thought the author abandoned the program because of the takedown notice.

Oh, I thought the author abandoned the program because of the takedown notice.

The site was taken down over a year after the last Dvd Shrink update.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dvd_shrink

"Current version

The anonymous author of DVD Shrink announced that he will no longer continue further development of DVD Shrink. As of this writing, version 3.2.0.15 (released on July 25, 2004) is the latest, with any further releases targeting bug fixes. Some rumors suggest the author has moved to Nero in order to join the programming of Nero Recode. The interface and functionality of Nero Recode is very similar to DVD Shrink."

Back