• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

DL DVD Copies

mcasabar

Hi All,

I am a registered user of AnyDVD 6.1.1.4. I had been using AnyDVD to rip DVDs and then going thru the following processes for DL DVD copying

1. Start AnyDVD
2. Place DVD in drive and use AnyDVD to rip DVD files to hard drive.
3. Use ImgBurn to then create the img file required for a Dual Layer DVD.
4. Burn DVD with ImgBurn.

I had some problems making a copy of Open Season. I could get thru all of the steps, but the DVD would only play the menu.

I decided to try CloneDVD2 version 2.9.0.3. Worked like a charm.

BUT, I have been reading this forum and have seen some posts stating that CloneDVD2 will not make the proper layer break. Instead, one should use CloneCD.

My question is this. Do I REALLY need to buy CloneCD and CloneDVD? Or can I just save some money and use ImgBurn to make the proper layer shift and create the img file?

I still plan to buy CloneDVD, because it makes compressing to a single layer DVD much easier....

Thanks,
Marlo Casabar
Keller, TX

BUT, I have been reading this forum and have seen some posts stating that CloneDVD2 will not make the proper layer break.

Clonedvd2 will work with Verbatim +R DL discs. Clonedvd2 just won't retain the original layer break position. It will be in a different spot if you use Clonedvd2.

Instead, one should use CloneCD.

This is what I prefer using. But I don't know about "should". You can still use Clonedvd2.

My question is this. Do I REALLY need to buy CloneCD and CloneDVD?

You don't need to. But I would suggest trying the free trial of Clonecd. Eventually, I think you'll realise using Clonecd is much easier than having to rip first and then use Imgburn. The process is automated with Clonecd (no switching programs).

Or can I just save some money and use ImgBurn to make the proper layer shift and create the img file?

I think most people rip with decrypter first and then load the mds file in Imgburn instead. But Clonecd is an easier solution, imo.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I will do what you say and download CloneCD. I have some projects this weekend and will definitely find out which is the best option. Of course, since you are the moderator, you probably have much more experience than I do with these programs and I would be smart to just go ahead and follow your advice and buy both CloneDVD and CloneCD!

Thanks for the help,
Marlo

Thanks for the info. I will do what you say and download CloneCD. I have some projects this weekend and will definitely find out which is the best option. Of course, since you are the moderator, you probably have much more experience than I do with these programs and I would be smart to just go ahead and follow your advice and buy both CloneDVD and CloneCD!

I want to make it clear I am not forcing these products down anyone's throat. I use them, and I like them. But you should try the free trials, of course, before you buy. If you buy Clonecd in the bundle, though, you will get a reduced price than if you bought it separately. This is something to consider should you want to buy Clonecd in the future.

This is a quick backup guide using Clonecd (with Verbatim +R DL media):

http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=327

Last edited:
Q re dual-layer dvd...?

For a dual-layer dvd: With AnyDVD running, and using CloneCD mentioned above, will the system write a dual-layer copy if a dual-layer blank is provided to a dual-layer writer drive? Thereby providing a better copy without the compression CloneCD2 has use in order to get the long movie on a single-layer disk. I've been wondering about this for some time.

Thanks!

K. :bowdown:

For a dual-layer dvd:

A bit of trivia . . .

dual layer = -R DL
double layer = +R DL

But most people now say "dual layer" thinking it means both.

With AnyDVD running, and using CloneCD mentioned above, will the system write a dual-layer copy if a dual-layer blank is provided to a dual-layer writer drive?

Yes

If you wish to retain the original layer break position, you must use +R DL media however with Clonecd.

Clonedvd2 will not retain the original layer break position, no matter what.

Thereby providing a better copy without the compression CloneCD2 has use in order to get the long movie on a single-layer disk.

Clonecd2 :confused:

Clonedvd2, you mean?

Clonecd is a 1:1 sector copier. Clonecd can not compress video at all.

Clonecd is what I use with Verbatim +R DL discs.

I use Clonedvd2 for single layer discs.
That said, it's still possible to use Clonedvd2 with Verbatim +R DL discs. But Clonedvd2 will not keep the original layer break position.

I've been wondering about this for some time.

I hope I answered your question, but I didn't fully understand it.

One More Question

Just wondering...does it really matter that the original layer break is not used? Will this cause problems during playback?

Marlo

Just wondering...does it really matter that the original layer break (position) is not used? Will this cause problems during playback?

Marlo

In theory, no. That said, I still prefer using Clonecd with Verbatim +R DL media. I haven't had any problems using this method, whereas I did
a couple of times with older versions of Clonedvd2.
James feels using good quality media is more important than the layer break position. So, basically it shouldn't matter.

However, if you happen to like where the pause (if you encounter a slight pause) is in the original movie (if it's placed somewhere so that it doesn't interrupt the flow of the movie), then you might want to preserve the original layer break position. In that case, you would need to use Clonecd.

By the way, you might be interested in this:

www.slysoft.com

"To celebrate our CEOs birthday (Feb 5) we offer you a special "Birthday Coupon".
Depending on whether you choose to buy, a single license, a double, triple bundle or the full package, this coupon has a value of $5 up to $20. To redeem the coupon just enter the

* coupon code: Giancarlo

in the coupon box at the bottom of the check-out form. Please note that this coupon is only valid until February, 6th 2007!

Have fun!"

Last edited:
So why do people make such a big deal about it?

Some people believe that the original layer break position may have been purposely placed in an area where it's least likely to interrupt the flow of the film. James feels that's not true. I suspect if it were once true, it probably isn't true any more. But I could be mistaken.

When you look at burn quality scans, errors tend to increase right around the layer break position. Using good quality media is, of course, important. Whether the placement of layer break position has any direct bearing on poor burn quality, I'm not sure (but I would be kind of skeptical).

Last edited:
Some people believe that the original layer break position may have been purposely placed in an area where its least likely to interrupt the flow of the film. James feels that's not true. I suspect if it was once true, it probably isn't true any more. But I could be mistaken.

When you look at burn quality scans, errors tend to increase right around the layer break position. Using good quality media is, of course, important. Whether the placement of layer break position has any direct bearing on poor burn quality, I'm not sure (but I would be kind of skeptical).
Thanks for clearing that up Web, you're too helpful. No wonder why you're a moderator. Good explanation. I never buy DL discs so this doesn't effect me.

I never buy DL discs so this doesn't effect me.

There was a huge sale last month on Verbatim +R DL in my area. The 20 dics spindles were on sale for about $20 U.S. funds. So, I'm pretty much using those for my backups now. And thank you for the compliment.

There was a huge sale last month on Verbatim +R DL in my area. The 20 dics spindles were on sale for about $20 U.S. funds. So, I'm pretty much using those for my backups now. And thank you for the compliment.
DL are expensive around here. It was like $17 for a 5 pack. That's why I don't use DL discs, there isn't a big difference in quality anyways.

Verbatrim +R Dual Layer where I live in the UK are around £2.89 each about $5.5 in your money, so expensive here. :(

DL backups, region codes?

Some interesting chatter on this. Comments on a couple of things being discussed here – I think that we all have been there in the instance(s) where we don’t get the correct audio stream. Like some of the other subjects under discussion, it may take a couple of coasters, but eventually it will work for you. :agree: I do agree that with the low cost of SL media (GOOD media, i.e. tayio yuden, others frm. Japan), it’s making more & more good sense to backup using 2 discs and NO compression than to compress with a loss of quality just to get everything on 1 SL disc. This is especially true with more of us going to HD viewing.
The use of CloneCD along with AnyDVD for backing up DL media, I find interesting. I normally use AnyDVD with CloneDVD2 when making DL backups. I have used nothing but Verbs for my DL’s, BUT I have also had some problems using this combo? This might be an answer for me here, but it has been a while since I’ve burned any DL’s. I have found that it DOES also make a difference on the player that you play the backups on. In my case, I have some problems with DL backups (used AnyDVD & CloneDVD2) when played in my Toshiba player. Yet I can take the same disc & play it on another player (Symphonic) and it plays fine. I always thought that the Toshiba would be a cut above the Symphonic since it is a more popular brand, maybe the Toshiba is just too particular or something? Then again, could be the layer break difference as discussed?
Was also wondering if anyone has any ideas or experiences with setting region codes when burning?

I have found that it DOES also make a difference on the player that you play the backups on.

Yes. To ensure your best chances for compatibility, read http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=327 and especially take a look at step 4.

I always thought that the Toshiba would be a cut above the Symphonic since it is a more popular brand, maybe the Toshiba is just too particular or something?

The price of a player is not an indication of whether it can read numerous different types and brands of blank media. For that matter, neither is the brand name.

Was also wondering if anyone has any ideas or experiences with setting region codes when burning?

I don't have a lot of experience in this area. I just use Anydvd to make my backups region free.

Verbatrim +R Dual Layer where I live in the UK are around £2.89 each about $5.5 in your money, so expensive here. :(

That is pricey. That's not my currency though. I was just converting for the sake of DetroitBaseball.

Last edited:
Webslinger...?

A bit of trivia . . .
I use Clonedvd2 for single layer discs.
That said, it's still possible to use Clonedvd2 with Verbatim +R DL discs. But Clonedvd2 will not keep the original layer break position

I use Verbatim exclusively...+R on single & +R DL on dual layer. Why is it I've had several +R DL back ups "freeze" at the break position. Was "told" using the Verbatim -R DL media would eliminate that. So, in order to maintain 90-100% comp. I usually split longer movie titles onto (2) +R medias...and not use DL media. I like short intermissions...head out to the Lobby to get a refreshment & change discs.
But, would like to know if using -R DL would correct the freeze problem? My signature tells what I'm using...Thanx!

I use Verbatim exclusively...+R on single & +R DL on dual layer. Why is it I've had several +R DL back ups "freeze" at the break position.

As in totally lock up? It might have been a bad burn. Some burners are a little better with +R DL media than others. Usually errors do increase right around the layer break position (you can see this in pi/po quality scans). It's also possible your standalone player doesn't read +R DL media very well.

If your burner's firmware is updated, and you're setting the booktype to "dvd-rom", there may not be much you can do. You might want to try lowering the burn speed, if possible.

As an alternative, you might want to try using Clonecd to see if that helps you.

http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=327

Was "told" using the Verbatim -R DL media would eliminate that.

I sincerely doubt it. -R DL media also has a limitation in that the layer break position cannot be changed at all.

But, would like to know if using -R DL would correct the freeze problem?

Unlikely, unless your standalone dvd player can't handle +R DL properly . . .

Last edited:
Back