• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Intel SGX and Z170

DrinkLyeAndDie

Retired Moderator
SGX has been discussed quite a bit with respect to PowerDVD, UHD playback, etc. I have previously posted about how I was able to download and install SGX on my Z170-based system and after doing so my system passed the SGX tests.

I recently became aware that my system no longer had SGX installed and would not pass the SGX test. I noticed when for some reason I saw that CyberLink had released an updated UHD/Blu-ray advisor version. The previous version I had installed was quite literally a year old. Why would my system now fail? A number of things have occurred recently:

1. I installed a newer BIOS for my Z170-based motherboard to mitigate as much of the recent Spectre vulnerabilities as possible. This also resolved some other issues like updating Intel ME to deal with a previously discovered vulnerability.
  2. I updated from Windows 10 1709 to Windows 10 1803.

Somewhere in that time frame SGX went up in smoke.

The new CyberLink advisor told me that my system failed SGX and had a little note and I believe a link to more info and that was that. I decided to roll back to the previous version. I ran the test, my system failed, but as I commented in prior discussions the advisor asked me if I wanted to install SGX, I said yes, it downloaded SGX for me, and ran the installer. Unfortunately, I was informed that my system didn't meet the requirements. This did not happen previously. So, it would seem that Intel & others realized that people were doing this and decided to make things more strict. Now, did I really gain anything out of having SGX installed? Not that I am aware. But, I'm still a bit annoyed.

Last edited:
When updating the bios, settings are reset to default. I had igpu enabled on 3703 and after updating to build 3801 for our board, it wasn't enabled anymore. It's logical to assume the same applies to the SGX setting on the board.

When updating the bios, settings are reset to default. I had igpu enabled on 3703 and after updating to build 3801 for our board, it wasn't enabled anymore. It's logical to assume the same applies to the SGX setting on the board.

After the BIOS update I reset my motherboard settings, then set to optimized defaults (?), and then tweaked. I didn't touch the SGX. The setting in my BIOS is either disabled or software controlled. It's currently set to software controlled which it was previously. It's very possible Intel simply added more checks into the installation process and it blocks installation on Z170, period.

I'll grab the updated advisor and see what it does. I'll let you know. Got any links to the sgx installer or something?

Sent from my Nexus 6P with Tapatalk

I'll grab the updated advisor and see what it does. I'll let you know. Got any links to the sgx installer or something?

One method was to sign up for some Intel developer thing which I did once upon a time. Once you did you could download the SGX framework installer. I long since lost that information and I believe you had to login to download. The other method which was easier was the older CyberLink advisor. It actually did the work for you by downloading and running the SGX installer. I never saved the downloaded SGX installer file which, in hindsight, I wish I had.

Edit: I believe this is where my journey began to sign up for the Intel Developer stuff: https://software.intel.com/en-us/sgx-sdk. It was free.

I registered a dummy account. I'll send you the sgx installer over my g-drive in pm.

I registered a dummy account. I'll send you the sgx installer over my g-drive in pm.

It doesnt say anything about WINDOWS 1803
Supported Operating Systems for Intel® SGX SDK installer:

• Microsoft Windows* 7 64 bit
  • Microsoft Windows® 10, 64 bit, Version 1511
  • Microsoft Windows® 10 Anniversary Update, 64 bit, Version 1607

Worth a try, it's the latest available for download. Maybe it works.

I'm running Windows 10 Enterprise, huh? ;) Nope.

2018-05-23_155923.png

Very possible that this is why the download provided by the older CyberLink advisor also fails except the failure doesn't give any specifics for the advisor download & install.

It's possible that RedFox 1 is correct and that the issue is compatibility. That doesn't seem logical, however, because you would expect a release for SGX to be out that supports 1803 before 1803 even went public. We'll see. In the grand scheme of things this is somewhat meaningless but I had it installed before so it's something that just irks me.

Same error here, and i'm definitely not running enterprise lol. Most likely the installer needs an update. As to the SGX getting "lost". It's not the first time MS would uninstall something during an upgrade to make sure it goes "smooth"

New Cumulative update this morning
View attachment 42695

I got it last night:

May 23, 2018—KB4100403 (OS Build 17134.81):

Note This release also contains updates for Microsoft HoloLens (OS Build 17134.80) released May 22, 2018.

Improvements and fixes

This update includes quality improvements. No new operating system features are being introduced in this update. Key changes include:

• Addresses an issue in Internet Explorer that might cause communication between web workers to fail in certain asynchronous scenarios with multiple visits to a web page.
  • Addresses additional issues with updated time zone information.
  • Addresses an issue where closed-caption settings are preserved after upgrade.
  • Addresses a reliability issue that may cause Microsoft Edge or other applications to stop responding when you create a new audio endpoint while audio or video playback is starting.
  • Addresses an issue that may cause Windows Hello enrollment to fail on certain hardware that has dGPUs.
  • Addresses an issue with power regression on systems with NVMe devices from certain vendors.
If you installed earlier updates, only the new fixes in this package will be downloaded and installed on your device.

For more information about the resolved security vulnerabilities, see the Security Update Guide.

Back