• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

[Resolved] Slow conversion

All thumbs

Hi all
I've just downloaded the trial version of Clone DVD mobile to format my DVDs for use on a Zen:M.

I have tried to convert a couple of movies with similar results. That is, very slow conversion taking over three hours to convert 5 minutes of standard DVD .VOB files to .AVI, before I cancelled the process.

My PC is a 2.8g machine with 1gig of ram on board and 200gig of free HDD.

Can someone please give me a pointer on how to speed up the process.

a) Is DMA enabled for your drives in
i) Windows XP?
ii) Windows Vista?
iii) general?

b) Is the original source disc bad? If so, the reading process will take longer.
Download Nero cd-dvd speed. It's a free program. Select the tab labeled "scandisc". Select the appropriate drive letter, and click "start". If Nero cd-dvd speed reports read errors, your disc is bad and needs to be exchanged--even if it plays fine (or your optical drive could be slowly dying).

c) Try another cable on the back of your burner (try an 80 wire cable if you have an ide burner). Maybe your existing cable has gone bad.

d) Try defragmenting your hard drive.

DMA activated

I've checked the DMA and it was active for both DVD R/W.

I also copied the DVD onto the HDD and ran Clone DVD mobile with no real difference in the processing time.

Next I used 1Click to convert the DVD files into another folder and tried Clone DVD mobile on these files with no difference in the processing time.

The HDD indicates that defrag is not necessary.

Nothing has increased the speed of the conversion process.

I also copied the DVD onto the HDD and ran Clone DVD mobile with no real difference in the processing time.

Next I used 1Click to convert the DVD files into another folder and tried Clone DVD mobile on these files with no difference in the processing time.

Then unless peer has some other advice, the limitation may be your system specs/hardware.

I would Defrag - Regardless of the Indication

- and -

Even though DMA is reported active for both DVD R/Ws
I would also -
Try Refreshing You IDE/DVD Drivers
( similar procedure for Resetting DMA )
Use this Link for reference :
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=101616

> Go into your Device Manager
> UN install Any/ All DVD/CD Drives ( yes - if - Both )
( Right Click on DVD/CD Drive > Select Uninstall )
If asked to Restart - Reply= "Not Yet"
> UN install the corresponding IDE Channel
> Turn Your Computer OFF
and then > Restart
>> Reboot Again

This will force the Reinstall of the Drivers - Refreshing the Drivers
- which may correct any 'communication' issues/corruption

;)

Then unless peer has some other advice, the limitation may be your system specs/hardware.

No, sorry, I don't.
And 3 hours for 5 minutes of DVD material is far beyond anything I would expect a solar powered pocket calculator to take...
Something must be really screwed up there...

PC problems

Firstly, thanks for the feedback. It's great to get such prompt help with these problems.

I have loaded Clone DVD Mobile on my office machine and repeated the process with excellent results. 13 minutes taken to convert 40 minutes of video.

The performance specs on my home PC are significantly better than the office laptop, so I must have a hardware/software bug in there somewhere.

I'll try the rest of your suggestions before blowing the system away and starting again.

Firstly, thanks for the feedback. It's great to get such prompt help with these problems.

I have loaded Clone DVD Mobile on my office machine and repeated the process with excellent results. 13 minutes taken to convert 40 minutes of video.

The performance specs on my home PC are significantly better than the office laptop, so I must have a hardware/software bug in there somewhere.

I'll try the rest of your suggestions before blowing the system away and starting again.

While I doubt this is going to help, perhaps we should take a look at your filters as well.

1. a) Download imgburn. It's a free program: http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download
(it's also an excellent program imo)

b) Go to Tools > Filter Driver Load Order. Click "Clipboard". Then paste the information you pasted into your clipboard into your next post (ctrl-v).

2. Also Click this

Do what it says to do if you have XP and an ide burner/optical drive.

Success

Uninstalling the DVD burners and secondary IDE did the trick. After rebooting per the instructions Clone DVD Mobile has started operating at what I assume is the proper speed.

I converted my first movie and copied onto the Zen in 50 minutes.

Once again thanks for the great advice and tips.

Back