• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Extracting DVD from ISO is really slow

thetoad

For whatever reason DVD ripping to hard disk (from a mounted ISO) is really slow. It shouldn't be this slow. DVD Decrypter can write out a de-css'd ISO in 2-3 minutes, but it takes anydvd 20-30+m to extract the image.

For context, in the same situation with bluray ISOs, anydvd can get 20-30MB/s read speed.

I can work around it, but its annoying.

Using AnyDVD to make ISOs from non-Blu-Ray disks is not a recommended function.
That warning pop up is there for a reason.
-W

Perhaps I wasn't clear, I'm not using anydvd to make an ISO.

I make a CSS encrypted ISO in linux (using ddrescue). AnyDVD can't decrypt a dvd ISO (as opposed to a bluray ISO which it can), so I decrypt it (but don't remove any other protections) with dvd decrypter. This makes another ISO. I then mount that ISO and use anydvd to remove any structural protections (i.e. normal VIDEO_TS type fs). This all works fine, but while creation of the original ISO is slow (as to be expected from reading from the physical drive), the dvd decrypter is fast (2-3minutes to decrypt the iso and write out a new one) and the anydvd portion is basically just as slow as the original read from physical disc (and its using the same mounting for both the decryption and the anydvd step, so I can't blame it on that).

I even wrote a small utility a while ago using libdvdcss that could actually decrypt an ISO in place (i.e. read scrambled sector, write out unscrambled sector), I've just found dvd decrypter to a be a bit more reliable.

Anydvd can decrypt DVD iso's just fine.

Sent from my Nexus 6P with Tapatalk

For whatever reason DVD ripping to hard disk (from a mounted ISO) is really slow. It shouldn't be this slow. DVD Decrypter can write out a de-css'd ISO in 2-3 minutes, but it takes anydvd 20-30+m to extract the image.

For context, in the same situation with bluray ISOs, anydvd can get 20-30MB/s read speed.

I can work around it, but its annoying.
AnyDVD does a full remaster. And it isn't really optimized for this purpose. CloneDVD2 should do it better. If you just want the files (no remaster), why not just drag & drop the files in explorer?

My bad then, thought it did. Any reason why not?

AnyDVD does a full remaster. And it isn't really optimized for this purpose. CloneDVD2 should do it better. If you just want the files (no remaster), why not just drag & drop the files in explorer?

the point of using anydvd is that I want to remove structural protections that might exist. If any such protections are removed from the FS view, I guess I'd be good at copying it too (thought that was basically what extract to hard disk did).

My bad then, thought it did. Any reason why not?
1.) No CSS keys in OPD. (Actually, DVD OPD is shut down for quite some time now). Brute force would work most of the time, but...
2.) Don't know if disc has CSS. Asking a virtual drive will always result in the same answer: "no CSS". Scanning the whole disc first if CSS might be present defeats the purpose of a real-time decrypter.
3.) Probably noone (except theotoad) needs this, because
4.) AnyDVD will not allow you to create protected isos from DVDs.

Good enough, and all very logical reasons. Thanks

hey, anyone who has scratched DVDs which wont rip reliably can make good use of my ddrescue methodology! :) but I agree, I'm probably one of the few people who need this. I've really really thought of embedding libdvdcss into ddrescue, but haven't gotten around to it.

@James in all honesty though, the amount of time it takes a BR to be scanned and OPD is probably similar to the amount of time it take to brute force all the keys for a DVD ISO (at least my experience with dvd decrypter, it doesn't take a long time to brute force all the keys that it can, but with the caveat, that not every VOB can be brute forced if they are too small)

Back