• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Audio track issue when copying Fringe S1 D1

offspring991

Good morning,

I'm experiencing issues when backing up Fringe Season 1 Disc 1 to MKV. The first time I ran it, everything seemed to work fine, I had a functional MKV for the disc and was preparing to split it into separate episode files. I identified the split timestamps and started it, however the split app only seemed to want to generate a single file.

Upon further inspection, I found that the original MKV did not have the full 4 episodes that I was expecting. I re-ran cloneBD on the disc a couple more times and found the same results every time. I then went into cloneBD and poked around to see if I could figure out what was causing it. The original track selection of the disc is showing a full 4 hours worth of video, however when I run the MKV backup in CloneBD, it stops at 80 minutes every time (no errors, it reports a successful copy).

I ran the track I had selected in CloneBD using the preview player, and found what I believe is the problem. CloneBD has track 4 selected, which is definitely the right playlist, however when CloneBD runs it, it ends up playing the commentary version instead. At 80 minutes, the commentary track ends with the end of that episode, and I think CloneBD sees that as the end of the playlist and stops. All of this, in spite of the fact that CloneBD says track 4 has 4 hours worth of video.

Are there any settings on my end I can adjust to correct this?

See attached screenshots, and let me know if you need anything else from me.

Audio menu.png Copy Mode.png Target settings.png Title Selection.png

Last edited:
Well you provided lots of info and screenshots but you left out the most important thing. The CloneBD logfile.

Sent from my Nexus 6P with Tapatalk

I don't know the cause of why CloneBD doesn't give you the full length MKV with all the episodes.
However you could try manually splitting the episodes with CloneBD's built in cutting/trimming tool and set the starting trim point at the 80 minute mark and end trim point as the next timestamp you need for that episode, worth a try while you wait for a developer to look at your logs and pinpoint the problem.

Edit: Title 15 and 16 look like 2 of the episodes. So selecting those should give you those episodes separately. Then you can manually cut/trim the remaining episodes.

I'll try the trimmer and see what happens.

With regards to 15 and 16, 15 is the actual commentary track for episode 1. It has the *exact* same playback behavior as playing Title 4 in the preview player, with the same commentary in the same places. There's no functional difference between the two post copy, they only appear to be different in the track selection screen where 4 is 3h52m and 15 is 1h21m.

Similarly, 16 is a commentary version of Episode 3.

Last edited:
Also, if it helps any, the disc plays perfectly in a normal player. PowerDVD, PS4, etc.

I'll try the trimmer and see what happens.
With regards to 15 and 16, 15 is the actual commentary track for episode 1. It has the *exact* same playback behavior as playing Title 4 in the preview player, with the same commentary in the same places. There's no functional difference between the two post copy, they only appear to be different in the track selection screen where 4 is 3:52 and 15 is 1:21.
Similarly, 16 is a commentary version of Episode 3.

Ah I see. Looks like the 5.1 track is hidden in 15/16 and so CloneBD doesn't list it. You can try the trimmer, but that may not work either then.

Did the 80 minute MKV output have the commentary or the correct audio?

Ah I see. Looks like the 5.1 track is hidden in 15/16 and so CloneBD doesn't list it. You can try the trimmer, but that may not work either then.

Did the 80 minute MKV output have the commentary or the correct audio?

The very first MKV I made had the correct audio. I managed to get a single copy of episode one with normal audio. Every copy since has given me episode 1 with commentary, both in the player preview and the MKV output.

I'd be inclined to just skip the first episode and get the rest, but because this disc only has a single playlist for all 4 episodes, I have to go through episode 1 to get to 2-4, and I can't because it stops at the end of #1 every time.

I ran Disc 2 and experienced an audio desync issue, which was corrected by switching to software decoding. Otherwise, no issues with the cloneBD output or with the 4 episode MKVs I split it into.

Disc 5 has similar problems, which coincidentally has a commentary on episode 17, the first episode on the disc.

See the attached file. Title 45, 1, and 34 ALL give a commentary version of the first episode. It took me a while to find the commentary, as they don't start until a few minutes in, but it's there for all 3 versions of that episode. Further, when I try to copy that disc, it stops at the end of the first episode just like Disc 1 did, despite showing 3 hours of video for both Title 45 and 1. When the same disc is run in powerdvd, audio is fine, no commentary unless I explicitly select it.

Attachments

• Title Selection.png
    Title Selection.png
    828.5 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Another curiosity found with season 2. The titles for these discs appear to be a little more clear cut, with what appears to be a clearly distinct titles intended for the commentary episodes. This is reinforced by the results found in Process Monitor when I launch it in PowerDVD.

That having been said, CloneBD seems to be getting confused about which audio track it should be using. In the screenshot, you'll find Titles 207 and 74. According to procmon, 74 is launched when I want to view to normal episode, and 207 is launched when I want commentary. When I view them using the preview player in CloneBD, I could almost flip a coin to guess whether it'll play it or not. I preview episode 74, no commentary, I preview episode 74 again, now it has commentary. I close it out again and preview a 3rd time, now no commentary. The exact same title.

So far I've gotten lucky, I've only had to re-run an episode once to fix commentary. This seems to be a recurring theme across every disc I've backed up though, and is probably what's causing my issues with Season 1 Disc 1. There's two nearly identical audio tracks on the disc and CloneBD is sporadically picking the wrong one.

Attachments

• Commentary track.png
    Commentary track.png
    380.2 KB · Views: 4
That having been said, CloneBD seems to be getting confused about which audio track it should be using. In the screenshot, you'll find Titles 207 and 74. According to procmon, 74 is launched when I want to view to normal episode, and 207 is launched when I want commentary. When I view them using the preview player in CloneBD, I could almost flip a coin to guess whether it'll play it or not. I preview episode 74, no commentary, I preview episode 74 again, now it has commentary. I close it out again and preview a 3rd time, now no commentary. The exact same title.

Did you click on the different audio tracks during playback (NOT! the checkmark, that only selects which tracks will be copied, but on the text)? Without a log file, I can't say what the setup of both playlists looks like, but CloneBD should honour your selection of audio tracks.

I've attached a log file earlier in the thread, post #6. I've also fiddled with every option I can find. Audio languages, subtitle languages, every option on the final page prior to conversion, everything that seems remotely relevant in the settings menu, everything. I don't seem to have any control over which audio track it plays. Even had a couple times where the preview player gave normal audio, no commentary, but the file output still had the commentary. I'll copy the exact same track twice, NO changes whatsoever to any of the settings, and yet one will have commentary, the other will not. I'll preview the same track, sometimes it has commentary, sometimes it doesn't. There's no rhyme or reason to it as far as I can tell.

I've managed to make it to season 4 so far, but I've had to rebuild several episodes more than once in order to get a copy without the commentary. S1 Disc 1 and Disc 5 gave me a lot of trouble because of the way those discs are built with a single playlist, and the first episode on both discs had commentary. The burn would stop after the first episode every time without fail, commentary or not. I was able to work around that with disc 5 by repeatedly making copies until I got a clean first episode, and then using the trimming tool in cloneBD to snip the first episode and copy the rest. This gave me the remainder of the disc in a single file, and then I broke it up from there using mkvtoolnix. I haven't had the same kind of luck with Disc 1, however I'm thinking that's due to a scratch on the disc and not a software issue. The disc plays fine in a player, but cloneBD throws a ton of read errors when I snip episode 1 and try to copy the rest, before eventually failing.

Last edited:
Back