• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

OPPO .... firmware and related stuff. And also unrelated stuff.

Journbon

Well this is interesting. I admit I haven't brought a new OPPO since they took away the Bluray ISO support but their DVD/Bluray players were really top notch IMO.They were a bit on the expensive side though. I never updated the original FW so my 2 players still play Bluray ISO's but I know they won't last forever.

https://www.oppodigital.com/farewell.aspx

Well that blows, no other company makes them as good as Oppo. Same with customer service, no company can match their performance when it comes to CS. A sign of the times, shiny discs are on their way out.

I still use my BDP-83 and BDP-93 a lot. Both region-free. I skipped over the BDP-10x series because the 9x series was just fine. I'd been holding off on the UDP-20x just because it wasn't super important for me to have. I may have to rethink that decision.

I haven't needed the 203 yet, and even with this news, I'm not sure I'm going to get one either. As long as I can rip the discs and have a device that will play the file I'm good. The 103D has been an outstanding media player but it won't do 4K files so I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet.

Well that blows, no other company makes them as good as Oppo. Same with customer service, no company can match their performance when it comes to CS. A sign of the times, shiny discs are on their way out.
I guess there are not enough videophiles to support Oppo, or so I assume the reason why Oppo is shutting down.

Hmph... "A sign of the times, shiny discs are on their way out".
I guess the majority of people are just not discerning enough when it comes to video quality, Vudu is the worst, they call that 1080p !? The movie "Marshal" was barely watchable with severe aliasing.
Amazon's 1080p wasn't much better with compression artifacts and just a general loss of resolution.
Windows 10 "Movie and TV" is probably the better of the three with the least amount of artifacts and the best clarity, but still no where what the actual discs have to offer.
No streaming has Atmos or high def sound, just multi channel.

And that's the problem I guess, the majority doesn't seem to care about that stuff.
It will be a dark day indeed if actual media is discontinued.

I guess there are not enough videophiles to support Oppo, or so I assume the reason why Oppo is shutting down.

Hmph... "A sign of the times, shiny discs are on their way out".
I guess the majority of people are just not discerning enough when it comes to video quality, Vudu is the worst, they call that 1080p !? The movie "Marshal" was barely watchable with severe aliasing.
Amazon's 1080p wasn't much better with compression artifacts and just a general loss of resolution.
Windows 10 "Movie and TV" is probably the better of the three with the least amount of artifacts and the best clarity, but still no where what the actual discs have to offer.
No streaming has Atmos or high def sound, just multi channel.

And that's the problem I guess, the majority doesn't seem to care about that stuff.
It will be a dark day indeed if actual media is discontinued.
I agree. Not only do I believe that the best quality comes from the actual physical disc but I don't like relying on streaming. Especially when storms hit and the internet goes out for whatever reason. I know I can always pop in a bluray disc or play a backup bluray ISO via my OPPO.

OPPO was great for guys who are into 8 dedicated amps as the back supported 8 rca outs. I still have a demon amp that takes 8 rca ins and have it hooked up to pc with maudio 8 channel for capturing trueHD, dtshd and other formats. Can eq each surround channel with Cubase and do 7.1 surround music recording with 7.1 real time monitors. Most do hdmi but this setup is nice. I was considering OPPO but decided on power DVD with Realtek decoding htpc 7.1. Before I got maudio I was seriously looking at rca 7.1 on OPPO . Most new amps it's all hdmi but some of us older guys have some really nice old amps that sound better than the new 1000w jobs they up sell to new home theater buffs. My amp is mosfit dedicated powered amps in my system. Will miss OPPO. ....

OPPO was great for guys who are into 8 dedicated amps as the back supported 8 rca outs. I still have a demon amp that takes 8 rca ins and have it hooked up to pc with maudio 8 channel for capturing trueHD, dtshd and other formats. Can eq each surround channel with Cubase and do 7.1 surround music recording with 7.1 real time monitors. Most do hdmi but this setup is nice. I was considering OPPO but decided on power DVD with Realtek decoding htpc 7.1. Before I got maudio I was seriously looking at rca 7.1 on OPPO . Most new amps it's all hdmi but some of us older guys have some really nice old amps that sound better than the new 1000w jobs they up sell to new home theater buffs. My amp is mosfit dedicated powered amps in my system. Will miss OPPO. ....
I think the top end Panasonic still has 7 channel analogue out.

Oppo players are (were) great, but IMHO they were overhyped, too. Some good ideas, like subtitle positioning, but in the end, it wasn't so great (only fixed offset, no dimming). The best feature was the iso playback capability (great for AnyDVD testing), which unfortunately didn't last long.

A sign of the times, shiny discs are on their way out.
Don't be so sure of that. We're still here, aren't we? Part of the reason for this may simply be that fewer people are buying dedicated players. I know I cannot speak for everyone when I say this, but personally, why would I want a dedicated player when I can get a computer and put a Blu-Ray drive in it? At least using a computer allows me the freedom to do other stuff?

Don't be so sure of that. We're still here, aren't we? Part of the reason for this may simply be that fewer people are buying dedicated players. I know I cannot speak for everyone when I say this, but personally, why would I want a dedicated player when I can get a computer and put a Blu-Ray drive in it? At least using a computer allows me the freedom to do other stuff?
With Asus and uhd 4k my setup is complete except for Dolby vision hdr.

The best players in the world are no longer produced?

What is the crap?

Once Oppo always Oppo.

And now?

Is this an April Fool's joke?

So sad. Expensive products. Priced themselves out of the market perhaps? I have a very old oppo dvd player. I was very happy with it at the time.

F**********************************************************CCCKK.

I put off buying the 205's I wanted to eventually get. Now remaining inventory is $4,000.00 each.

That SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKS.

Thanks. It says my e-mail address is already registered. I hope so. (I never entered it on that page but I must have someplace else on Oppo.com before.)

I may just go with the Sony or Denon region free 4K player from JVB Digital. I wanted more than one 205 and if Oppo does ship more of them later this year it will most certainly be one per customer, since the market price for even a used Oppo 205 right now is $3,500 - $4,000.

It seems I always wait too long when it comes to buying Oppo products and I always get bit pretty hard as a result. :\

Back