• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

AnyDVD (HD) 8.2.2.2 beta - Dolby Vision question

godu

I found the following information in the release notes:

- New (UHD Blu-ray): Handle DolbyVision playlists

I have already done several backups (always ISO image) - do I have to make a new backup for UHDs with a Dolby Vision playlist? Or it's only the case if I use e.g. CloneBD?

Thanks.

@godu, yes you will need to recreate those ISO backups. Every one of my Dolby Vision UHD discs backed up by prior versions of AnyDVD were unusable by CloneBD, PowerDVD, and by my Dune 4K media players.

--michael

yes you will need to recreate those ISO backups. Every one of my Dolby Vision UHD discs backed up by prior versions of AnyDVD were unusable by CloneBD, PowerDVD, and by my Dune 4K media players.

--michael

Would you have to re-do the backups if the iso's you created are protected?

Don't protected iso's basically decrypt again every time you use them?

T

@testiles, sorry, I can't answer that question. I don't create protected backups since I play all my backup ISOs on external devices (Dune) where AnyDVD is not an option for on-the-fly decrypting.

If you have Dolby Vision UHD discs and some time to play you could do the experiment yourself. Unfortunately I won't have that kind of free time for a while -- someone else would need to do it and report back.

Cheers,

--michael

Would you have to re-do the backups if the iso's you created are protected?
Don't protected iso's basically decrypt again every time you use them?

If they are protected ISO's then they will be fine, you just need to make sure you have the latest AnyDVD beta to decrypt them.

If they are protected ISO's then they will be fine, you just need to make sure you have the latest AnyDVD beta to decrypt them.

Good news!

I was hoping that would be the case.

That's one of the reasons I prefer backing up to protected iso's rather than already-decrypted non-protected. Any adjustments to decryption along the way and you're still good-to-go ...

Of course, for the UHD's the downside is should I have an Internet outage, the backups are useless.

T

It seemed obvious to me that protected ISOs of UHD discs, because they are undecoded bit-for-bit copies, should be perfect copies and that the version of AnyDVD used to create the protected ISO shouldn't matter.

However, in the interest of completeness, and in the full knowledge that software bugs do exist even in the simplest code, I have tested the theory.

I created a protected ISO backup of the American Assassin UHD disc that I mentioned in my first post, above, after downgrading to AnyDVD v8.2.2.0. That version is known to have the problem of decoding Dolby-Vision playlists. I then mounted the protected ISO using VCD and AnyDVD 8.2.2.0 recognized and decoded the disc. CloneBD was then unable to read most of those playlists from the mounted ISO, because of this known bug.

I then exited CloneBD and unloaded AnyDVD, and then upgraded to the latest beta of AnyDVD, 8.2.2.2. I remounted the same protected ISO, which AnyDVD 8.2.2.2 also decoded, and started CloneBD which now had no problems reading any playlists. All playlists seemed to preview just fine.

Belt and suspenders testing, I know, but I thought it was worth the exercise to confirm that AnyDVD is, in fact, just as fabulous as we think it is! :bowdown:

Cheers,

--michael

LOVE that you did that testing. Theory and practical do not always match, but in this case they did.

Is any software or hardware capable of playing a Dolby Vision .iso?
That is a question beyond the scope of this topic and forum section. Please use the proper sections for that type of discussion.

Sent from my Nexus 6P with Tapatalk

Sorry I thought because the title of the thread is Dolby Vision question it was okay to ask here.

It gets confusing. In another thread in this forum - post 13 and several times after that you had asked about UHD friendly drives in this forum so I thought it would be okay to ask a software question.

https://forum.redfox.bz/threads/anydvd-uhd-status.74435/

What forum should I ask my question in then?

Last edited:
Yeah but the dv question by the op was directly related to decryption, as the previous beta had problems. There's a difference. And the topic you linked was specifically for general questions like yours, had it will be open.

the 'third party products' or 'general chat' up top are fine.

Sent from my Nexus 7 with Tapatalk

Back