• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Dumping & Downgrading firmware on UHD Friendly Devices. (OUTDATED)

Thanks for the info - there are many options listed on the first post. Are any better/easier than the rest?

Thanks

Prinicpially only one of all the sections is the most important: At first (really at first order) dumping your original unit's firmware.

Principially at first, you can blind out (ignore) all that text sections +its sub-steps (further down), which are NOT related to dumping firmware.
In Teddys guide: first you principially have to concentrate only on one paragraph section, related to making the original unit's firmware dump:
1) "Steps for dumping firmware : (Windows Method)"
"Download the Windows 7 Live (Portable Edition) ISO from here."
"Use Rufus and select the ISO image previously downloaded and prepare the USB stick"
{...} <=Addional rest sub-steps
----
or
2) "Steps for dumping firmware : (DOS Method)"
1. Prepare an USB FreeDOS bootable stick, using Rufus (which can be downloaded here)."
{...} <=Addional rest sub-steps 2. - 10.

-
Both two dumping methods share in common:
=>1) and 2) both use Dosflash (in different versions)
a) "Prepare an USB FreeDOS bootable stick, using Rufus"
b)"Be sure to connect your ASUS/LG drive alone, as SATA Primary Master (USE SATA1 or b)SATA2 controller ports)"
c)"Enable CMS in BIOS option in order to boot from the USB stick (NOT UEFI !!!!)...
d) ...and configure SATA controller as IDE !!"
---

So I see no advantage in "Steps for dumping firmware : (Windows Method)" over "Steps for dumping firmware : (DOS Method)"

You can decide on which paragraph 1) or 2) you want to focuse. I personally found that one the easiest:
2)"Steps for dumping firmware : (DOS Method)"

There's also 3rd Dump method Devilsclaw's, but you can ignore it: "Steps for dumping firmware : (Devilsclaw's Method only for old firmwares)"
"It is important that the dumped firmware must be the DOSFLASH dump and not the Devilsclaw's one !!
"I've written "for old firmwares" because, it seems that the latest ASUS/LG firmwares, which fixes the AACS 1.0 loophole (for UHD reading), inhibit the devilsclaw's flasher and you could not be able to have a valid dump."
---
Please make a copy of the original dump on several places, HDDs or USB-sticks, because if Windows reformatted/reinstalled, or if the storage device gets broken.
---

You can regard the other text/sections in behind later, after having original dump. :)

Last edited:
Dear respected forum readers, I wondered if someone might be able to help. I purchased an ASUS BW-16D1HT that came with firmware 3.02 which did not read any UHD discs, so I followed TeddyRaspin’s great instructions and created a custom UHD Friendly firmware downgrade (based on 3.01) which I have applied but am having mixed results with.

I have an AnyDVD license (running v8.2.5.0), and I have also been testing MakeMVK v1.12.2.
For the latter, I have keys_hashed.txt from 30/05/2018 stored in C:\Users\Adam\.MakeMKV

Some UHD discs that I have never been able to successfully rip are:
  • Blue Planet II
  • Deadpool
An example of the error message I have seen is in "Screenshot 2018-06-07 08.35.35 AnyDVD Failed to send host key.png"

It APPEARED that I had successfully ripped the following with AnyDVD to .iso:
  • BLUE_PLANET_II_D1.iso
  • HARRY_POTTER_CHAMBER_SECRETS.iso
  • HARRY_POTTER_PRISONER_AZKABAN.iso
However Handbrake v1.1.0 shows all of these 50GB+ rips as only being 10 seconds long…

MakeMKV on the other hand does seem to have successfully ripped ‘Wonder Woman’ and ‘Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban’ UHD discs, because Handbrake shows them as being full length files which can be converted.

I’m guessing that my problem is probably with the drive/firmware, rather than AnyDVD…

I have attached my backup Dump.bin, the flash_ASUS_BW-16D1HT_3.01_withMyDump.bin which I generated with HxD Hex Editor, and a short AnyDVDripper_log_E Deadpool.txt which indicates that Deadpool had bad sectors, as well as some screenshots.

I did try cleaning the Deadpool disc with an alcohol swab, but it made no difference.

Would any other log files help here?

Many thanks in advance,
Adam

edit: Bin files now attached in .zip

Attachments

• Screenshot 2018-06-02 11.19.35 MakeMKV errors reading disc.png
    Screenshot 2018-06-02 11.19.35 MakeMKV errors reading disc.png
    335.5 KB · Views: 11
  • AnyDVDripper_log_E Deadpool.txt
    104 bytes · Views: 5
  • Screenshot 2018-06-02 22.58.01 AnyDVD Error reading from drive.png
    Screenshot 2018-06-02 22.58.01 AnyDVD Error reading from drive.png
    115.5 KB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot 2018-06-07 08.35.35 AnyDVD Failed to send host key.png
    Screenshot 2018-06-07 08.35.35 AnyDVD Failed to send host key.png
    368.6 KB · Views: 9
  • Dump and Flash bin files.zip
    2.6 MB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Hi again TeddyRaspin. Hoping you have the time to fix the dumped fw for my new be16nu50. Thanks in advance...

Attachments

• BE16NU50_1.02.zip
    1.3 MB · Views: 7
@TeddyRaspin
Hi Teddy,
I also have a LG WH16NS60 "Real" UHD drive firmware 1.01. Can you use my firmware to turn it into a ASUS or LG "UHD Friendly" drive?
I really appreciate your help!
Thanks!

Attachments

• WH16NS60 randomgeo.rar
    1.2 MB · Views: 10
@randomgeo

Here is your modded firmware.
Thank you so very much Teddy, the firmware took and converted my LG WH16NS60 "Real" UHD drive into a LG BH16NS55. I'll test and if there is anything to report, I'll post it. Seems to be working perfectly. Thank you so much again for your time!

Last edited:
You can even crossflash it to ASUS BW-16D1HT which rips faster than LG. ;)

@TeddyRaspin
I'd love to try that! Do you have a firmware mod that I could try flashing with? What you gave me works perfectly, but faster is always better if you have the time to help me out with that ASUS mod?

Last edited:
@randomgeo

Extract the zip content, run .exe, load the .bin file included, select LG BH16NS55 and flash it. After reboot your drive will be detected as ASUS
and will rip faster than before.

Attachments

• ASUS302.zip
    3 MB · Views: 37
I haven't been following this discussion in detail, but I believe, there is a whole lot of information throughout it, worth condensing into a single post.
This thread is getting a lot of attention and we have nearly 400 posts here, which means, that everyone who is seeking for information on the topic, has to work through all of it.

So, anyone who has kept track of it: it would be really cool, if you could extract the bare information, compile it to a concise post, then I'll stick it and unstick this thread (keeping it open, though).

@Pete

My goal was (and it is) to write a detailed guide for any user and to do the job for themselves, but I was wrong. This thread has become worse than a "first aid",
and it's due to my infinite generosity and effort to help people. I think it's time to say stop to all of this.

Best wishes to anyone.

The game is over.

I think it's time to say stop to all of this.
Hmm, that is a surprising and unexpected reaction to my request, but sure.
My though was exactly that: filter all the useful information and tips and put them together, so everyone can follow the steps without needing further guidance.

The main problem is that guide are written to be carefully read. I think most users want to do things as faster as they can and this is not the right way to do that.

This situation can be solved only if I will avoid to offer modded fw for each users, as my trend would make useless the guide itself.

So guys, just follow my guide or don't ask anymore for specific modded fw. Thanks.

Or just ask for a couple € or $ (depending what you like) for the time and effort. I did warn you this was gonna happen if you didn't start asking something :p ;-)

Sent from my Nexus 6P with Tapatalk

Hey @ All,

I would like to downgrade the UHD player LG BE16NU50 (which is an external USB device, and inside is just a PCB with a LG BH16NS50 model).

The external player is taken apart, and I have access to the uderlying LG BH16NS50 SATA port + I did read, and understood, the guide :D

The problem is, that my BIOS does not support both options (CMS + IDE). However, I would be willing to just buy another cheap motherboard (+ cpu) to do it.

Could someone recommend me a configuration for which the downgrading will work? - Thx in advance.

@teddy: Sorry for just coming in and asking another question after you closed the thread. But I hope, as this question is quite unrelated to the guide, that someone who already successfully downgraded can answer it :)

@TeddyRaspin
I do much appreciate your help, especially here in the 11th hour. Really sorry to see you go.
A quick question before I perform the cross flash to the Asus BW-16D1HT_302.
I use both AnyDVD and DVDfab. If the drive is no longer recognized by DVDfab after converting to an Asus, would the. exe program that you attached allow me to change it back to LG? As before, thank you so much for your generous time and help!

Back