• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

AACS 2.1 is OUT!

Balthazar2k4

Just a heads up for those thinking about picking up Fury on 4K Blu. It has AACS 2.1 on it. Currently crashes MakeMKV. DeUHD on the other hand did at least read the disc and upload the information for it. Very unfortunate development.

I was looking for information about AACS 2.1 anywhere

How can this be? Not even stand-alone players could play a disc with a new version of AACS. This doesn't make any sense....

Says who? New aacs versions come out all the time for standard Blu-ray. Standalone players don't have any issues with those either. That's perfectly normal, because they have hardwired legitimate decryption key. They won't have any issues with this 'aacs 2.1' if that's even true

Sent from my Nexus 6P with Tapatalk

I am intrigued by this... but, what is AACS 2.1? What info exists on it? Is it really AACS 2.1 or have the powers that be hardened a point of weakness in the system without actually changing how it operates? Clearly, they only changed what is on the disc end of things but whatever it is is apparently enough to "break" decryption. At this point things are too nebulous.

Last edited:
I have no idea if it is officially called AACS 2.1. That is the term MakeMKV uses and when I try to process the disc for a dump so that Mike can generate keys it just crashes. This occurs on all of my drives. I did manage to upload information through DeUHD so it will be interesting to see who sorts this out first. I have also provided Mike files per his request. Out of the 283 discs I own this is a first. I will be curious to see if The Patriot (another Sony title) has it as well.

Just a heads up for those thinking about picking up Fury on 4K Blu. It has AACS 2.1 on it. Currently crashes MakeMKV. DeUHD on the other hand did at least read the disc and upload the information for it. Very unfortunate development.
I would love to see an AnyDVD logfile from this disc.

The Patriot has been confirmed to also have the revised AACS. Looks like Sony is the first to roll it out.

As requested... one log file. Not sure why I can't connect to the OPD, but I assume that won't skew the results in this case.
Thanks. The OPD error is probably caused because of the "AACS 2.1" (or whatever you want to call it) thing.

Hope they don't pull a screen lock on UHD. If they force call in feature kiss UHD support goodbye as the keys will be on servers and not on the disks. This will make it impossible for UHD friendly drives to extract UHD disk contents. Don't own this movie on UHD yet. If I come across new ones I'll help.

I asked to the deuhd's guys and they are aware too, and said that are already working on it ...

Not sure if another log is helpful. I also get the "cannot connect" error from the Fury UHD disc.

Attachments

• AnyDVD_8.2.5.0_Info_J_FURY.ziplog
    2.6 MB · Views: 11
Mike Chen posted about "AACS 2.1". I'm reposting it here for educational purposes since not everyone would read it there or elsewhere:

Here is a list of known AACS versions and some technical notes on them. All names are "official", that's how they are referred in documentation / software.

AACS 1.0 - currently used on all Blu-ray discs
AACS 1.0/Class II - documented publicly, never used on any discs.
AACS 2.0/Category C - evolutionary improvement of AACS 1.0, used on UHD discs.
AACS 2.1/Category C - same as Class II to AACS1.0 - Used on UHD Fury and Patriot on 22.05.2018
AACS 2.x/Category B - never used so far
AACS 2.x/Category A - never used so far

Key-wise 1.0, 2.0 and 2.1 are independent - with the same MKB version the same device can be revoked in one AACS branch and be non-revoked in another. For example a device can be revoked in v61 AACS 2.0 MKB but can be live in 1.0 v61 and 2.1 v61. Any combination is possible.

In AACS 2.x the "decryption" process (by a player) is rather different from AACS 1.0 - compliant device not only decrypts the content but also actively meddles with it. Forensic mark is always inserted into video stream at the decryption layer. This mark contains player model and serial number along with environmental details. This information is preserved in video stream and survives screen / HDMI capture...

Source link: MakeMKV forum post

Last edited:
I wonder what tool can be used to detect this mark so I can test my captured file if this is the case.

Attachments

• 4C18BC32-30AA-48B9-9F51-059C8A6626C1.jpeg
    4C18BC32-30AA-48B9-9F51-059C8A6626C1.jpeg
    315.3 KB · Views: 87
  • 3E189559-072F-4051-9077-7860EE7D5347.jpeg
    3E189559-072F-4051-9077-7860EE7D5347.jpeg
    221.5 KB · Views: 57
I'm sure as this progressively gets higher on the ladder the forced call in feature to get 1\2 encrypt key will be reinforced. 1\2 will be on the UHD and the remaining on their server. No call in no movie. They are not doing this now as not everyone had internet connection. Could be a system like giving then number printed on package and calling in like what happens with win10 activation offline on phone and they give you a key to punch into your player (Street lock cough cough.....) It's coming .......watch guys.....it is in the white paper on UHD enforcement. They only mention internet and a remote server holding keys. Watch hackers break into UHD servers lol release all the master keys.....

Last edited:
But u can’t revoke player once it’s off line
And fury played fine with out being connected to the net.

Back