• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

New AnyDVD scanning behavior for multiple drives

testiles

UHD Guru
Am I crazy or did AnyDVD change it's scanning behavior a few months ago concerning multiple drives?

I have at least 2 physical drives and a VCD drive on most of my computers.

If I'm not mistaken, in the past, when a new disk is loaded in one of the drives, AnyDVD would only scan that drive. Since I have "Show information window for new media" checked in program settings, the AnyDVD status window would pop up showing that drive and the results of AnyDVD's scan.

Now, it pops up, shows the scan results and just as you begin to read them, moves on to scan the other drives, even though none of them have had any discs loaded!

It's a minor thing I guess -- you just have to wait for it to finish and click back on the tab of the drive where the new disc is loaded -- but it is a real annoyance.

It also affects other things. For instance PowerDVD seems to default to the last drive AnyDVD scanned -- and often now that's not the one with the disc last mounted.

I'm just curious why AnyDVD is scanning drives with no "status" change now?

T

A little more info...

As I mentioned, I noticed this a while back but was working around it.

Why I decided to ask about it yesterday was because I was backing up some of my discs to disc, something I don't normally do (normally backup to HD).

My method is I put the blank disc in one drive, then the disc to be backed up in another. The disc to be backed up would normally immediately load in PDVD, where I'd check that all is well with it. Then on to ImgBurn to initiate the backup.

But PDVD was not loading the movie and kept saying there was no disc to play. Took a while to notice it was actually pointing to the drive with the blank disc.

That's because although I put the blank disc in first, when I mount the movie, AnyDVD is scanning all drives again with the drive with blank disc coming last.

So PDVD winds up pointing to that drive.

And that's when I decided to ask about this...

So, has anyone else noticed this? Is it new AnyDVD scanning behavior? Is there a setting that will make it just scan a drive where a disc is loaded and not re-scan all drives?

Thanks in advance.

T

Ok, so I guess nobody has encountered this or noticed it. Or maybe just nobody cares (lol).

And that's ok.

But @James could you just let me know if AnyDVD did change how it handles scanning multiple drives say within the past 3 or 4 months?

'Cause if it hasn't changed, then this may be a result of the recent Win 10 upgrades that have automatically been loading to my computers... or something else...

T

I have 3 ODD and have never encountered what you describe and I am on Windows 10 Pro.

@Jeff53404 because you do not see this I decided to do a controlled test.

I had only noticed this in the midst of ripping while multitasking but by a controlled test, I mean I emptied my 3 drives and added a disc to each one in succession.

I did this in Win 10 and on a Win 7 computer.

And for the life of me now I cannot re-create it.

There is specific situation which triggers this which I have yet to determine.

Sorry I generalized it thinking it was just multiple drive behavior.

I'll try to figure out what specific scenario is causing this the next time it comes up.

Thanks.

T

But @James could you just let me know if AnyDVD did change how it handles scanning multiple drives say within the past 3 or 4 months?
Not intentionally. But a lot of things have changed regarding disc recognition, maybe some side effect / bug?

And for the life of me now I cannot re-create it.

There is specific situation which triggers this which I have yet to determine.
Let me know, if you find a method to reproduce this problem.

Not intentionally. But a lot of things have changed regarding disc recognition, maybe some side effect / bug?
If it is a bug keep it in. I have seen similar behavior but it’s good. I’ve had issues where anydvd and windows won’t recognize a disc in the drive but with this feature it picks up the second disc.

Let me know, if you find a method to reproduce this problem.

James, I've been closely monitoring this but have not seen it happen again unless I change an AnyDVD setting. And in that case, all drives should absolutely re-scan.

So either I'm not having the issue any more or I still haven't revisited the scenario where it occurs or, and maybe more likely, this is a User bug (lol).

If it's the latter, sorry for the false alarm.

I'll keep monitoring though.

T

Back