• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Liteon Lh-20a1h

DetroitBaseball

Just got this drive today, for my mom. When I plug it in and restart, all DVD drives disappear and do not work. When I plug the old one back in, everything works. Does anyone know what might be going wrong? I also checked in the BIOS and it reports the new drive as unknown. Everything was connected properly too. Does this model require master and slave? The older setup does not use master and slave connections.

DetroitBaseball, I've noticed that these days optical drives need to be set as "Master and Slave" (IDE PATA types) to work from the same controller cable. at one time it didn't seem to matter?

I assume you have tried setting it this way? Are they on the same cable? I can't think what else is causing your problem at the moment.

Does this model require master and slave? The older setup does not use master and slave connections.

How was your "older setup" connected? When two optical drives are connected on one IDE channel of the MOBO, they must be set as Master and Slave or both set to Cable Select.

They had nothing plugged into the master/slave/cable select slot. They used the same cable which branched off into 2 plugs from just one slot in the motherboard. I have no cords that plug into master/slave/select slot.

They had nothing plugged into the master/slave/cable select slot. They used the same cable which branched off into 2 plugs from just one slot in the motherboard. I have no cords that plug into master/slave/select slot.

That is quite odd! I assume this is in a pre-built PC? There are no cords that attach for Master-Slave-Cable Select. They use a small jumper pin. Some drives are set as Master with no jumper but that is on HDD's.

Set new ide burner to master. Set old ide optical drive to slave. (Do this with the jumper pins). Use an 80 wire cable.

Blue (sometimes red) end goes into the motherboard; black end goes into your burner. Grey end goes to the slave device. Ensure jumper on the back of the burner is set to "master", and that the jumper on the back of the slave device is set to "slave".

Set new ide burner to master. Set old ide optical drive to slave. (Do this with the jumper pins). Use an 80 wire cable.

Blue (sometimes red) end goes into the motherboard; black end goes into your burner. Grey end goes to the slave device. Ensure jumper on the back of the burner is set to "master", and that the jumper on the back of the slave device is set to "slave".
I got nothing that plugs into the master/slave slot on the back. The first 2 drives came without using master and slave.

I got nothing that plugs into the master/slave slot on the back. The first 2 drives came without using master and slave.

The new burner should have come with a jumper pin. Is it a SATA burner? If not, go to a computer store and ask to buy two jumper pins. Should be very cheap. Also get an 80 wire ide cable while you're at it (if both drives are ide).

The new burner should have come with a jumper pin. Is it a SATA burner? If not, go to a computer store and ask to buy two jumper pins. Should be very cheap. Also get an 80 wire ide cable while you're at it (if both drives are ide).
It is not a SATA burner. I don't understand why we would need jumper pins when I was able to install a new burner in an identical setup with no problems.

It is not a SATA burner. I don't understand why we would need jumper pins when I was able to install a new burner in an identical setup with no problems.

Yeah, that doesn't make any sense why it worked in the first place. Were you just using one cable last time or two? Regardless, with the new burner you should be using an 80 wire cable--and chances are you do need those two jumper pins (they should be freakishly cheap).

It is one cable coming from the motherboard but it has another connector coming from it to allow two drives to be hooked up. I did the same thing with my Pioneer and it works.

Hi :)
It sounds to me as if you were just lucky with the previous setup.
Now you need to set the jumpers.

The above is for a guidline.
Interesting that it comes from Lite-On too.

Hi :)
The diagram is merely to show you that Lite-On DVDRWs (IDE) do have jumpers. Which may or may not require changing.
So although there is a reference to HDs.
This had nothing to do with my point.

It is one cable coming from the motherboard but it has another connector coming from it to allow two drives to be hooked up. I did the same thing with my Pioneer and it works.

That's the cable you're talking about--and not the jumper pins.

Again, you need

1) one 80 wire cable (Blue/sometimes red end goes into the motherboard; black end goes into your burner. Grey end goes to the slave device.)

2) two jumper pins . . . Ensure jumper on the back of the burner is set to "master", and that the jumper on the back of the slave device is set to "slave".

/shrug

A Pioneer drive will work without any jumper cables but a LITE-ON won't?

Back