• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

PAL to NTSC conversion software

Dazed

I'm looking for suggestions on PAL to NTSC conversion software for DVD's with PAL format. I have spent days searching this forum without success. I am not concerned about minor resolution loss. I use BD Rebuilder to produce a DVD series backup and have some minor file restrictions which negatively affected use of a couple of software I've already tested.

Thanks for the help.
dazed

I'm looking for suggestions on PAL to NTSC conversion software for DVD's with PAL format. I have spent days searching this forum without success. I am not concerned about minor resolution loss. I use BD Rebuilder to produce a DVD series backup and have some minor file restrictions which negatively affected use of a couple of software I've already tested.

Thanks for the help.
dazed

Take a look at VSO Software.
They should have what you looking for.
Its called DVD Converter.

Most transcoders, like HandBrake, can handle the dimensional and color encoding differences. The real trick is dealing with the 4% speed up. I use ffmpeg with "-vf setpts=25025/24000*PTS" and "-af atempo=0.959040959040959", to slow the video and audio, respectively. This converts 25 fps to 24. Note that this assumes the video is progressive. If it is telecined, interlaced, needs decimating, etc., you'll have to deal with those accordingly. Also, if the audio has been pitch-corrected for the speed up, you may want to correct it again when you slow it down (I've never done this, but I think Audacity can).

Thanks for the help.
dazed
Maybe it would be easier to get a PAL/NTSC DVD player?
https://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DVD-S700-Up-Converting-Region-Player/dp/B004QIPKNY

Hello Forum: Now that anydvd hd 8.2.3.0 here and working fine. I presume that I will not need to use my Any dvd converter that I purchased a week
or so ago from VSO.com.
The reason I am asking this question is that my granddaughter has a few dvd's from region 5 (Russia) and since they will not play on her dvd player they
need to me converted to region 1.

Software Region Code

Removes the Region Code from the DVD. The DVD will appear region free to all software.

Hello Forum: Now that anydvd hd 8.2.3.0 here and working fine. I presume that I will not need to use my Any dvd converter that I purchased a week
or so ago from VSO.com.
The reason I am asking this question is that my granddaughter has a few dvd's from region 5 (Russia) and since they will not play on her dvd player they
need to me converted to region 1.

Software Region Code

Removes the Region Code from the DVD. The DVD will appear region free to all software.
You'd need to check if region 5 uses NTSC as region 1 does. Just because you make it region free with AnyDVD, won't magically turn it from PAL video to NTSC based.

Sent from my Nexus 6P with Tapatalk

Thank you Ch3vr0n for your reply. When my son sends me the dvd's in question I will first try dvd-hd 8.2.3.0 first to see if it does what I need.
If not then I will use my dvd converter. I will get back to you with the results. Again thank you for your reply.

Thank you Ch3vr0n for your reply. When my son sends me the dvd's in question I will first try dvd-hd 8.2.3.0 first to see if it does what I need.
If not then I will use my dvd converter. I will get back to you with the results. Again thank you for your reply.
AnyDVD will only make the discs region free, if it can crack the probable CSS on the discs. It'll be harder due to region mismatch. AnyDVD will NOT convert from PAL to NTSC.

Sent from my Nexus 6P with Tapatalk

I don't know where Dazed is originally from but PAL/NTSC has not been an issue since the late 80's. That is when the older CRT TV's were slowly being replaced by modern TV's.
As Ch3vr0n has indicated, Region coding still is a factor throughout the world but someday hopefully it will be eradicated and we will have truly universal border-free media :)

NTSC is predominant in U.S., Canada, Mexico, most areas of Central & South America, Japan, Taiwan, and Korea.
PAL is predominant in U.K., Germany, Spain, Portugal, Italy, China, India, Australia, most of Africa and the Middle East.

My business partner and I have traveled to most of those countries over the last 30+ years for our business dealings and we have never, I repeat, NEVER had an issue with PAL/NTSC for our commercial DVD's we brought with us to watch with our friends at their homes or in hotels in those countries. We have also purchased over the last 30+ years TV's for our clients ( LG, Samsung, Sony, JVC, RCA, etc) and they all 100% play PAL/NTSC without issues.

There are still many junk/garbage TV's being produced that will only play one format but it is simply a matter to return and get a refund and purchase a proper one. Unless you are using ancient analog connections, HDMI or DP digital connections do not care about PAL/NTSC format and will play both seamlessly.

Between my partner and I, we own over 60,000 commercial Beta, VHS, DVD, Bluray media and they are all mixed PAL/NTSC format. They have always played properly, without issues on any TV we played them on.

I don't know where Dazed is originally from but PAL/NTSC has not been an issue since the late 80's. That is when the older CRT TV's were slowly being replaced by modern TV's.
As Ch3vr0n has indicated, Region coding still is a factor throughout the world but someday hopefully it will be eradicated and we will have truly universal border-free media :)

NTSC is predominant in U.S., Canada, Mexico, most areas of Central & South America, Japan, Taiwan, and Korea.
PAL is predominant in U.K., Germany, Spain, Portugal, Italy, China, India, Australia, most of Africa and the Middle East.

My business partner and I have traveled to most of those countries over the last 30+ years for our business dealings and we have never, I repeat, NEVER had an issue with PAL/NTSC for our commercial DVD's we brought with us to watch with our friends at their homes or in hotels in those countries. We have also purchased over the last 30+ years TV's for our clients ( LG, Samsung, Sony, JVC, RCA, etc) and they all 100% play PAL/NTSC without issues.

There are still many junk/garbage TV's being produced that will only play one format but it is simply a matter to return and get a refund and purchase a proper one. Unless you are using ancient analog connections, HDMI or DP digital connections do not care about PAL/NTSC format and will play both seamlessly.

Between my partner and I, we own over 60,000 commercial Beta, VHS, DVD, Bluray media and they are all mixed PAL/NTSC format. They have always played properly, without issues on any TV we played them on.
It's not the TV, it's the DVD player. Probably 90% of standalone DVD players in the US are NTSC only, old or new.

Hello forum: Maybe I did not explain it right in my original post. Here goes, When my granddaughter was in Russia visiting her
grandmother she was given three or four dvd's in Russian. Since she is bilingual she would love to play these on her dvd player here in the states.
Her dvd player here will not play region 5. That is why I thought the new version of anydvd hd 8.2.3.0 just might remove the region code. If it does not
not a problem I will use my DVD Converter from VSO software, but I wanted to see if anydvd hd would do it first. I hope I explained it right.

Hello forum: Maybe I did not explain it right in my original post. Here goes, When my granddaughter was in Russia visiting her
grandmother she was given three or four dvd's in Russian. Since she is bilingual she would love to play these on her dvd player here in the states.
Her dvd player here will not play region 5. That is why I thought the new version of anydvd hd 8.2.3.0 just might remove the region code. If it does not
not a problem I will use my DVD Converter from VSO software, but I wanted to see if anydvd hd would do it first. I hope I explained it right.
AnyDVD WILL remove the region code and make the back-up region free.

But the other factor is whether the original is in NTSC or PAL video format. Most DVD players in the USA only play video in the NTSC format. There are some (like in post #4 above) that will play both formats. If the original discs are in NTSC format, you are good to go and the back-ups should be fine. If they are in PAL, even though the region coding has been removed, it would depend on whether your granddaughter's DVD player can play the PAL format. If not, the DVD would need to be converted to NTSC format, or get a DVD player that plays both. DVD's usually state on the case whether it is NTSC or PAL. If you have the covers, check to see if they state what video format they are in. NTSC, you are good. PAL, you would need to use VSO and convert.

Last edited:
Yes you are right about the PAL or NTSC factor. So that remains a question. I will overcome it somehow. I will let the forum know what the outcome is.

I don't know where Dazed is originally from but PAL/NTSC has not been an issue since the late 80's.

I don't know where your from, but DVDs didn't exist in the 80s, and most DVD players in the US will not play PAL DVDs.

I don't know where your from, but DVDs didn't exist in the 80s, and most DVD players in the US will not play PAL DVDs.

I was referring to TV's not DVDS :); which didn't hit mainstream till 2000+
Back then VHS and BETA tapes came in PAL/NTSC format based on where you bought them.

Back then VHS and BETA tapes came in PAL/NTSC format based on where you bought them.
But nobody else here was referring to vhs at any point, making that reply (sry to say that) not even remotely relevantto this topic. Hence the confusion caused

Sent from my Nexus 7 with Tapatalk

You said, "PAL/NTSC has not been an issue since the late 80's," which is demonstrably untrue. Bringing up video tapes is just moving the goal post (and completely irrelevant).

DrX

I would like to thank all of members above who helped me to solve my problem. Your comments together put me on the correct road.

A little background. I live in the USA (NTSC) and also have family in Australia (PAL). I had been looking for a few replacements on classic videos which I had converted from VHS years ago. I do like to go back to these videos from time to time because they were great. During one of my trips I purchased a copy of "The Ipcress File" (PAL version) thinking that if I could convert it to NTSC my sources for classics would be larger. And the vids could be less expensive.
Secondarily, I backup these older videos using BD Rebuilder to record a series on more durable discs.

I had spend weeks going through Redfox forum with the only hit being a comment made by Ch3vrOn stating "convert PAL to NTSC". My first request was in the wrong place in the forum as pointed out by Ch3vrOn. Classic mistake for beginner to the Forum.

I took tectpro's advice and took a much closer look at VOS software, which I had purchase in the past, and spotted "convertXtoDVD". Spent a couple of days testing on a trial version with great success. But, BD Rebuilder didn't like the output. I used DVD Shrink3.2 to Re-author and problem solved.

Thank you all again for your help.
dazed

AnyDVD WILL remove the region code and make the back-up region free.

But the other factor is whether the original is in NTSC or PAL video format. Most DVD players in the USA only play video in the NTSC format...

Do I have this right?

I'm in the US.

If I have a Region 2 PAL DVD, I'm ok to play it on the computer with AnyDVD since AnyDVD will convert the Region and the computer doesn't care about NTSC/PAL?

I ask because I have been trying to find a DVD of the original Stepford Wives from 1975 on Amazon.

The only one I could find under $20 is Region 2 PAL so I gave up.

But, I could play this on the computer with AnyDVD?

And if I wanted to play in a standard NTSC DVD player, I would need to use DVD Converter from VSO to make a disc backup in NTSC?

T

Back