• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

How to extract audio only from Bluray?

MK-Slinky

Hi guys, I'm just wondering if this is possible? I have quite a collection of concerts on Bluray and would like to extract the higher quality audio as a FLAC file if possible for use on other devices.

Is this do-able with CloneBD or a combination of other software?

Not that I know of no, at least not yet. You could try making an mkv first and then use a video conversion tool like VSO's to strip the audio out. Or you could check if that software 'DVD audio extractor' works on Blu-ray too. That's the only 2 options I can think off.

CloneBD cannot (yet at least) make an audio only file from (UHD) bd's.

Sent from my Nexus 6P with Tapatalk

Thanks CH3VRON,

I think you might be right, I had previously read that DVD Fab can extract the audio only but having used it once before I wasn't blown away with that tool. I'm guessing it's something that many people will find useful if it were ever added to CloneBD or even AnyDVD for that matter. Just to be clear though I'm trying to extract it from a regular Bluray, not a UHD. One of the discs that I'm keen to extract the audio from is an audio only disc which contains the following three audio tracks:

24 Bit 96 kHz PCM 2.0

24 Bit 96 kHz DTS HD Master Audio 2.0

Dolby Digital True HD 2.0

It sounds fabulous on my cinema system which can also play high resolution flac or wav music files so extracting the audio to flac and play from a thumb drive would be ideal.

Something for the future perhaps?

Cheers :)

Should work with ffmpeg. Are the audio files inside a m2ts file and do you know that file? If so, then try e.g.:

ffmpeg -i D:\BDMV\STREAM\00023.m2ts -vn -dn -c:a flac -y audio.flac

This should select the best audio stream available. If you want to extract a specific audio track, e.g. the first audio track, then try:

ffmpeg -i D:\BDMV\STREAM\00023.m2ts -map 0:a:0 -c:a flac -y audio.flac

@fornit

Hi there, thanks for your advice :) Actually when I went to bed last night I kept wondering if Audacity might be able to extract the audio, it manages to do it with most other files I've tried. After reading your advice about ffmpeg I got quite excited as I do have ffmpeg installed into Audacity and so I decided to take a look.

The original Bluray I'm keen on working with does indeed contain an m2ts file, several in fact inside a folder labelled 'Stream'. As it happens the first one in that list which is also the largest contains everything that I need including all three audio tracks. I checked the codec information using VLC Media Player.

Moving on.., I've copied the m2ts to the desktop and imported it directly into Audacity and I'm listening to it as we speak. All that remains is to export the audio back out to my chosen format which in this case is flac ;)

So in brief if anyone else wishes to do the same and extract audio only from a bluray here's how:

1. Load the Bluray into your PC and find the m2ts file you require, you can check if it's the correct one by playing it with VLC Media Player

2. Using Windows Explorer copy the correct m2ts to your hard drive

3. Open Audacity and on the file menu select 'Import Audio' and choose the m2ts file you copied to your hard drive

4. Edit the resulting file if necessary and export the audio to your chosen format :)

Thanks to @fornit for your advice, it's much appreciated :)

Keep in mind, that procedure will not always work. The majority of blu-ray uses seamless transition m2ts files, or in other words the main movie is split into multiple smaller fragments.

Sent from my Nexus 6P with Tapatalk

@Ch3vr0n

Thanks, I'll bear that in mind. I guess I'm still learning this stuff but always welcome advice from more experienced folk :) I suppose it's still possible to stitch tracks together though, even if they are split into smaller fragments.

Have you tried giving DVD Audio Extractor from Computer Application Studio (CAS) a shot? It also supports Blu-ray. Not sure if these concert discs are standard Blu-ray or audio-only but it can't hurt to test things out. I would assume it does but I have no audio-only discs to test with. 30 day free trial to see if it does what you want. I've used it for years for my needs in extracting audio from DVD & Blu-ray.

Obviously, use AnyDVD & CloneBD to remove unwanted junk first.

@DrinkLyeAndDie

Thanks for the suggestion, I did notice @Ch3vr0n had mentioned that one previously and it's quite possible I have used it in the past, I've used so many of these different programs. With the exception to the Audio only Bluray disc which I successfully extracted to flac yesterday the rest are just standard Bluray (Video & Audio) which I haven't tried yet but I'm happy to stitch tracks together if needs be using Audacity. It's part of the fun for me and it makes it more personal being able to adjust crowd applause length or even remove tracks I don't like.

@DrinkLyeAndDie

Thanks for the suggestion, I did notice @Ch3vr0n had mentioned that one previously and it's quite possible I have used it in the past, I've used so many of these different programs. With the exception to the Audio only Bluray disc which I successfully extracted to flac yesterday the rest are just standard Bluray (Video & Audio) which I haven't tried yet but I'm happy to stitch tracks together if needs be using Audacity. It's part of the fun for me and it makes it more personal being able to adjust crowd applause length or even remove tracks I don't like.

Use BD Info to find the correct MPLS file then load that MPLS into tsMuxer and untick everything except the audio you want, select Demux option and away you go.

You can convert the resultant audio to any format you then wish. Eac3to is a good tool for that purpose. You can also add external codec's.

Wiki has explanations how to use Eac3to command line functions.

@chromaburst,

Can you clarify what you mean by " Use BD Info to find the correct MPLS file then load that MPLS into tsMuxer " ? Do I do that using tsMuxer? Likewise, what is a MPLS file ?

I did briefly look at tsMuxer but that tool seems to over complicate the process. As it stands I can just find the BD file I want to use in Windows Explorer and load it directly into Audacity and save to chosen format.

Perhaps I misunderstand tsMuxer and what it can do for me?

an MPLS file is the playlist that tells the player (Like PowerDVD or any standalone) which clips (m2ts files) to play and in which order. This is particularly important for discs using seemless branching i mentioned before. BDinfo is a tiny software tool that'll enable you to find the proper playlist file (eg 00800.mpls) IF the title has been properly decrypted first.

Afaik tsmuxer can load mpls files

@chromaburst,

Can you clarify what you mean by " Use BD Info to find the correct MPLS file then load that MPLS into tsMuxer " ? Do I do that using tsMuxer? Likewise, what is a MPLS file ?

I did briefly look at tsMuxer but that tool seems to over complicate the process. As it stands I can just find the BD file I want to use in Windows Explorer and load it directly into Audacity and save to chosen format.

Perhaps I misunderstand tsMuxer and what it can do for me?

An MPLS file is a bit like a recipe list, it contains information as which m2ts file(s) make up that particular Movie or whatever.
It may only have one m2ts file or as many as is required to make up that program.

For example, if a Movie has different versions on the same disk, there will be an MPLS file for each version, and each of those MLPS files will have a collection of m2ts files listed that will vary for the different versions of the Movie, i.e. a different recipe for each version.

Unfortunately, more recently, this has been used for a different reason, but that's another matter.

(These files are found in the BDMV folder on the Blu Ray Disk. MPLS files are in a sub folder called PLAYLIST, and m2ts files are found in a sub folder called STREAM. As said, MPLS files are the recipe files and the m2ts files contain the muxed video/audio/subtitle information.)

1. Google videohelp

2. Select software
(that will take you to the videohelp website software page)

3. In the search text box type BDinfo
and download BDinfo.
To use BDinfo, just open it and browse to the disk drive the Blu Ray is in and then click Rescan. (This will also work for a disk that has been ripped and saved to a folder or a mounted ISO.)

repeat for tsmuxer

install them

Play with them, its the best way to learn.

Last edited:
Okay this has all got a bit confusing now, I did say I'm still learning these things. That said I'm grateful for the advice and will certainly investigate this further, hopefully once I start looking into it things will become much clearer. :)

I just downloaded tsMuxer and will take a look for BDInfo now.

Thanks again for the advice :)

@chromaburst

LOL.., you replied while I was still typing! Thank you for the additional explanations. I certainly don't think the above methods are beyond my comprehension, it's just that as I've never used or even heard of these programs the discussion is hard to follow right now.

As I said previously I've downloaded tsMuxer and will install both that and BDInfo and have a play around. Like you say.., "it's the best way to learn" :)

use tsmuxer ..open the m2ts file of ur bluray and choose demux ..then u will get the audio as 1 file ..for instance a .dts file hope this will help

@sander101

Sorry I missed your reply!

I've just been experimenting with tsmuxer and I like it very much ;) As an experiment I just loaded a file from a DVD which I backed up using CloneDVD and I was surprised that I could pick my preferred audio option to output. I like my multi-track surround sound wherever possible and so I chose the 5.1 audio track as a test and started the demux operation as you suggested. I wasn't sure what type of file it would save as but it resulted in an 5.1 AC3 file. Unfortunately loading that file into Audacity and attempting to save the multi-track audio as a FLAC file failed, apparently Audacity merges multi-tracks to a single mono file :(

Does anyone know of a good program which will save the multi-track audio as a Flac?

5.1 is in a single track too. You're mixing up multi-channel with multi-track. Multi-track: multiple audio tracks (of same or diff language), all of which can be 5.1 multi-channel.

But other than that, maybe try a google on "ac3 to mp3" or something

Okay things just improved! I read the help files of Audacity and mutli-channel Flac's are possible as an output format, a change is necessary in the preferences menu ;)

I did another test using tsmuxer and extracted the audio from Maze Runner - Death Cure 7.1 DTS. The resulting file was indeed 7.1 DTS

However.., inporting the above into Audacity resulted in only 6 channels, I'm not sure why but anyway I exported the multi-channel audio as a Flac file and I've ended up with a 5.1 Flac

Somewhere along the way Audacity has removed 2 channels, bizarre! Still I don't mind 5.1 and can happily live with that :)

Last edited:
Back